U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:37 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,679,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2LA View Post

1) Pasadena might be a tough public commute but will check it as a 4th option, OR after I get a car (then the criteria might change substantially )

2) please feel free to correct me on any wrong assumption I made ..... I think Los Angeles can be a tough place for a newcomer and I dont want to get into problems due to stupid choice , so any advise is welcome
1) Pasadena is very close to Glendale but you might be correct. I am not sure about bus lines going from one to the other.

2) I don't think LA is tougher on newcomers than any other large city. HOWEVER, it is challenging for one without a car. YES, it can be done and people do it. But since you plan to not have one, you are very wise to research and figure out what the public transit options are to your job in Glendale.

Despite my comments about Studio City's suburban character it is really not a bad option (IF you can find a good transit option to your job in Glendale).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 01:23 PM

1,043 posts, read 753,460 times
And BTW there are lots of straight people in W Hollywood. The Sunset Strip is straight party central. And i would give driving a shot here. Esp away from the westside driving is a breeze in LA... even DT. Personally I wouldnt recommend DT to someone new to LA

Old 12-07-2011, 02:03 PM

9 posts, read 12,258 times
Thanks to Samoi137 and Parker 501 for coming to my help(I lost my connection last night so ouldnt respond any soon).
I am posting a single reply to all with due apologies.

To NowInCal11,
thanks for adding Los Feliz to the list and confirming that it is a good potential place to (re)search. Thanks for clearing East Hollywood concept. So is that is what is referred in discussions as Hollywood?

To Samoi137,
I have never been to north hollywood and I didnt know its suburban(all I saw was the map image I showed). Universal city need to check and I will search in the net tonite itself. Good to know groceries arennt a factor at all . No I didnt even go to Studio City and Sherman Oaks but if my current job allows a trip in early January I might visit there for a day. I refer to historic downtown as the portion of downtown with plenty of mexican electronics clothes and jewelry shops, its around 6th, 7th, Temple, Hill if I remember the street names correctly.
Well, Downtown(the part I mentioned) is one place I am considering but so is Studio City and Los Feliz and Sherman Oaks.

To Parker501,
I am not thinking of buying a home to live in till 3 years at least so whatever I think now is in terms of rent, and good to know Los Feliz isnt a $$$ .
I will look around West Hollywood once I am there, and once I get a car(may be 8 months to a year) might want to drive there on weekends.

To SalParadise,
"I think the OP should be aware that the communities of Studio City, No. Hollywood, and Sherman Oaks are located in the San Fernando Valley and have a more suburban flavor than Downtown LA, Hollywood, West Hollywood, or Los Feliz."
point noted and appreciated.
What I meant about "LA tough for newcomers" is its so overwhelming, it is kinda a full feldged county if not a small state that you get
so many points to consider, especially without an immidiate arrangement of a car....but the great thing about the US "city of dreams" is it might cater something to all

Once again, thanks for all the insight I am getting.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:59 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,465,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I have to disagree somewhat with the statement in bold. I think the OP should be aware that the communities of Studio City, No. Hollywood, and Sherman Oaks are located in the San Fernando Valley and have a more suburban flavor than Downtown LA, Hollywood, West Hollywood, or Los Feliz.

Yes, Studio City is near film studios and portions of Ventura Blvd are walkable with boutiques/restaurants but overall in my view, this is still a very suburban area.

Pasadena may not have an "LA vibe" but it is very walkable, distintive in character, and has plenty of nightlife options (though not as "hip" as Hollywood), etc.
I think all are suburban, but maybe urban suburban. Pasadena has a great downtown area, no question. But if OP is looking for the "Hollywood flavor," Studio City is pretty Hollywoodesq in my opinion.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:05 PM

hi nowinCal11, what is OP?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:15 PM

13,450 posts, read 25,355,178 times
Quote:
hi nowinCal11, what is OP?
original poster

Old 12-08-2011, 04:30 PM

poster? hmmm

thanks

Old 12-09-2011, 01:30 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,829,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I have to disagree somewhat with the statement in bold. I think the OP should be aware that the communities of Studio City, No. Hollywood, and Sherman Oaks are located in the San Fernando Valley and have a more suburban flavor than Downtown LA, Hollywood, West Hollywood, or Los Feliz.

Yes, Studio City is near film studios and portions of Ventura Blvd are walkable with boutiques/restaurants but overall in my view, this is still a very suburban area.

Pasadena may not have an "LA vibe" but it is very walkable, distintive in character, and has plenty of nightlife options (though not as "hip" as Hollywood), etc.
Studio City has at least one TV or movie studio, but studos are all over: Warner Brothers and NBC are in Burbank; Sony (formerly MGM) is in Culver City), Paramount is in Hollywood, etc. OP seems to want an area with lots of younger people and nightlife. Hollywood, West Hollywood and, increasingly, downtown, may suit their tastes, from what I know. Wouldn't downtown make for the easiest commute to Glendale? I grew up in Van Nuys (truly suburban). I do like Pasadena and its proximity to Glendale would be a plus to me, but that doesn't seem OP's top priority.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:00 PM

sorry for late reply....
I got a single's apt for my budget in Hollywood, and I am liking it so far...
near to clubs and some bars and an easy metro to downtown although havent been to those places....

NowInCal11 and SalParadise, you with all the other helpful members made it easy for me

thanks guys and please continue this guidance

Old 04-05-2012, 02:13 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Quote:
Thanks to Samoi137 and Parker 501 for coming to my help(I lost my connection last night so ouldnt respond any soon).
I am posting a single reply to all with due apologies.

To NowInCal11,
thanks for adding Los Feliz to the list and confirming that it is a good potential place to (re)search. Thanks for clearing East Hollywood concept. So is that is what is referred in discussions as Hollywood?

To Samoi137,
I have never been to north hollywood and I didnt know its suburban(all I saw was the map image I showed). Universal city need to check and I will search in the net tonite itself. Good to know groceries arennt a factor at all . No I didnt even go to Studio City and Sherman Oaks but if my current job allows a trip in early January I might visit there for a day. I refer to historic downtown as the portion of downtown with plenty of mexican electronics clothes and jewelry shops, its around 6th, 7th, Temple, Hill if I remember the street names correctly.
Well, Downtown(the part I mentioned) is one place I am considering but so is Studio City and Los Feliz and Sherman Oaks.

To Parker501,
I am not thinking of buying a home to live in till 3 years at least so whatever I think now is in terms of rent, and good to know Los Feliz isnt a $$$ .
I will look around West Hollywood once I am there, and once I get a car(may be 8 months to a year) might want to drive there on weekends.

To SalParadise,
"I think the OP should be aware that the communities of Studio City, No. Hollywood, and Sherman Oaks are located in the San Fernando Valley and have a more suburban flavor than Downtown LA, Hollywood, West Hollywood, or Los Feliz."
point noted and appreciated.
What I meant about "LA tough for newcomers" is its so overwhelming, it is kinda a full feldged county if not a small state that you get
so many points to consider, especially without an immidiate arrangement of a car....but the great thing about the US "city of dreams" is it might cater something to all

Once again, thanks for all the insight I am getting.
I live in central Hollywood - Which is from about La Brea to the 101 Freeway. It is a great area, very walkable and excellent transit connectivity. Pretty sure you just take the 780 Rapid Bus to Glendale, probably looking at an hour commute on the bus, which is certainly not that bad.

EDIT: My wife and I live 'car-light' in Hollywood, she has the car during the day for her job, which leaves me carless just about all day from 8AM to 7:30PM (I work from home) and I have never had a problem getting to my destinations in LA via public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles