Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,861 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Currently, we are living in Carlsbad, CA which I like very much. It is very safe, friendly and the schools are rated in the 8s and 9s, but we still picked a charter school since I would say that is questionable. A new job offer is taking us to LA, where I have spent no time and I would love advice on where would be best. We have 4 kids, 6 and under, so a safe place is the top priority. Also, for my sanity, I am hoping to rent a place with a decent sized yard since I can't be going to a park everyday. We can probably afford $2500/m, need at least 3 beds. and my husband would be commuting to Westwood right off the 405. He will be able to set his arrival time and go in at 6am if he wants so we don't think the commute will be such a problem for him. We haven't visited yet, but we are thinking as far as Santa Clarita or Thousand Oaks. It looks like there may be some nice areas closer that we should consider... Porter Ranch, Sherman Oaks, or Woodland Hills, for example? What about east? I think from what I know, all the above areas are really hot (save maybe SO), and I am used to Carlsbad... but heat is one of the sacrifices I would make for a nice community. Mostly, if there is an area there that would be affordable, and compares somewhat to here, that will be my first choice. Night life is not a concern, good schools, libraries, hiking trails, nice parks, low crime and affordability are. Also, school buses would be awesome. I spend 2-3 hours just driving kids around in circles and they don't even have sports yet! Does anyone still have buses? Thanks for any/all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 01:06 PM

156 posts, read 404,327 times
i like santa clarita for the commute,T.O is nicer overall id say but id go with S.C.they have real nice communities close to the I5 freeway.about a 30-40 min drive to westwood when no traffic.
ive seen rentals at this new community with all new schools,looks very nice.its called westhills. i believe its off copper cyn.shopping is near with lots of nice parks and walking areas,its nice

Old 11-03-2011, 03:49 PM

329 posts, read 628,054 times
I would stay in Carlsbad if you can because commute will be a killer in and out of westwood. If you have to then consider Beverly hills but you won't get much for $2500/month.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:16 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
$2500 will get you a 3br house in woodland hills most likely, but probably not thousand oaks. i'm not as familiar with santa clarita, but i know that it is less expensive than TO. the good news is that elementary schools in these areas are all rated very high (8-10). also, if it helps, all of these places have express commuter buses that run to westwood if that is something that interests your husband.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,861 times
I've just been told that Woodland Hills has pockets of good and bad, so if we can't rent for $2500 in TO, I suppose it will be SC afterall. I would stay here in Carlsbad.. $2000 will get you a 4 bed with over 2000sf, and we are so close to the beach... but the job is the thing. It would open up so many doors for us long term, it is worth the sacrifices in the short term. Again, a commute is not as much an issue and he will be able to telework a little and have every other Friday off, so that is secondary. He also doesn't mind the idea of taking the buses. Do TO and SC have buses for school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles