Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:05 PM

67 posts, read 206,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So where would you raise your (if you had them) kids in Southern California?
I grew up in the Verdugo Hills area (Glendale, Pasadena, Arcadia, La Cresenta, La Canada, etc.) and they are great neighborhoods. Unfortunately, as it has been a trend in the last 10 years, the school are not what they used to be.

Your question includes Orange County, right? Between LA or OC, I would choose OC to raise my family. Irvine, Newport, HB, Anaheim Hills, Tustin off the top of my head, but honestly, there are several great cities to raise families in OC. If you are flexible and just want to live in the LA/OC area, then choose OC for family. Home prices are similarly expensive, but the school systems are several notches above, especially if you live in Irvine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 07:31 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
It’s nice to see people sticking up for Long Beach. I think it gets a bad rap, unfairly. Mostly because of the media and rap music. The truth is Long Beach is not even in the top half of the 322 cities ranked as the most dangerous in the nation. One of the reasons I included Long Beach on my list is because unlike many of the other cities, it’s still a place were a moderate income family can live and have excellent public schools to send their kids to from K-12. It has 16 public schools including 1 high school with a “Great Schools” rating of 8 or better. A second high school has a rating of 7, which isn’t bad. I also agree that LB has a lot of great neighborhoods that some people just don’t seem to know about and the city offers a lot of shopping, recreation and entertainment amenities.

Our 27 year old son is a product of Long Beach schools - he graduated from Polytechnic High School, graduated Magna *** Laud from UCLA and is in his last year of law school and will soon be sworn into the Navy Jag program.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:30 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Long Beach

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Cattknap/cfiles2296.jpg (broken link)

Heartwell Golf Course:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Cattknap/p_heartwell.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-29-2007, 03:52 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Keep in mind that there are lots and lots of households in Los Angeles that don't include children. For those who do, education is a patchwork of sorts in L.A. and one can't simply rule out an area due to LAUSD. Hancock Park has it's Hancock Park Elementary, Silverlake has Ivanhoe, Mt. Washington has Mt. Washington Elementary...there are bright spots in this lackluster school district. Also, there are many charter and magnet schools. My good friend (who is currently on welfare) has her two sons on scholarship at charter schools in Los Feliz. That said, here's my list. It's diverse as not everyone has the same taste:

1. Pasadena/South Pasadena
2. Santa Monica
3. Hollywood Hills East (including Hollywood Dell, Beachwood Cyn, etc)
4. Hancock Park
5. Los Feliz/Silverlake
6. Burbank/Toluca Lake
7. Studio City
8. Malibu
9. (South) Redondo Beach
10. West Hollywood/Sunset Strip

Old 08-29-2007, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Long Beach

Although it didn't quite make my list, Long Beach is a perfectly underrated, underrespected area. I was down there last week and was amazed at the changes to Downtown in the last 2 years (I stayed on the Queen Mary for a week).

Old 08-29-2007, 10:56 AM

26 posts, read 186,114 times
I also agree that LB is underappreciated. I visited there and loved it. The area is beautiful and The Queen Mary is awesome!

Old 08-29-2007, 11:30 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Keep in mind that there are lots and lots of households in Los Angeles that don't include children. For those who do, education is a patchwork of sorts in L.A. and one can't simply rule out an area due to LAUSD. Hancock Park has it's Hancock Park Elementary, Silverlake has Ivanhoe, Mt. Washington has Mt. Washington Elementary...there are bright spots in this lackluster school district. Also, there are many charter and magnet schools.
Those are all elementary schools. Name ONE high school in LAUSD that's NOT a charter or a magnet that's a "bright spot". You can't, anymore.

Marshall (which Silver Lake is zoned for) and Fairfax (which Hancock Park is zoned for) are HORRIBLE schools. Not sure what HS Mt. Washington is zoned for.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Those are all elementary schools. Name ONE high school in LAUSD that's NOT a charter or a magnet that's a "bright spot". You can't, anymore.

Marshall (which Silver Lake is zoned for) and Fairfax (which Hancock Park is zoned for) are HORRIBLE schools. Not sure what HS Mt. Washington is zoned for.
You completely missed my point. Charter and Magnet schools are far more accessible than people think. I also said bright spots, not a wonderful school district. You're right about regular public high schools. Thankfully there are Magnet schools which are still public. These are the answer to lousey regular schools.

My larger point is that many households don't include children and to base a "top 10" list mostly on school districts doesn't serve them. My list includes areas with stellar school districts and stellar areas period.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:55 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,707 times
This approach presumes that life is based on living in the same place for a dozen years for the sake of the kids. As noted, many of the better urban areas in and around the city (Hancock Park, Fairfax, West Hollywood, Silver Lake) have wonderful elementary schools and, frankly, a much better quality of life than a farther-flung suburb. When it comes time for high school, then make a choice. And plenty of people look for solid areas with close-in amenities once the kids have hit the college-and-beyond road.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
This approach presumes that life is based on living in the same place for a dozen years for the sake of the kids.
I think for most parents living in the same area or place until their child/children graduate high school is preferred. Moving around when growing up can be very disruptive. I know from personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles