Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 03:22 PM

5 posts, read 19,495 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, first time poster here, I want to thank you guys in advance for reading this thread/providing useful insights.

I am planning to move to East LA in May next year. I will be going to school at Western University of Health Sciences - College of Osteopathic Medicine which is located in Pomona, LA.

I am from New Jersey, so I don't have a single clue about housing information in California. However, some friends have suggested Claremont, Diamond Bar, Walnut and Chino to live.

I'm looking for the following:
1) STUDIO or 1 Br Apartment in a nice neighborhood/community
2) $800-$1500 rent
3) Less than 20 minutes from Pomona, CA
4) Do NOT want to live in Pomona
5) Want to live somewhere in between downtown LA and Pomona, maybe close to a Metro station.

I'll add more to the list. Please suggest some areas/communities that I should be looking into. It'd be super nice if you could include a website too (that has more info/pictures).

Thanks again guys for any advice I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 05:35 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphkz View Post
Hey guys, first time poster here, I want to thank you guys in advance for reading this thread/providing useful insights.

I am planning to move to East LA in May next year. I will be going to school at Western University of Health Sciences - College of Osteopathic Medicine which is located in Pomona, LA.

I am from New Jersey, so I don't have a single clue about housing information in California. However, some friends have suggested Claremont, Diamond Bar, Walnut and Chino to live.

I'm looking for the following:
1) STUDIO or 1 Br Apartment in a nice neighborhood/community
2) $800-$1500 rent
3) Less than 20 minutes from Pomona, CA
4) Do NOT want to live in Pomona
5) Want to live somewhere in between downtown LA and Pomona, maybe close to a Metro station.

I'll add more to the list. Please suggest some areas/communities that I should be looking into. It'd be super nice if you could include a website too (that has more info/pictures).

Thanks again guys for any advice I can get.
The two items that are highlighted are absolutely not compatible.

The furthest towards downtown LA you could live from Pomona and still make it to the medical school with a 20 minute drive is the eastern parts of West Covina. It will take you 5 minutes(at least) just to get to the freeway from home, and then also from the freeway to the university. Your friends gave you good advice on where to live.

$800-1500 is a huge range and you will have your choice of one bedroom apartments anywhere in that area at that price. I'd venture so far as to say you would be challenged to find one bedroom apartments that are more expensive than that in that part of LA County.

BTW, that area is absolutely NOT "East LA". It is the eastern portion of Los Angeles,but East LA is about 20 miles to the west of there, in the area that is a few miles east of downtown LA. Like the area supposedly pictured in the movie "Born in East LA". Diamond Bar, West Covina, and Walnut are on the eastern fringes of the San Gabriel Valley. Pomona, while still in LA County, is sort of the unofficial start of the Inland Empire.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
The two items that are highlighted are absolutely not compatible.

The furthest towards downtown LA you could live from Pomona and still make it to the medical school with a 20 minute drive is the eastern parts of West Covina. It will take you 5 minutes(at least) just to get to the freeway from home, and then also from the freeway to the university. Your friends gave you good advice on where to live.

$800-1500 is a huge range and you will have your choice of one bedroom apartments anywhere in that area at that price. I'd venture so far as to say you would be challenged to find one bedroom apartments that are more expensive than that in that part of LA County.

BTW, that area is absolutely NOT "East LA". It is the eastern portion of Los Angeles,but East LA is about 20 miles to the west of there, in the area that is a few miles east of downtown LA. Like the area supposedly pictured in the movie "Born in East LA". Diamond Bar, West Covina, and Walnut are on the eastern fringes of the San Gabriel Valley. Pomona, while still in LA County, is sort of the unofficial start of the Inland Empire.
Got it, thank you so much for your clarifications and suggestions. How is West Covina compared to the other places I mentioned in my post?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:38 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Of the four your friend suggested - only Diamond Bar and Walnut are between LA and Pomona. Chino is in San Bernardino County and Claremont is north of Pomona.

Not sure what criteria you are looking for when you say "how is West Covina compared to the other places" - but Walnut and Diamond Bar are upscale "bedroom cities", Chino is a alright but generally cheaper and "grungier" then those two. This doesn't mean it is bad - Chino has industrial area, some dairys and farms, also a branch of the California State Prison system. It is convenient to commute from there to Pomona - and in Walnut, Diamond Bar, and Chino you can find rentals that fit your price range. I like Chino - worked their for a while and am considering buying there when I am able. I would rank West Covina between Walnut/Diamond Bar and Chino. It is a major commercial area for the East San Gabriel Valley - you can find rents that fit within your budget and as the above poster said it is not too far from your school.

Anyways, you will need to get your feet on the ground to really determine best fit. If finances and commute are primary issues - pick West Covina or Chino. If you don't mind a little longer commute - and like the idea of hills in your backyard for a slightly higher rent pick Walnut or Diamond Bar. Mount San Antonio College is in Walnut and lots of students live nearby - plus if you need to work the City of Industry is right next door. Possibility that an NFL stadium and team will come to the Walnut/Industry area soon. Might be good to get in before prices go through the roof. Good luck.

Last edited by Harrier; 11-09-2011 at 06:51 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 02:03 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,179,802 times
www.metro.net shows options for L.A. County public transportation. metrolinktrains.com/ is the site for Metrolink commuter trains, which cover other counties, as well (though are aimed at schedules of commuters). I like Claremont, but it is the opposite direction from L.A., if that's important. I agree you need to go explore the area onyour own, and check both real estate ads and perhaps a property managment company (specializes in rentals). I grew up in the San Fernando Valley (many years ago) and my sister lives in Upland (her husband teaches some night/weekend university class in Claremont), but I don't think I've ever been to Pomona itself except when I was a kid to go to the L.A. County Fair.

One weatlhy industrialist was pushing for a stadium in the City of Industry,but odds look better for one in downtown L.A. (they may not get a team, but may have a beautiful stadium).

Old 11-10-2011, 11:13 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,128 times
Claremont, Diamond Bar, and Walnut are all nice areas within 20 minutes of Pomona.

As the others have stated, they aren't really "between" downtown LA and Pomona.

Diamond Bar and Walnut are typical suburban areas (mostly built from the 70's/80's to the present).

Claremont has early 1900's charm....similar to Highland Park, N.J. Tree lined streets with beautiful old housing stock. The "metro" (read: Gold Line light rail) is not scheduled to open in Claremont until AT LEAST 2014 (perhaps later, can't recall).

Old 11-11-2011, 07:09 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,179,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Claremont, Diamond Bar, and Walnut are all nice areas within 20 minutes of Pomona.

As the others have stated, they aren't really "between" downtown LA and Pomona.

Diamond Bar and Walnut are typical suburban areas (mostly built from the 70's/80's to the present).

Claremont has early 1900's charm....similar to Highland Park, N.J. Tree lined streets with beautiful old housing stock. The "metro" (read: Gold Line light rail) is not scheduled to open in Claremont until AT LEAST 2014 (perhaps later, can't recall).
At least Metrolink commuter trains go through Claremont, though, as noted, their schedules are aimed at commuters and aren't as convenient as light rail.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys!!

I'm pretty set on Diamond Bar or Walnut.

I tried to search for some 1br apartments, and found a lot of them within my price range. But I'm having trouble searching for a STUDIO in a nice community. Does anyone know any area with STUDIO apartment?

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:27 PM

56 posts, read 126,571 times
Hey, I go to Western U!

Here's the deal.
Pomona is surrounded by good areas, if that's what you're worried about with Pomona.
Most students live in Claremont, Upland, Chino, Chino Hills, or La Verne. Us carless people live in Pomona.
For Claremont, you can expect to pay 1000-1200 for a good 1-bedroom (not sure about studio). It'll be a 5-10 minute drive to campus. You'll be close to the 10 fwy, and there's a Metrolink station in Claremont for the train to downtown.

Why do you need a studio?

In my experience, there are only studios where the rent is already high and in university areas (for some reason, though, not Western U). The rent is low enough around the area that most people get 1-bedrooms, and don't even look for a studio.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faunablues View Post
Hey, I go to Western U!

Here's the deal.
Pomona is surrounded by good areas, if that's what you're worried about with Pomona.
Most students live in Claremont, Upland, Chino, Chino Hills, or La Verne. Us carless people live in Pomona.
For Claremont, you can expect to pay 1000-1200 for a good 1-bedroom (not sure about studio). It'll be a 5-10 minute drive to campus. You'll be close to the 10 fwy, and there's a Metrolink station in Claremont for the train to downtown.

Why do you need a studio?

In my experience, there are only studios where the rent is already high and in university areas (for some reason, though, not Western U). The rent is low enough around the area that most people get 1-bedrooms, and don't even look for a studio.
Thanks so much for the input!!! How do you like it there? And what year are you? COMP? or dental/optometry/vet/other schools?

Yeah I'm trying to find a good place in Diamond Bar, and only came across Emerald Pointe. Does anyone else know of a good apartment complex/condos in Diamond Bar that they can recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles