U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:48 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,444,807 times

Advertisements

Funny how in California unemployment is one of the highest in the country, yet almost everyone here has spanking shiny new cars, iPhones etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 AM

75,045 posts, read 87,475,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestick View Post
I'm sorry if this has been discussed but I did not find much in the search. Who has lived in both Northern Virginia and Southern California? What are your opinions on the differences between the 2 places? Pros and Cons? Which would you rather live?
wow, it would depend on my age, my job and what interests I have or had. I have lived both places and they are very different believe it or not. NOVA is so close to DC it has so much history at your fingertips. This is a good thing except so many people in the D.C. metro area are out for what can help them the most. I think of people in NOVA as being much more political in every way

If you like climate changes and can put up with humidity the east coast is a great place. If you want to be outdoors close to year around So Ca is better.

We also found something very interesting when we compared the two areas: at the time our son was a senior in high school (we had just moved to Alexandria) the kids in Fairfax county were all into what college they would be accepted at and what their SAT scores would be. In Ca the 17 year olds were more worrying about thier next date or if they would get a car for Christmas..Even the interest in sports varied: Ca was more baseball and swimming, VA football.

These are just some comparisons. Both places are good for raising families, if I were young, single and wanted to have a good time, I would probably choose So Ca. If I were not looking just for a good time I would choose NOVA.

Nita

Old 12-07-2011, 07:58 AM

75,045 posts, read 87,475,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude12 View Post
I would rather live Southern California than Northern Virginia even though i never lived in SoCal
Well that is a pretty narrow minded answer isn't it. If you haven't lived there you have no idea what it is like...

Old 12-07-2011, 10:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,631,541 times
Also, very few people here have a tan. Even the ones who walk to work and spend all weekend outdoors, like me. We're really into slapping on that SPF out here.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:20 PM

23,601 posts, read 32,449,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Also, very few people here have a tan. Even the ones who walk to work and spend all weekend outdoors, like me. We're really into slapping on that SPF out here.
That's called "smart!"

Old 12-07-2011, 07:14 PM

5 posts, read 7,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well that is a pretty narrow minded answer isn't it. If you haven't lived there you have no idea what it is like...
I was just saying that as a joke but I still would like to live in SoCal based on what others who have lived their had to say.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,500,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude12 View Post
I still would like to live in SoCal based on what others who have lived their had to say.
Even Curmudgeon? Some people want to get out ASAP.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:19 PM

10,880 posts, read 27,114,332 times
Orange County is much more like Northern Virginia as Irvine is very similar to Reston and points west, in terms of patterns of development, save for the fact that Reston is a bit smaller, unincorporated, and does not have a university. Los Angeles has pockets where a similarity could be drawn, such as parts of The Valley, but overall, it's not an easy exchange for Northern Virginia. Northern Virginia also has a very large population of those from the Northeast, particularly the NYC Metro area, such that it is often joked that the largest population of New Yorkers south of the city, excluding the entire state of Florida, is in the DC Metro area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-08-2011, 05:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,631,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Orange County is much more like Northern Virginia as Irvine is very similar to Reston and points west, in terms of patterns of development, save for the fact that Reston is a bit smaller, unincorporated, and does not have a university.
Very true. I also think Torrance and other parts of the south bay have a lot of similarities. The tree streets in Manhattan Beach and a few other parts of town have a lot of similarities to my Virginia neighborhood--but with one HUGE difference: No beach, no surfers, no beach attitude!

Old 12-08-2011, 10:45 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,717,389 times
Last August there was a big similarity between LA and NOVA: Earthquake!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles