Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:03 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I don't really know anyone and want to go out to the trendier places. Safety is not a concern since I don't drink and I can take care of myself just fine. No need to patronize me about leaving with strange men or being careful of my drink being tampered.

My main and only concern is being perceive as a social reject or an anomaly.Yes, I care about what people think of me; it matters a great deal. Don't ask me why; I just do. Is it common for an attractive woman to go out by herself in L.A or no? I would think that it would be more common in L.A since lots of people move here from out of state and may not know anyone?

No, I don't want to do boring stuff like go to the movie or something during the day time. I want to go to trendy and "hot spot" upscale places known for the "beautiful people" only where you sort of go to be seen; places that are very selective about who they let in. Not casual dive bars. Not with the intention of meeting a guy or hooking up; just to experience the ambiance of a trendy place and "living the life". Just having the trendy club/lounge experience; I always wanted to experience it. (I never went out during my 20's and was a hermit actually). It's only now that I live in the neighborhood and have this world at my feet. I just like the process of getting glamorous, dressing up and going to a trendy club or lounge.

However, I am afraid of being judged by the door man! Other patrons might notice me and think I am unusual. Other women might notice me and think I'm a "loser" for having no friends... ? It is not true that other people are too busy having fun to notice; there are people who are very observant and sober even at clubs and WILL notice that you are out alone and think you are a loser. I am mainly talking about other women because they tend to be the most judgmental and catty.
Why are you even asking this question? I've been hitting Hollywood and LA night clubs and raves alone forever! I rule the dance floor and you can too. In fact, I don't ever want to go with anyone, I like my freedom to be where I want to be at any time. You can not be concerned about what others think of you if you want to go out and have a good time. And by the way, "other people" will be "busy" doing drugs or being drunk. LA is not a Bubbatown, Deep South and you can do what you want here and not be concerned about some clique judging you. When you go, alone, look like you're doing soooo big favor to the place, by you being there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
more than being judged, i think your bigger concern would be safety. a good looking girl out on the town alone, sounds like a bad idea to me, especially anywhere that serves alcohol.
Sorry, NO. We are NOT living in Iran, where women are not free to go out.
OP, act like them ain't safe if they mess with ya, that's all...

Old 12-12-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Ok, the real reason why I made this thread was a sort of a rant. Yes, I really am interested in going out alone in Weho.

However, the reason of my topic was more as a statement in regards as to how sexist our society is. Our society is very accusatory and judgmental of women for being alone. A lot of people "think" that women are very social creatures and that it is unusual for women to go out alone. I don't fit in that mold because I am NOT the typical women; I'm a loner without any friends.

Plus what makes me more unusual is that I do not want to have a boyfriend or get married ever. I do not like kids. Thus, I have to learn to go out alone until I die because I am not willing to share my life with anyone plus I'm not very sociable in general.

I just feel that men are not judged harshly for eating alone or going out alone. Lots of men go clubbing alone and don't get judged for it. However, there is a strong bias against females who go out alone. We may be thought of as loose, easy, looking for a one night stand, a loser, loner, weirdo etc.

Society is just much rougher on females who choose to be alone and have to go out alone due to lack of friends or whatever. I feel that different standards are applied towards men than women.
You're right about society being extremely sexist. Newsflash: society hates women. Welcome to reality. Reality that had existed for 1000s of years.
But who gives a **** ****? Should you?
If YOU give a rat's tail about it and submit, you're just an accomplice, responsible for misogyny.
YOU should STOP caring about what "them" and their mama think of you. Your life will go by while you're worrying about these insignificant things. Be prepared to kick society in the nuts, if necessary. Lol, you need to improve your self-esteem... so go out a lot.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturtle View Post
I am in the so-called "industry" (film/tv).

If you want to meet interesting people in the industry (or just dynamic young people who work in any industry), you're better off:

- going to church or temple
- joining a meditation/yoga group
- taking an acting or improv class
- hiking Runyon Canyon with your dog
- getting a monthly membership at Equinox or Crunch in Hollywood (more social than a club or bar); we are vain - we would rather spend $200-300 per month on a gym membership to keep us looking pretty than the same amount going to clubs and bars and feeling guilty the next day.
There's no interesting or decent people in the "industry", OP don't waste your time. They'll try to suck the soul out of you and leave you empty.
Plus, any of the above activities are no fun. When I'm ready to retire I'll take them up.
Go out and dance the night off, you're going to be so happy. There's no life without dancing! Since you're alone, people wil probbly ask you to dance, it's fun... or, go to a gay club lol, or goth club.... or rave, enjoy the opportunities since they exist. Those who're stuck meditating on Friday night... they can do it when they're 60.... you don't waste any of that time you have, girl, go out and SHINE.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:44 AM

928 posts, read 1,712,931 times
Wait. So this was some sort of feminist rant, only dressed up as self-absorbed, sophomoric melodrama?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
You're right about society being extremely sexist. Newsflash: society hates women. Welcome to reality. Reality that had existed for 1000s of years.
But who gives a **** ****? Should you?
If YOU give a rat's tail about it and submit, you're just an accomplice, responsible for misogyny.
YOU should STOP caring about what "them" and their mama think of you. Your life will go by while you're worrying about these insignificant things. Be prepared to kick society in the nuts, if necessary. Lol, you need to improve your self-esteem... so go out a lot.
Society does not hate women. If anything, it's more misandric and matriarchal than ever. Women get a free pass everywhere they go nowadays.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 AM

928 posts, read 1,712,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Society does not hate women. If anything, it's more misandric and matriarchal than ever. Women get a free pass everywhere they go nowadays.
Oh noez! Men are being oppressed! Women 'round the world control everything!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:10 AM

415 posts, read 1,665,948 times
Most confident, good looking women wouldn't have a problem going out alone. However, I don't think you should do it, it would probably be awkward. It's just not for you..

Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Wait. So this was some sort of feminist rant, only dressed up as self-absorbed, sophomoric melodrama?
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:23 PM

8,307 posts, read 13,442,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
If only they are hot! After all the world evolves around you know what.

Fugly women can get more **** than an average fellow.

Last edited by Count David; 12-14-2011 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: please no disguising cuss words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles