Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 05:34 PM

6 posts, read 6,217 times

Advertisements

I've wanted to move to Los Angeles for about 10 years now - ever since I was a teenager. My goal is to work in the entertainment industry, and I do have some Hollywood experience under my belt with an internship at a major production company. So I lived in L.A. for a semester, working in Hollywood (I had to come back to TN to finish school and graduate). As a result, I do have some contacts at that company still, and I hope that one of them can help me secure a job when I move out there permanently - though I know there's no guarantee of that.

Currently I work for a company that I could potentially transfer with, and that way I'd have a source of income while trying to get a job in the industry. However, I want to possibly move in January, and I'm getting very tired and restless with my current job. Ideally, I'd like to just quit and hope to find something in the industry within a couple of months. However, I'm not stupid and know that there's no guarantee of that either. Just optimistic and hopeful I guess.

So, money is the only thing holding me back at the moment. I've got $1100 saved for the move and will have about $2500 by the end of the year. If I quit working for my current company, I could add another $1800-$2000 on top of that because I could cash in on some of my benefits I have with them. So, if I transferred with them, I'd have about $2500 in savings and would go directly into my new position, and wouldn't really notice a drop in income. Doable, I think. If I quit, I'd move with $4000-$5000 in savings to live on until I find a job. Having lived in L.A., I know how fast that could be eaten up, but I think I could make that last 2-3 months if I was careful.

I've heard people say that you need $20,000 saved to move, but that's completely unrealistic, and I'm not staying where I am another two or three years to save that amount. I just don't want to wait much longer, because I don't want to lose any connections that I did make out there, and I've waited a long time already - there's just always been something come up to prevent it from happening.

So my question is - what would you do? Would you quit the current job and go for it, or would you transfer? There are pros and cons to both. I'm at the point where I need to make a decision in the next few days and I really have no idea what to do. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 06:35 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Transfer. It will be hard to find a place to rent if you don't have a job.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:15 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
I'm doing the same thing as you, but I highly suggest you come with more money than that. You don't need 20 grand, but I'm moving next year with at least 10 and might even save up to 15. What if you don't find a job in the first few months? That's what I'm preparing for.

I say go for it if you can return to the situation you're in now if it doesn't work out. I'm with you on not being able to handle staying much longer, but I'm trying to be smart about it.

Best of luck.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
I would save $5-$10K personally, but there is another part of me that would just physically get out there and figure it out (weekly/monthly motels, etc) with less.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Transfer with your company and quit once you get another job. You didn't mention living arrangements...hopefully you can stay with someone for awhile.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 PM

24 posts, read 48,096 times
It would be a calculated risk if you had a good lead on a job but you are essentially moving here on a wing and a prayer. Do you have any friends that you can live with if you run out of money? If you can find a way to minimize housing costs than you should be able to survive for 7-9 months on $5K if you live on the bare essentials. However, you are attempting to find work in the most cut throat occupation in LA. I know a couple people in the same situation that have been struggling for years waiting for their big break. If you're willing to pay your dues and live from hand to mouth for a couple of years you might have a chance. Otherwise, it's like playing the lotto. Good luck either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles