U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:51 PM

21 posts, read 68,985 times

Advertisements

I disagree. I've been to Calabasas and I think it's a beautiful place to live. It's a COMPLETELY different world from the rest of the San Fernando Valley, as it has a very quaint and rural atmosphere. Lots of rolling hills, wildflowers in fields, greenery, horse ranches, beautiful parks with lakes, etc. It has a nice historic Old Town Calabasas. It's a much slower pace of life, but at the same time it's right next to the city of Los Angeles (Woodland Hills section), not a long drive from Hollywood, or from all the excitement and hustle and bustle of Downtown L.A. Furthermore, it borders Malibu (which can be accessed via Malibu Canyon Road), which is honestly a VERY beautiful tropical paradise (I visit there often). So in short, I think it's an ideal place to live and you can use it as a good base for venturing into other parts of L.A., of course, if it feels too slow. As for housing costs, it can be expensive but not necessarily, as it depends on the particular neighborhood and size or age of the house, condo, or apartment. I'd say it's between mid-range and expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,538,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da8509 View Post
I disagree. I've been to Calabasas and I think it's a beautiful place to live. It's a COMPLETELY different world from the rest of the San Fernando Valley, as it has a very quaint and rural atmosphere. Lots of rolling hills, wildflowers in fields, greenery, horse ranches, beautiful parks with lakes, etc. It has a nice historic Old Town Calabasas. It's a much slower pace of life, but at the same time it's right next to the city of Los Angeles (Woodland Hills section), not a long drive from Hollywood, or from all the excitement and hustle and bustle of Downtown L.A. Furthermore, it borders Malibu (which can be accessed via Malibu Canyon Road), which is honestly a VERY beautiful tropical paradise (I visit there often). So in short, I think it's an ideal place to live and you can use it as a good base for venturing into other parts of L.A., of course, if it feels too slow. As for housing costs, it can be expensive but not necessarily, as it depends on the particular neighborhood and size or age of the house, condo, or apartment. I'd say it's between mid-range and expensive.
This is a pretty good review. My wife works there, it is nice, safe, upscale, suburban. The beach is a half hour drive.

I personally would never live there (there's a reason we live in Hollywood).

Last edited by munchitup; 03-06-2012 at 08:15 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,554,113 times
Would never live there; I don't like "family towns" or "family lifestyle" boring suburban hell. West Hollywood; where the young, trendy and hip live. Those suburban type cities are good if you are 50. Or dead.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,476,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
I believe it is where the Kardashians live
Gag.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:22 PM

82 posts, read 105,371 times
To be blunt: BORING.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:32 PM

12,977 posts, read 30,316,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da8509 View Post
All in bold above is COMPLETELY FALSE!!! Man, I dont even know where to begin on this.

"Completely different than rest of valley" - No way. Its just like Sherman Oaks, just like Studio City only more jewish and way more "snobbish" factor. Its like Encino - with about the same amount of Persian Jews.

"Slower Pace of Life" - Nope. Not at all. Its still very much a lot of hustle and bustle and people showing off their Benzs, BMWs, Range Rovers, $900.00 Bugaboo strollers, etc. After all, this is Kardashian town.

"Tropical paradise" - Malibu is a beach. Just like Santa Monica Beach, just like Pismo Beach, just like Will Rogers State Beach, just like Redondo Beach, just like the beach on the other side of Inglewood/Westcheser near LAX. A "tropical paradise" is a bit of a stretch to describe it that way. Tropical paradise is Tahiti.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:48 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,852,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
All in bold above is COMPLETELY FALSE!!! Man, I dont even know where to begin on this.

"Completely different than rest of valley" - No way. Its just like Sherman Oaks, just like Studio City only more jewish and way more "snobbish" factor. Its like Encino - with about the same amount of Persian Jews.

"Slower Pace of Life" - Nope. Not at all. Its still very much a lot of hustle and bustle and people showing off their Benzs, BMWs, Range Rovers, $900.00 Bugaboo strollers, etc. After all, this is Kardashian town.

"Tropical paradise" - Malibu is a beach. Just like Santa Monica Beach, just like Pismo Beach, just like Will Rogers State Beach, just like Redondo Beach, just like the beach on the other side of Inglewood/Westcheser near LAX. A "tropical paradise" is a bit of a stretch to describe it that way. Tropical paradise is Tahiti.
Agreed 100%. Bordering Malibu is also kind of off, there is a range of foothills separating the two.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:12 PM

12,977 posts, read 30,316,801 times
My favorite thing about Calabasas other than the Commons (which is so close that we are there every weekend) is that there is a local ordinance/law that prohibits smoking in public places. Go to a park, NO SMOKING. Walking around the Commons shopping complex, NO SMOKING. And its ENFORCED which makes it even better. No smoking even in the parking lot. You HAVE to love that about Calabasas.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:03 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,538,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
My favorite thing about Calabasas other than the Commons (which is so close that we are there every weekend) is that there is a local ordinance/law that prohibits smoking in public places. Go to a park, NO SMOKING. Walking around the Commons shopping complex, NO SMOKING. And its ENFORCED which makes it even better. No smoking even in the parking lot. You HAVE to love that about Calabasas.
Unless you smoke and then it is like Nazi Germany

Old 03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,746,948 times
Calabasas is best thought of as two parts. The eastern part, between Woodland Hills and Las Virgenes, is the much larger and more affluent part. The western part, west of Las Virgenes going west past Lost Hills as it blends into Agoura, is full of apartments and condos. $2000 budget easily works here. If you are moving to a job in Calabasas , it is likely to be in this part along Agoura Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles