U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 PM

91 posts, read 474,674 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was born and in raised in Houston, TX my whole life. But I did always have an interest in California, especially San Diego.

Anyhow I've been dating the girl of my dreams (for a month) who is also from Houston but moved out to LA. She moved to LA way before we started dating. She was actually in a relationship with someone else but they ended their relationship a few months ago. I guess I been waiting all these years. Long story short, she has shown desire for me to be closer to her and I actually flew in twice this month (3rd time will be next weekend, I work this weekend..).

I don't know if I'll be giving up too much if I move. I'm very blessed to have the career of my dreams, I work in one of the largest banks in the world as a Sr. DBA. I have a very nice salary (combined with low cost of living in Houston), amazing benefits, and in addition to my 401k and ROTH I also have a Pension plan. I have an impressive resume but I'm not even sure how impressive it is compared in Cali.

I'm debating if I want to take a chance and move to LA and hopefully be closer to the girl whom I've been waiting for so long (since we were in college). I'm very worried that I will not find a similar job in LA. I don't know much but I hear a lot on the media that LA's economy is bad and cost of living is high. I don't think I would have the same life style in LA as I would in Houston but shoot it's worth it maybe to be closer.

But to the point, are there a lot of MS DBA jobs in LA and can they live an above normal life in LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 PM

215 posts, read 434,508 times
I moved from Minneapolis a year ago as a fresh college graduate and I am doing fine here. If you can interview and network well you will be fine. There is a tech boom right now and its very strong in California. I am a developer, so our jobs are obviously different, but trust me you can have a good life here especially with experience to back you up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 AM

13,457 posts, read 25,400,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by databasegeek View Post
Anyhow I've been dating the girl of my dreams (for a month) who is also from Houston but moved out to LA. She moved to LA way before we started dating. She was actually in a relationship with someone else but they ended their relationship a few months ago. I guess I been waiting all these years. Long story short, she has shown desire for me to be closer to her and I actually flew in twice this month (3rd time will be next weekend, I work this weekend..).

I don't know if I'll be giving up too much if I move.
Personally, it would pain me to move across the country to be with a person that I've only been dating for a month, long-distance at that. I would need to have been down on the knee to consider moving, but that's not how I did it (hindsight 20/20), so I'll .

If you can find a job that is equal or better than the one you have in Houston, and you otherwise have a desire to live in LA, move.

Either way, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles