U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What do you think is worse?
Compton 10 27.03%
Watts 27 72.97%
Inglewood 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2011, 03:10 AM
 
202 posts, read 339,407 times
Reputation: 91

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Someone on an earlier thread mentioned a lot of positive things about Compton (I interviewed for a job not too far away, just east of CSUDH and the area didn't look so bad.)

I think I've read some postive things about Inglewood.

Isn't Watts so small that it generally wouldn't be mentioned for big jobs or housing or development?
CSUDH is in CARSON CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2011, 01:41 PM
 
Location: SELA
532 posts, read 935,898 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Well either you didn't post it until after I saw the post or their was a glitch with CD, because that link was not their when I read your post. Thanks for the link.
It must have been a glitch; if I had posted it after, it would have shown that it was edited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
CSUDH is in CARSON CA.
It's right on the border. So a location "just east of CSUDH" would be in Compton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 01:05 AM
 
202 posts, read 339,407 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
It must have been a glitch; if I had posted it after, it would have shown that it was edited.



It's right on the border. So a location "just east of CSUDH" would be in Compton.
Just east of CSUDH is Rancho Dominguez an unincorporated industrial area that shares the Compton zip code and served by Compton post office

The city of Compton has tried multiple times to annex East Rancho Dominguez known and shares Compton's zip code of 90221. West Rancho Dominguez shares that same zip code but Compton has no interest to annex that part of unincorporated Los Angeles County due to a lot of Environment Waste type of Industry/business in that region. The Community of Rancho Dominguez south of Compton is a Warehousing and Transportation Industry area that collects great tax revenue for the County of Los Angeles.


Thus the location just east of CSUDH is a bunch of corporations in an unincorporated area known as Rancho Dominguez. But because Rancho Dominguez shares the Compton zip code google maps, map quest etc. consider those businesses as being in Compton even though they aren't.


Torrance is 4 miles west of CSUDH, Compton is 3 miles north of CSUDH, Long Beach is 5 miles south east of CSUDH, and Willmington is 8 miles south of CSUDH.

Last edited by kittycat40; 12-12-2011 at 01:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 12:08 PM
 
Location: SELA
532 posts, read 935,898 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
Just east of CSUDH is Rancho Dominguez an unincorporated industrial area that shares the Compton zip code and served by Compton post office

The city of Compton has tried multiple times to annex East Rancho Dominguez known and shares Compton's zip code of 90221. West Rancho Dominguez shares that same zip code but Compton has no interest to annex that part of unincorporated Los Angeles County due to a lot of Environment Waste type of Industry/business in that region. The Community of Rancho Dominguez south of Compton is a Warehousing and Transportation Industry area that collects great tax revenue for the County of Los Angeles.

Thus the location just east of CSUDH is a bunch of corporations in an unincorporated area known as Rancho Dominguez. But because Rancho Dominguez shares the Compton zip code google maps, map quest etc. consider those businesses as being in Compton even though they aren't.

Torrance is 4 miles west of CSUDH, Compton is 3 miles north of CSUDH, Long Beach is 5 miles south east of CSUDH, and Willmington is 8 miles south of CSUDH.
West Rancho Dominguez is considered as "West Compton" on this map, but the actual city of Compton is still technically drawn as east of CSUDH, at least on Victoria Street.



Is that inaccurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
2,431 posts, read 2,940,602 times
Reputation: 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What violent crime list? What are the communities included in the study? Could you share a link or give a print source so we can see the data ourselves. If its on CD say so, please. Thanks.
I am starting to doubt any exists. Seems to be just another of the stereotypical posts on here, hoping to perpetuate the 'im good and you're not', because of your 'hood generalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 05:45 PM
 
52 posts, read 120,628 times
Reputation: 47
Watts! Not even up for debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
3,166 posts, read 3,880,800 times
Reputation: 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
West Rancho Dominguez is considered as "West Compton" on this map, but the actual city of Compton is still technically drawn as east of CSUDH, at least on Victoria Street.



Is that inaccurate?
Yeah if you go a little east of CSUDH on Victoria there are some businesses and those businesses are in the Compton city limits. I had assumed that's what the poster meant. That or somewhere similar. Most of Compton is north/northeast of Carson, but small bits are due east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,100 posts, read 22,737,462 times
Reputation: 6128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I am starting to doubt any exists. Seems to be just another of the stereotypical posts on here, hoping to perpetuate the 'im good and you're not', because of your 'hood generalization.

No the link posted and it is the LA Times crime mapping tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Kūkiʻo, HI & Manhattan Beach, CA
2,624 posts, read 6,393,500 times
Reputation: 2389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I am starting to doubt any exists. Seems to be just another of the stereotypical posts on here, hoping to perpetuate the 'im good and you're not', because of your 'hood generalization.
Actually, City-Data provides some "crime indices" that are somewhat enlightening. Let's look at some of the "data" from 2010 (note that higher numbers mean more "crime")...

Inglewood has a "crime index" of 391.7...
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html

Compton has a "crime index" of 593.6...
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html

Los Angeles (since "Watts" isn't listed separately) has a "crime index" of 301.2...
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html

Let throw in "crime indices" from a few other cities...
City of Industry -- 1,666.8
Oakland -- 738.7
Stockton -- 699.2
Emeryville -- 617.0
Parlier -- 511.3
San Bernardino -- 505.0
Selma -- 496.3
Huntington Park -- 488.2
Sacramento -- 478.2
Fresno -- 456.9
Victorville -- 445.5
Bakersfield -- 435.9
Dinuba -- 435.1
El Centro -- 433.6
East Palo Alto -- 422.6
Sanger -- 420.5
Barstow -- 416.3
El Cerrito -- 416.3
Weed -- 409.4
Hawthorne -- 393.9

Based on the "crime indices" provided by City-Data, Oakland, Stockton, and Emeryville are "worse" than Compton when it comes to crime. And, at least 21 cities in California are "worse" than Inglewood...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 14,472,526 times
Reputation: 6333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
City of Industry -- 1,666.8


City of what Industry?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top