Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:47 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times

Advertisements

Jackie, if you go to the same places often enough, people will begin to see you as a regular and you'll begin to have little conversations here and there (like when standing in line in the bathroom, for example). You could find yourself part of a group before you know it. However, I agree with others who said that the Hollywood scene is very much like high school with all of the cliques, etc. While you're accepted and having fun, it's great - but when they suddenly turn on you for no reason, it can get very bad. I just hope you're prepared for that, especially if you care so much what others think of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 01:06 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAHopeful View Post
I think if you're good looking and carry yourself well, it trumps pretty much everything else. No guy sees a pretty girl and says "I really want to get to know her based on her personality". I know you don't socialize but coming from a guys perspective, girls blend in whether they're alone or not, when you're in a club environment everyone gets judged, but it really doesn't matter because you will be judging others as well. If you just withhold yourself as being confident and not crazy-looking (mentally not physically), you will be fine. I don't know how it is from a girls perspective but you got it from a guys perspective.
By observing people, one can discern quite a bit about them. In fact, by observing somebody from afar for sometimes just a minute or two, it's possible for me to determine if they're somebody I'd enjoy conversing with or not. Or, perhaps somebody I'd like to avoid contact with altogether. It's all a matter of what they say with their eyes, arms, etc.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:07 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I wouldn't know...I was a high school dropout. My high school drama was avoiding the cops while ditching school.

But yeah, I'm not Hollywood enough to hang out in Hollywood, even though I grew up relatively near there (2 stops on the red line got me to Hollywood and Highland) I still go clubbing and bar hopping every once in a while though, to be reminded of how uncool I am. So now I go to Old Town Pasadena to get my fill. I'm more of a bar than a club person anyways, unless its clubbing pinatas, then I love clubbing!
The kind where those little bottles of booze fall out? I like those too.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:33 AM

326 posts, read 718,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Actually, I would like to socialize with Hollywood people a lot (if they would like to socialize with me)... lol I meant in general; I'm not very talkative and have never been the social butterfly or sociable.

I was never sociable back home (in OC) because it wasn't my thing or scene. However, I really like Hollywood... I think it might be different for me in L.A because I LIKE the Hollywood scene. There was no scene that I really cared for back in OC.
I'm a New Yorker, so I assume the OC you are referring to is Orange County, I've been in Hollywood, San Diego, Newport and Laguna, and Santa Barbara, and found all these places except Hollywood on the boring side, so I know how you must feel about Hollywood being more exciting than Orange County. I live in Westchester County,NY, it's about 30 min. north of NYC, but living here is on the boring side. NYC is much more exciting and I used to hang out down there when I was younger, and yes, many times I went alone, but men would start conversations with me and I never felt awkward, but I never really went to the upscale clubs, just restaurant bars, but I never left with anyone, I wasn't interested in forming a relationship with a NYC guy back then , the commuting issue is too complicated because many NYC guys don't drive and they want girlfriends who live in the city so they can take cabs/trains to their condos for a date. I was always happier in the museums, Central Park, and going shopping and dining out than going to the clubs.

Well, you sound like a great person and I'm sure the Hollywood crowd will like you...good luck!

Old 12-06-2011, 01:14 AM

4 posts, read 8,156 times
Just go already. Put aside your neurosis and go to a bar by yourself. You'll feel better once you get there. Get a drink or two, maybe strike up convo with a random stranger and just enjoy yourself. Don't tell people you're trying to make a social statement, they'll look at you funny.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Here's the thing about LA.... It's stereotyped as being judgmental, but it's really the opposite; no one gives a s--- about you.
This is the most truthful statement about LA that I have ever read.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:10 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I am very uptight
Isn't this what NYC is for?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:45 PM

75 posts, read 205,132 times
If I saw a good looking girl at a bar/club by herself?? I'm making a beeline for her before word spreads to the other guys. Not something you see everyday but hey--an opportunity to meet a cool chick without having to deal with the estrogen lynch mob (her friends)? Go live it up.

And I've been to L.A. twice and I learned (as mentioned above) that nobody gives a Moderator cut: profane. Kind of the rule of thumb for most big cities.

Last edited by Count David; 12-08-2011 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: even bleeping out letters isn't allowed

Old 12-07-2011, 09:26 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
If I saw a good looking girl at a bar/club by herself?? I'm making a beeline for her before word spreads to the other guys.
That's kind of terrifying.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 PM

164 posts, read 606,832 times
I am in the so-called "industry" (film/tv).

Here's the thing with the Hollywood type bars and clubs.

The patrons are mostly suburbanites coming to party, high school students with fake IDs, Eurotrash on vacation, and the hodgepodge of Persians, Armenians and Asians looking to play "dress up" and unwind after a long week as accountants, dentists and lawyers.

The actual "Hollywood types" (i.e. actors, writers, models, filmmakers, musicians etc) that you may be imagining are WORKING those bars/clubs as servers, hosts, bouncers and bartenders. And these people only talk to you for one reason: to get you to tip them more and spend more money.

Where does most of the *real* socializing happen for these Hollywood types? The up-and-comers or just starting outs are too broke to be hanging out in clubs and bars - they tend to hang out in cheap dives, coffeehouses, house parties, and so forth, not upscale bars and clubs (that's where they work). And the established or more successful folks are at charity events, upscale restaurants, private dinners, or movie premieres (which are closed to the public). The *real* Hollywood type crowd is either too broke, too tired, or simply too exclusive (celebs) to be hanging out in clubs and bars in Hollywood on a regular basis.

The only industry people who tend to go to bars and upscale clubs with entourages on a regular basis are cheesy rappers and the skeezy D-list d-bags and reality stars (sometimes). You're not dealing with interesting people, but with the lowest common denominator and tourists.

So by all means go alone to these bars and clubs. But the kinds of people you're hoping to meet may not be what you're expecting.

If you want to meet interesting people in the industry (or just dynamic young people who work in any industry), you're better off:

- going to church or temple
- joining a meditation/yoga group
- taking an acting or improv class
- hiking Runyon Canyon with your dog
- getting a monthly membership at Equinox or Crunch in Hollywood (more social than a club or bar); we are vain - we would rather spend $200-300 per month on a gym membership to keep us looking pretty than the same amount going to clubs and bars and feeling guilty the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles