U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 05:53 PM

14 posts, read 40,602 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early-mid 20s, and I'm getting a little restless. I live in Hermosa Beach, California's answer to Jersey Shore. So I'm considering a change of pace. I work just south of LAX, so I'd like something close by.

What I'm looking for: A cultured area with an active nightlife and downtown, near LAX. As a single guy, I prefer urbane white, educated girls my age or younger, who dress well and stay slim. Jewish girls are a plus as well.

The South Bay isn't doing it for me - it just feels very bland, uncultured and cookie-cutter. I like going out to drink, but Hermosa nightlife in particular is just too loud and trashy, though the 'quality of life' there is amazing. I think Los Feliz would be ideal, and possibly downtown, but they're both way too far from my job.

What do you recommend? How should I decide between them?

My top candidates are Venice and Culver City.

Pros of Culver City:
*Parking probably better.
*Cheaper/better housing
*Possibly shorter commute due to proximity of 405, which mostly clogs up only after the 10 freeway.
*More central
*Expo Line to downtown opening soon

Pros of Venice:
*More hip?
*Younger, whiter, more educated?
*Snob appeal?

On 'paper' Culver City looks better, but Venice just has a more chic image in my head. I've spent only a little time in Venice, and none at all in the good parts of Culver City. I checked out Venice during the day awhile back after getting a taste of Abbott Kinney at night and liking it - but I found it rather shabby. It seems like I'd be paying more to get less in Venice, and the supply of housing looks rather minimal.

Budget: about $1,000 a month, and I don't mind sharing a house with several other people.

Playa Del Rey is another option, but it has little night life. But the housing isn't too costly, quality of life seems high, and it's close to Venice and Santa Monica.

If you recommend Culver City, what are the good parts? And how should I find listings, besides Craigslist/Padmapper?

Last edited by DismalScientist; 12-01-2011 at 06:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 06:25 PM

1,043 posts, read 810,741 times
I vote Venice.... although I don't think it's more 'hip'. Neither of those neighborhoods are all that hip IMO. Pros of Venice is it's on the ocean and has a better bar scene. I used to work in CC and never found it all that interesting, although it is more centrally located.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 PM

4,213 posts, read 7,495,844 times
I was going to try to reply with a helpful answer, but your obsession with whiteness is a little disconcerting. Maybe try Idaho instead?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:37 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,611,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I was going to try to reply with a helpful answer, but your obsession with whiteness is a little disconcerting. Maybe try Idaho instead?
I felt exactly the same way!!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,611,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
I'm in my early-mid 20s, and I'm getting a little restless. I live in Hermosa Beach, California's answer to Jersey Shore. So I'm considering a change of pace. I work just south of LAX, so I'd like something close by.

What I'm looking for: A cultured area with an active nightlife and downtown, near LAX. As a single guy, I prefer urbane white, educated girls my age or younger, who dress well and stay slim. Jewish girls are a plus as well...

Pros of Venice:
*More hip?
*Younger, whiter, more educated?
*Snob appeal?

Budget: about $1,000 a month, and I don't mind sharing a house with several other people...
You're a mess. You want a cultured area but want a whiter area???

You're willing to share with other people? as long as they're white?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
You're a mess. You want a cultured area but want a whiter area???

You're willing to share with other people? as long as they're white?
Haha, yes, I forgot the Renaissance and the Enlightenment were African creations...

If a woman tells you she only likes tall men, would you set her up with a man the size of Donny DeVito? If she said she likes Asian men, would you tell her to start hanging out in Idaho?

When people ask about an area that's good for singles, they presumably want to be in an area with a lot of people who they could possibly date, who are their 'type.' For the same reason I wouldn't want to live in an all-male monastery, I want to live in an area with the type of people I'd date.

And no, I don't much care about the race of my roommates, as long as they're good, fun and trustworthy. I'm not going to try dating them, see.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:38 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,632,522 times
Culver City has very few young Jewish professionals, especially females. Venice has a bit more, but not much, although you get a lot of Santa Monica/Brentwood people who go to Venice at night. So between the two, choose Venice.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Culver City has very few young Jewish professionals, especially females. Venice has a bit more, but not much, although you get a lot of Santa Monica/Brentwood people who go to Venice at night. So between the two, choose Venice.
Thanks, repped. I'd give Santa Monica a closer look if it weren't so far.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:58 PM

7,187 posts, read 20,516,870 times
if you want white and jewish look no further than marina del rey.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:15 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,632,522 times
Marina Del Rey never struck me as a Jewish area, particularly that for young professionals. The main areas for young Jewish professionals in my experience are Santa Monica/Brentwood, West Hollywood/The Grove area (think Palazzo/Park La Brea apartments), and Studio City/Sherman Oaks along Ventura.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles