U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:03 PM

24 posts, read 126,463 times

Advertisements

Hi, I might have to move to Calabasas from out of state, and I am wondering if people in this forum can give me a general idea in terms of what this city is like?

Is it similar to other cities in the LA area? I know it is close to Malibu and housing might be very expensive, but maybe there are decent apartments people can rent at a reasonable price....recommendations appreciated!

Are there lots of fun things to do in the city? Activities available driving down to the beach? I know the weather is nice just hope the people living in the city are just as cool.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 01:09 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,554,691 times
I believe it is where the Kardashians live and it is also where I have heard alot of other celebs call home. It looks like a very beautiful area, but then again I do not live in CA, so only going by what I have heard or seen. I would live there if I could afford it

Old 12-05-2011, 01:12 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,853,367 times
Calabassas is relatively well off, decent amount of money there. Housing is expensive, but you can live in neighboring cities for less. Its in "the valley", which gets warm during the summers. While it maybe a close to Malibu as the crow files, its not as close as it looks on a map.

"reasonable" price is very much open to interpretation - what is your budget?

Old 12-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Calabassas is relatively well off, decent amount of money there. Housing is expensive, but you can live in neighboring cities for less. Its in "the valley", which gets warm during the summers. While it maybe a close to Malibu as the crow files, its not as close as it looks on a map.

"reasonable" price is very much open to interpretation - what is your budget?

$2,000. Is it possible to find something decent?

Old 12-05-2011, 03:18 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,853,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon View Post
$2,000. Is it possible to find something decent?
definitely for a one bedroom (probably on the high side), $2k can probably get you a 2 bedroom.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:05 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,532,036 times
is there any specific reason that you have chosen calabasas? one thing is that there aren't many apartment options in calabasas. I know there are some apartment complexes near the 101 at Las Virgenes, but other than that calabasas is almost exclusively single family homes which would most certainly exceed your budget. nearby woodland hills has plenty of apartments though. the area around the topanga mall has quite a few apartment complexes which are probably be cheaper than similar buildings in calabasas.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:21 AM

No particular reason, just close to my work.

Any activities to do in this town? Is it convenient to drive down to the beach?

Old 12-06-2011, 07:16 AM

12,977 posts, read 30,319,118 times
Quote:
Hi, I might have to move to Calabasas from out of state, and I am wondering if people in this forum can give me a general idea in terms of what this city is like?

Is it similar to other cities in the LA area? I know it is close to Malibu and housing might be very expensive, but maybe there are decent apartments people can rent at a reasonable price....recommendations appreciated!

Are there lots of fun things to do in the city? Activities available driving down to the beach? I know the weather is nice just hope the people living in the city are just as cool.

There really arent much in Calabasas in terms of apartments (I dont think Ive ever seen any) so your $2000 budget might not go very far. I live just a few blocks from Calabasas border here in Woodland Hills and can say that its a nice area. There is no smoking in any public area (parks, shopping centers, etc.) which is nice. The Commons is kind of the main area where everyone goes for food, movies, etc.

Calabasas is VERY Jewish and Persian Jewish but overall a nice family friendly place. Not really a destination for younger hip crowd. But for someone from Kansas it will still be pretty cool.

You may want to consider Woodland Hills instead as here area lot more apartment buildings and is right next to Calabasas.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:28 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,680,059 times
Quote:
No particular reason, just close to my work.

Any activities to do in this town? Is it convenient to drive down to the beach?
Calabasas is a good FAMILY town.

Absolutely BORING for a single person. Don't say we didn't warn you.

But good luck to you....

Old 12-09-2011, 03:51 PM

7 posts, read 20,318 times
Boring, boring, suburban, white, family town. If you're single, it's probably not for you. Even Woodland Hills which is a close commute would have better non-family options. You'd even bump into a single person at the mall from time to time. It's convenient to the beach. You drive down a winding canyon to get there. I just wouldn't advise a single person to live anywhere west of Woodland Hills in your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles