Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM

97 posts, read 356,871 times

Advertisements

Hello All.

It's been a long time since I've been on City Data! My children & I relocated to Dallas from Seattle back in 2007. Texas has been ok for us for the last 4 years.

However, my current job will be ending in February 2012, but I have a job offer to move to LA by the 1st of the new year. The salary is $60K to start. I am in need of some help. I know NOTHING about LA at all. I am hoping (as I did with my move to TX), that you guys can give me some pointers on where to live, school districts, etc..... I only know what I see on TV. Sad, but true. The most important factor would be the school district. My 9 y/o is in 5th grade. The school district that she attends here in TX, is top 10 in the state. I would like to find an area in LA with an equally exceptional school district.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 12:35 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,039 times
Where in Los Angeles is the job located? Were you looking to buy or rent?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,055 times
Yes, knowing where in L.A. is critical info people would need to know in order to give advice. It's a huge, spread-out area, and to some the term is used to encompass much of Southern California, not just the City of L.A., or even the County of L.A. Will you have a car or relying on public transportation? You don't have much time. If looking to buy, I'd contact a number of realtors right away and if looking to rent, I'd look at ads, and also contact property management (rental) companies. And plan on an exploratory trip before you move.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:48 PM

97 posts, read 356,871 times
I am definitely looking to rent right now. I will be bringing my furniture (via moving company) & my car

The job is in Universal City, CA.

P.S. I was in LA for 2 weeks over the Thanksgiving holiday. My daughter's father lives there. He lives off of Crenshaw & Florence, & the rest of his family are in Inglewood & Long Beach.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:13 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjay73 View Post
I am definitely looking to rent right now. I will be bringing my furniture (via moving company) & my car

The job is in Universal City, CA.

P.S. I was in LA for 2 weeks over the Thanksgiving holiday. My daughter's father lives there. He lives off of Crenshaw & Florence, & the rest of his family are in Inglewood & Long Beach.
By "there," I gather you mean the L.A. area since Crenshaw and Floreince is a ways from Universal City. Why not look for ads for rentals in the Valley or nearby, to reduce your commute? A property management company could also help. I'd probably look in Burbank, Studio City, North Hollywood, Glendale, etc., even Hollywood (if you drove you'd be going against most rush hour traffic, and you might be able to take the subway to work) but others could have more up to date info (I visit the area regularly but haven't lived there for years). Sorry I have no info on school districts, including how far away you'd have to consider living in order to get a particularly good district.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:22 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
what is your commute tolerance? i would recommend santa clarita since schools are very important to you, but it is quite a drive. regardless, a 2br apartment in any decent area of LA is going to cost at least $1500. if you must pay less, you'll have to commute much further. if you can afford it, i would live in burbank or glendale. both cities are close to universal city and have good schools, especially when compared to neighboring areas in LA city served by LAUSD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles