Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:05 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times

Advertisements

Lived my whole life here without a car. If you live near a rail or rapid line, fine. If you live in a suburb then it's a little tougher. Traffic is making them more unreliable and they are also getting more and more crowded. Great for the convenience factor of getting downtown or something but I couldn't imagine having to actually depend on one every day to get to work.

I walk to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 10:19 AM

497 posts, read 1,503,976 times
Default Its available but not very user friendly

Last night I had to drop off a car at approx/ Pico and Sepulveda then get to my car which was near Wilshire and 26th street/santa monica.

I thought I could either hail a cab or catch a bus...had no idea when a bus would show and didnt want to stand at a stop for 20-30 minutes wondering. So I started walking, saw about 3 buses pass me up at different points of the trip and hailed 2 cabs that were in route somewhere else. I ended up walking to bundy/santa monica, ran across the street through traffic, and caught a westbound bus for about 3 minutes to 26th street...Then walked up to wilshire. total cost $1.00.

There may be public transportation available, but they need to post accurate time schedules and details at their bus stops.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:25 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
There may be public transportation available, but they need to post accurate time schedules and details at their bus stops.
while it would be nice to have timetables posted at bus stops, it seems like you didn't do your homework either.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:30 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
When I was on jury duty in downtown L.A. I decided to see how easy it would be to get there via public transportation. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I could take the 183 bus to the North Hollywood Metro Station, and then I caught the Red Line subway straight to downtown. Entire trip - about 45 minutes. That subway station was right across the street from the courthouse; it sure beat parking a mile away and walking!

However, I work in Woodland Hills beginning at 6:30 a.m. every day. Besides the fact that it's dark at that hour (I'm looking forward to standard time again!), I'd have to catch the first bus at 5:41, not to mention that I'd have to walk a few blocks when I get to work, again in the dark. I wake up at 5:35 now, and leave at 6:10. I can't imagine taking public transportation to and from work in my particular situation.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
while it would be nice to have timetables posted at bus stops, it seems like you didn't do your homework either.
Actually, I did check the blue bus schedule online, which is scattered and not very user friendly. They indicate a bus every 10 minutes along olympic but that did not seem to be the case while on the street waiting and walking along.

When I did ride the bus, it was dirty. Seats were discolored/brown from filth. If a transportation system cannot communicate their route, grid, schedule etc and make it easy to access, they are not really a transportation system.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:36 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,612 times
Over 10% of LA commuters takes mass transit.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:22 PM

46 posts, read 185,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
Actually, I did check the blue bus schedule online, which is scattered and not very user friendly. They indicate a bus every 10 minutes along olympic but that did not seem to be the case while on the street waiting and walking along.

When I did ride the bus, it was dirty. Seats were discolored/brown from filth. If a transportation system cannot communicate their route, grid, schedule etc and make it easy to access, they are not really a transportation system.
It sounds like you took Santa Monica's big blue bus, but if you ever take metro, they recently installed a web-based GPS bus tracking system that gives you real time arrivals at stops. Here it is:

Nextrip Bus Arrivals

It's also available on the mobile version of Metro's website.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:07 AM

91 posts, read 214,820 times
To the OP (ras124685), I lived for many years without a car. One thing to take into account is SCHLEPPING. Consider this when choosing your housing. Lugging groceries (or laundry) many blocks or taking groceries on transit is a real pain. You food costs will go up if you're not near a large, cheap grocery. Either you pay more to small, closer stores or you grow weary of schlepping and eat out more.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkatmu View Post
It sounds like you took Santa Monica's big blue bus, but if you ever take metro, they recently installed a web-based GPS bus tracking system that gives you real time arrivals at stops. Here it is:

Nextrip Bus Arrivals

It's also available on the mobile version of Metro's website.
Thanks, This is cool. I'm going to try it out next time.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:40 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Unless you live in a walkable community near a Metro station AND your workplace is within walking distance of another Metro station, you'll probably be very miserable after a few months without a car. And even if your commuting situation is ideal as described earlier, you'll be depending on your car-owning friends for the occasional trip to places without convenient public transportation access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles