Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL because we'd luv us some California beach time. Also, your grocery stores can sell liquor. Gotta love that.
Here our gas stations do, not just beer and wine, and gas is $3.08 or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 05:36 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
also I think in NOVA there's not much pressure to put on airs and drive a fancy car or wear a fancy suit, just be yourself and get judged for your personality and intelligence

Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 PM

159 posts, read 442,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
also I think in NOVA there's not much pressure to put on airs and drive a fancy car or wear a fancy suit, just be yourself and get judged for your personality and intelligence
I think it is like that in NOVA

Old 12-06-2011, 05:52 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
Quote:
Both places have:

...More people people work in these satellite downtowns than in the official downtown (compared to other cities) and as a result rush hour traffic flows in many directions..

"Official" downtown? As in made official by 'the office'?

Quote:
On the Nova forum people sometimes ask if Nova is "southern" or "northern". My answer is "Neither one--if anything it's an extension of southern California."

Lots of Californians are moving to Nova right now, and that means we have more and more California stores, attitudes, and now we're even installing traffic signs that look like the ones I used to see in LA.
Like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
So riddle me this. Why is it that so many Californians who decide to leave California seem to have the need to drag California with them and infest another state? Why not just stay and stew in California?
Two loaded questions, the former riddled with vagary.

Quote:
Ya don't have to hate it to leave it for job opportunities, and others, that are no longer there. But take it with you and after awhile you'll have to move again. It makes no sense and riles up the natives.
What do you want native Californians to do? Stop being themselves? Go through some clinical personality transformation program to "heartlandize" them? What do you want anyone moving from one region within the US to another to do... find a way to stop being the people they've developed into over the course of their lifetimes?

Seriously. Just trying to get you to refrain from your mindless ranting so you can actually think for a second.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:59 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
I was born and raised in California but have lived in NoVA for the past 20 years. I find people in NoVA tend to be a bit more traditional and less culturally sophisticated than Californians, probably because many have moved from less trendy states like Pennsylvannia and Ohio. Food and home styles (Brick colonial McMansions are still the most popular) are some examples where they're much more conservative. It was amazing how long it took before we could finally buy a decent loaf of bread here.

On the other hand, we do have much better employment opportunities.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:03 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Here our gas stations do, not just beer and wine, and gas is $3.08 or less.
And... moonshine!!! Enough trips to Springfield and nearby environs proves this stuff is in abundance on the order of weed out in NorCal. YeeHaw! Need to go to Fayetteville one of these days.

Although, we on the west coast have little idea of the convenience of libation availability we enjoy until experiencing the lack of such elsewhere in the country. Kind of necessary, given the lack of jobs and COL here.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:04 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
I find NOVA to be more like the Mississauga, Ontario of VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestick View Post
I'm sorry if this has been discussed but I did not find much in the search. Who has lived in both Northern Virginia and Southern California? What are your opinions on the differences between the 2 places? Pros and Cons? Which would you rather live?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
"Official" downtown? As in made official by 'the office'?

Like this?

Two loaded questions, the former riddled with vagary.

What do you want native Californians to do? Stop being themselves? Go through some clinical personality transformation program to "heartlandize" them? What do you want anyone moving from one region within the US to another to do... find a way to stop being the people they've developed into over the course of their lifetimes?

Seriously. Just trying to get you to refrain from your mindless ranting so you can actually think for a second.
Seriously, I wouldn't think it being considered anything less from a left coast sychophant. California is a state, not a person. Clearly, I think better of its people than to believe they're brainwashed into some sort of group think.

Perhaps it's slipped your mind but I'm a native and spent most of my life in CA. But unlike some, I kept my eyes open and my wits about me. I believe intelligent people who happen to be from California are perfectly capable of assimilating elsewhere without withdrawal. Sorry about the ones you seem to know.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:14 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Hey, don't lump all of southern CA as having the same vibe as LA does. It's pretty laid back down here in SD.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
LOL, have those "watch out for border dashers" signs made it up to LA now? Wow, I can remember when I first saw them and it was just a few miles north of the border (and one token sign in Encinitas, which I never figured out. Why Encinitas?) Well, we don't have that particular sign yet but then again..... it would be handy where they're building the new metro station at Tysons Corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles