Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Would You prefer To Live In If You Had Children?
Arcadia 4 14.81%
Temple City 0 0%
Rosemead 0 0%
Monterey Park 1 3.70%
San Marino 9 33.33%
San Gabriel 1 3.70%
Pasadena 11 40.74%
West Covina 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:09 AM

23 posts, read 99,460 times

Advertisements

Hi me and my Fiance' are thinking of moving to LA county. We have been California natives our whole lives. But we are from nor cal. So we don't know much about so cal due to the largeness of the state. We do have two children. both girls. We want to live somewhere safe beautiful and peaceful yet with lots do! we have been to Arcadia quite a lot recently. as it is currently rated the best place to raise kids in California. We love the racetrack there and the mall + arboretum is BEAUTIFUL! However there aren't many apts. available in that area. so i'm wondering if there are any other amazing places to raise kids in the sgv? Or if you can recommend a good cheap apartment complex in Arcadia? We need a low crime rate. and would prefer a place where hispanic percentage is less than 40% we have no problem with Asians etc. and we are white. thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSWISHY View Post
Hi me and my Fiance' are thinking of moving to LA county. We have been California natives our whole lives. But we are from nor cal. So we don't know much about so cal due to the largeness of the state. We do have two children. both girls. We want to live somewhere safe beautiful and peaceful yet with lots do! we have been to Arcadia quite a lot recently. as it is currently rated the best place to raise kids in California. We love the racetrack there and the mall + arboretum is BEAUTIFUL! However there aren't many apts. available in that area. so i'm wondering if there are any other amazing places to raise kids in the sgv? Or if you can recommend a good cheap apartment complex in Arcadia? We need a low crime rate. and would prefer a place where hispanic percentage is less than 40% we have no problem with Asians etc. and we are white. thanks so much.
If you can afford to live there, it sounds like Arcadia would be the perfect place for you. Everything you seem to want is there. We haven't lived there for decades, but can remember the track, the Arboretum and yes, the shopping mall. A couple other places, not on your list: Glendora and So Pasadena.

Nita

Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
I'd prefer Pasadena, Alhambra, or Arcadia.

Avoid El Monte, Baldwin Park

Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
san marino is a gorgeous city and would be at the top of my list for that area. however, i don't believe they have any multi family buildings, so you'd have to eliminate that if you are looking for apartments.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:58 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Do you really want to know what I would like, or do you want to know what I think you would like?

My first choice: El Monte (but I would homeschool, so schools do not affect my choice.)
Second choice: Azusa
You wouldn't like either.

For you: Arcadia, except that the parts you can afford might not be white/Asian enough. (You didn't mention African-Americans. Any limit on them?) Try Temple City. Decent schools, lots of Asians.

Here's some good news: all of the cities in the SGV have crime rates below the national average. (I think. I do know for sure that El Monte does.)

Old 11-10-2011, 08:54 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
La Canada Flintridge, San Marino, Bradbury, or Pasadena.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:50 PM

401 posts, read 767,291 times
Like BRinSM mentioned, San Marino (and La Canada) have little to no multi-family dwellings.. no apartments or condos.

Pasadena does have a large latino population, though the high percentage area is mostly in the NW. Pasadena is great, but you'd have to investigate the schools to see if you'd want to send your kids there. The public schools are roughly 60% latino and 20% black with the remaining 10% divided among white, asian, etc. The private schools have a much more balanced ethnic breakdown, so if you can afford it.. that would be a great option.

Otherwise, Arcadia looks like your best bet. Great schools, demographics that fit your needs, some apartments, etc.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:57 PM

Any alternatives to Arcadia as its pretty expensive and the schools aren't absolutely necessary for at least a few years.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:47 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSWISHY View Post
Any alternatives to Arcadia as its pretty expensive and the schools aren't absolutely necessary for at least a few years.
Temple City was mentioned.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:09 AM

How does temple city compare amusement/scenery wise to arcadia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles