Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Aw damn! I sympathize with your problem.

You made a mistake. I think it's a recoverable one. Go talk to the manager and request that you be shown any other available units, or request to be informed when units are vacated that you might change to. I think it might be reasonable to be charged some fee to move (related to cleaning) but you shouldn't just assume right off that management will be unsympathetic to your request.

It's entirely reasonable to expect to be moved as soon as you can be accommodated. I had exactly this same situation when I rented an apartment which turned out to be right over a freeway on ramp. I had to wait a few weeks until they had a vacancy on the other side of the building, and ended up with a much nicer and very quiet (for apartments) apartment. It was a nicer apartment and because of that my rent went up a bit but I was a lot happier there than I would have been in the first apartment.
This place rarely has vacancies because it's affordable and in West Hollywood. I will ask though. The manager says that if you live facing the pool it can get loud too because people slam the pool door. As for the people living in the back units that face the next building, he claims that one of the tenants here is always fighting with a tenant in the building next door because they can hear the dog barking non-stop. I guess what he is trying to tell me is that it's noisy all around...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 AM

396 posts, read 906,346 times
You really shouldn't have moved to the city if such a thing bothers you.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:17 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Exactly, from the various threads it seems as if this person isn't quite the city dweller they imagined themselves to be.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
It is possible to live in the city and have the building well insulated. It's because my building is OLD. I doubt the people in the more expensive units can hear anything. I'll just move to a more expensive and newer building. No big deal.

This has nothing to do with the "CITY", it has to do with the BUILDING.

THERE ARE BUILDINGS IN THE CITY THAT HAVE DOUBLE OR TRIPLE PANED WINDOWS and are insulated against noise. I am planning on moving to one of those as soon as possible. Of course I'll have to pay more but it is worth it.

Not all buildings are the same. If you pay enough, I'm sure you can find a building where you will hear NOTHING.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:38 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
When you look for your new place be sure to take a friend along. A nice, observant friend who can help you look at the place objectively and avoid this type of problem.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
LIVING ABOVE A GARAGE WHERE 100 CARS GO IN AND OUT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LIVING IN THE CITY.

The same thing that can happen if you live in the suburbs! It's the garage that bothers me more than everything.

What does that have to do with living in the city? There are almost 100 units here, mine is the ONLY one that is situated DIRECTLY above the garage. Do you understand this?

This is not a CITY problem; this is a problem of me picking a bad UNIT. How DARE you say that I should not have move to the city if this bothers me?

No one else in this building is above the garage, JUST ME. Other people cannot hear cars driving under them 100x a day. It is only ME.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:09 PM

396 posts, read 906,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
It is possible to live in the city and have the building well insulated. It's because my building is OLD. I doubt the people in the more expensive units can hear anything. I'll just move to a more expensive and newer building. No big deal.

This has nothing to do with the "CITY", it has to do with the BUILDING.

THERE ARE BUILDINGS IN THE CITY THAT HAVE DOUBLE OR TRIPLE PANED WINDOWS and are insulated against noise. I am planning on moving to one of those as soon as possible. Of course I'll have to pay more but it is worth it.

Not all buildings are the same. If you pay enough, I'm sure you can find a building where you will hear NOTHING.
You'll just find something else to complain about.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
You'll just find something else to complain about.
However, that has nothing to do with "City Life Not Being Right" for me as you so claim. Yep; I like to complain and it's a free country. I can complain as much as I like. So what?

Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 PM

Even though it is loud and I love to complain I would still 100x rather be here in WEST HOLLYWOOD than a DREARY suburb like Irvine or OC. I would rather be here and become deaf from the garage opening 100x a day and hearing traffic zoom by me and hear the ghetto bird every night rather than live on boring, family oriented, horrible OC.

Yep, I like to complain but WeHo is still MUCH better than the suburban HELL I was living in. Irvine is the worst. Someone gave me a reputation point and told me to move back to OC and consider Irvine. No thanks, I would rather subject myself to the noise than go back to that hell.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:57 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,771 times
Sorry but I agree that you really didn't ask yourself if living in the city was something you could deal with (noise-wise). You live in the city, in LOS ANGELES for christsake. Either you weren't honest with yourself or you did not do your homework when trying to find a place to live. If you already know that an apartment with better paned windows would cut a lot of noise out (certainly not all of it) then why didnt you live there in the first place?
If want to hear crickets at night instead of the city (which you're going to hear anyway if you LIVE in the city but I digress) you need to consider the following when getting an apartment:

Location - does it face the pool? Street? Entrance to parking or garage? Is the unit near an elevator? Look at the unit from the street or outside and LISTEN. Take time inside the unit and listen to what is going on.
Insulation - how well insulated are the units? Windows? In between units?
Neighborhood- if you live in a busy neighborhood, which you do, you will no doubt hear people, sirens, cars, traffic and other noises consistent with city life - no matter what side of the building you live on or how sound-proof your windows are.
But it sounds like you knew all this when you rented and just want to biitch about it now. Either that or you're really, really naive about apartment living in the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles