U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 PM

8,452 posts, read 12,099,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg117 View Post
dbg117 has a family and lives in Calabasas (and can certainly afford to live here). While dbg117 respects and values the opinions of those who disagree with the analysis as presented, dbg117 nevertheless stands by the factual data as cited and published at the time of posting on the web sites of the National Weather Service, Southern California Edison, Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, and Las Virgenes Municipal Water District. Because dbg117 did not find this data published in this forum before investing in Calabasas, dbg117 provides it here now for the thoughtful consideration of future potential transplants to the area. Reasonable people should agree that readers of this forum are entitled to different viewpoints, whether considered negative or positive, so that they may make a fair and balanced decision as to whether Calabasas is the right investment for them.
Why are you talking about yourself in the third person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 11:32 AM

8 posts, read 35,247 times
Noted.

"I have a family and live in Calabasas (and I can certainly afford to live here). While I respect and values the opinions of those who disagree with the analysis as presented, I nevertheless stand by the factual data as cited and published at the time of posting on the web sites of the National Weather Service, Southern California Edison, Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, and Las Virgenes Municipal Water District. Because I did not find this data published in this forum before investing in Calabasas, I provided it for the thoughtful consideration of future potential transplants to the area. Reasonable people should agree that readers of this forum are entitled to different viewpoints, whether considered negative or positive, so that they may make a fair and balanced decision as to whether Calabasas is the right investment for them."

Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 PM

2,965 posts, read 3,311,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg117 View Post
To "what kind of place is Calabasas?":

Calabasas may be technically in Southern California, but it is not really of Southern California. Why does this matter? Housing, utilities, and transportation are very expensive compared to LA, Calabasas is remote and isolated with few if any amenities, and the climate is atrocious by LA standards. On the flip side, crime is low and it is sort of a good place for families that don't mind the fact that there is little, if anything, to do.

This said, consider the following observations from a recent Miami transplant:

Calabasas is not sunny warm Los Angeles. On any given winter night, the temperature in Calabasas is 15-20 degrees colder than metro LA (On January 13, 2013, NWS reported Calabasas recorded a low of 20f, whereas the low in LA was 35f, and officially a record low of 37f, record lows in Calabasas are 23f/Nov, 20f/Dec, 19f/Jan, 18f/Feb).

On any given summer afternoon, Calabasas is 15-25 degrees hotter than metro LA (NWS reports avg August temp in Calabasas of 97f, LA 83f, records in Calabasas are 101f/Mar, 103f, April, 113f/May, 115f/Jul, 116f/Aug, 115f/Sep, 110f/Oct).

Why does this matter? Energy costs. Simply stated, on a cold winter night or hot summer day, your HVAC system will have to work 15-20 degrees harder than your neighbor's just a few miles away to maintain the exact same interior temperature. All things equal, your energy costs will be significantly higher than almost everyone else in metro LA.

But all things aren't equal. On the contrary, if you live in Calabasas, your electricity is supplied by Southern California Edison (So Cal Ed). California uses a "tiered" electrical rate system. At tier one, your So Cal Ed electric bill is double what your neighbors in LA are paying for power from LAPWD.

(for So Cal Ed rates see SCE - Understanding Tiered Rates)

(for LAPWD electric rates see
https://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/faces/la...3D1aymkeaxvs_4).

By the time you pay to cool your home to the comfortable temperature your neighbors in LA are enjoying, your electric rate with So Cal Ed is TRIPLE that of LAPWD for the same kilowatt hours. And, to be clear, we are not talking about your friends at the beach, we are talking about your friends in the hills of Sherman Oaks and Studio City (actual compared bills). So, while your friends just down the valley are looking at $100 electric bills in the summer, your bills for a 3/2 town house in Calabasas will be will over $300 (true story). With an Enron event, your summer electric bill could be over $1000 (as actually happened to a Calabasas neighbor).

The same is true in the winter. While your neighbors in LA are dealing with maximum low temps in the mid to upper 30s, you will regularly contend with a hard freeze in the teens to around 20. So while your neighbors in LA are looking at a $75 natural gas bill, yours will approach $200 (and much higher if you like your home above 65 degrees).

Sadly, this also applies to water. The cost to simply have a Las Virgenes Municipal Water District pipe connected to your Calabasas home is $135.00 per water bill before you draw the first drop of water (see Las Virgenes Municipal Water District : Home). Here again, your water bills will average more than double the usual LAPWD bill. Be prepared for the fact that pipes freeze in Calabasas. A burst pipe will costs you hundreds in extra water bills, and LVMWD will only allow one leak adjustment every 10 years. If you like grass, be prepared for $400 water bills in the summer to cool your lawn on those frequent 100+ degree days.

On the topic of lawns (and gardening), be prepared for big landscaping, lawn care, and plant replacements costs here as well. As you may imagine, plants that do well in LA don't grow well in Calabasas where it normally falls into the 20s at night in the winter and is over 100 degrees at least 75 days in the summer. Those nice king palms, pigmy date palms, bougainvillea, hibiscus, and other sub-tropical ornamentals that form the lush pool-side landscaping in LA simply will not survive the horrendous climate in Calabasas. If you drive around Calabasas this week (the first week of February, 2013), you will see plenty of dead plants. Drive a few miles east and notice that the exact same plants are alive and well in metro LA.

As for amenities, forget it, they're aren't any. The closest name-brand gym is 8 miles away and has a very poor "Yelp" score. There are few restaurants, and no pubs. You will have to drive several miles for a gallon of milk, and pay about 15 cents extra for the gallon of gas to get you there (compared to gas stations just a few miles away). As I understand from my single friends, Calabasas is painfully isolated. Quality gathering spots are at least 15 miles away and very few people from LA would ever consider actually driving to Calabasas on purpose- and this is telling given that LA is a car culture. Note to single people: unless you want to start talking to your house plant, Calabasas probably isn't for you.

Finally, consider that Calabasas is distant and remote. If you travel frequently for work, LAX is nearly 50 miles away down the 405 (the most highly congested freeway in the United States) and is over an hour on the best days. Burbank Airport (BUR) is over 20 miles away down the also very heavily congested 101, and also easily an hour in traffic. Downtown LA (along with the zoo, museums, Dodger Stadium) is 31 miles away and 45 minutes in light traffic to near two hours in rush hour. The nearest mall is 7 miles in one direction and the other is 8 in the opposite direction. The closest museum (the Getty) is a 30-40 minute drive. One of the top ten botanical gardens in the world, the Huntington, is nearly 40 miles away. Disney Land is a 70 mile road trip in each direction with the kids...

To be fair, Calabasas does have some good points. If you can stand frigid mornings in the winter and 100 degree plus days most of the summer, the biking is second to none. Malibu Canyon is one of the single most spectacular rides anywhere in North America. Malibu beach is 9 miles south. Also, if you have a family, there is a quaint little theater in the Calabasas Commons that shows family films early enough to get the kids to bed. In fact, Calabasas may be a great place for families (particularly, families of coyotes, spiders, and rattle snakes). Also, there is almost zero crime (probably because there are so few human beings).

In conclusion, unless you have some extremely important reason for suffering Calabasas, such as a specific school or extreme close proximity to a job, there are much better communities that are truly in and of Southern California worth considering. In the valley, Sherman Oaks and Studio City are outstanding provided you are south of Ventura Boulevard. Pasadena is like a metropolitan Mayberry with palm trees, a fantastic sense of community, and is on a clean, safe transit line to LA.

Bottom line, if you are looking for the true Southern California experience, avoid Calabasas.
Sort of amusing that you refer to Calabasas and "Metro LA" as if they are separate entities. Metro LA actually goes from Ventura all of the way to Redlands, and some would argue even further east to Beaumont, but whatever. Regardless, Calabasas is part of Metro LA, despite it being in the Las Virgenes Wildlife area.

Being from the East Coast, it's probably hard to imagine the vastness of our Metro areas out here on the West Coast.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:51 PM

LA Times, Thursday, June 20, 2013: "Calabasas doesn't have Hollywood's buzz or the opulence of Beverly Hills. Nightlife is practically non-existent. Even a 9:30 p.m. dinner is a tricky proposition- few restaurants are open that late."

Old 07-08-2013, 04:02 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,837,180 times
I have family that lives in the Oaks in Calabasas. It's pretty secluded and it can get rather warm there, but most homes have a pool and central air so that's a non-issue. Not much to do otherwise.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 AM

329 posts, read 480,661 times
I have lived in Calabasas as both single and married. It's an affluent suburb of LA where vast majority of people with families live. It also happens to have some gated estates where celebrities live but you really don't see them. If you have a family and can afford a nice home, it's a great place to live albeit hot in the summer.

I take it from the OP's post he is not a family man. There are apartments in Calabasas...not a ton but enough turnover that if you wanted a 1 BR or 2BR for $1.5-$3K you could probably get one. Most single people live here out of commuting convenience. The good thing about Calabasas is that *off peak*, you can jet to Santa Monica or Hollywood in about 30 minutes which is very reasonable. Furthermore, you are right next to the Valley which has plenty of eateries at all hours. If you are concerned about location, then Sherman Oaks is better centrally located and not a bad commute to Calabasas but you have to put up with traffic after work of anywhere between 30min - 1 hour.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:11 PM

12 posts, read 14,945 times
Agoura Hills is just moments away and has condo's that you would be able to afford (especially if you consider a roommate). My husband just moved out of a two bedroom apartment in Malibu Canyons (apartment complex in Calabasas-luxury apartment). He was paying $1900. He is attending school in Malibu so he had a roommate to mitigate the cost. I lived there when I was in my early 20's and liked it. I worked in Ventura so actually spent most of my time there. I feel that there is not a lot to do in Calabasas, but you have Tarzana, Encino and such not too far.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:44 PM

I finally fired Calabasas. We closed escrow on a Brentwood home a little over four weeks ago. Our LADWP electric bill is about a third of our former Southern California Edison bills, our water bill is less than half of what our Las Virgenes Municipal Water Department bills were- and our lawn is healthy and green (to be fair to LVMWD, they do not have their own water supply, so they buy water from Northern California and ship it to Calabasas, passing the costs onto rate payers). The buyers of our former Calabasas home were so happy as they picked up they keys. I asked them where they were moving from. "Orange County" was their response, "and this is like OC only nicer!". As we walked away from the smiling couple, we high-fived each other, thinking about the not insignificant profit we made on our little desert outpost during the last 15 months. As we got into the car, my wife asked me "do you think they know?" I laughed and said "they will soon enough"...

Old 08-16-2013, 05:47 PM

as they picked up "their" keys, rather.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,145 times
Sorry to say but I have lots of experience with the City of Calabasas. In short this place is very racist. Don't show up black in this town and hope to do business or build something ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles