U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 05:00 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,554,422 times

Advertisements

I took it a few times when going to Sherman Oaks from West Hollywood and it's super curvy and with lots of twists and turns (blind turns too I think) and everyone drives FAST; I swear there are people there driving 50mph. At one point the lane is just ONE LANE (both ways) so people can't pass me. I drive the speed limit and I always feel like the person behind me is pushing me off the road and like they are super pissed off because I'm going slow. I'm always sweating when driving this road and L.A drivers seem to be more impatient; always tailgating and mad that I'm going slow.

The other way is to go to the 101 on Highland but it's longer that way and always crazy traffic around the Hollywood blvd area.

Do you guys think this is a particularly dangerous road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 AM

29,844 posts, read 65,530,266 times
Something to ask Santa for:
High Performance Driving School and Driving Experience | Skip Barber Racing School

(it can round out a nice weekend trip up the coast too)

hth

Old 12-08-2011, 08:29 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,716,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I took it a few times when going to Sherman Oaks from West Hollywood and it's super curvy and with lots of twists and turns (blind turns too I think) and everyone drives FAST; I swear there are people there driving 50mph. At one point the lane is just ONE LANE (both ways) so people can't pass me. I drive the speed limit and I always feel like the person behind me is pushing me off the road and like they are super pissed off because I'm going slow. I'm always sweating when driving this road and L.A drivers seem to be more impatient; always tailgating and mad that I'm going slow.

The other way is to go to the 101 on Highland but it's longer that way and always crazy traffic around the Hollywood blvd area.

Do you guys think this is a particularly dangerous road?

If a maniac is tailing you, pull over and let him pass.

Unless "dangerous" is defined, then there is no Yes or No answer to that question.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 AM

45 posts, read 68,053 times
Not really dangerous. The danger lies in the LA drivers actually, and that goes for all roads here, not just the one you mention..

Old 12-08-2011, 09:21 AM

1,542 posts, read 5,392,959 times
jackie, i think any road with an elevation above 0 ft and even a minimal amount of curvature would qualify as dangerous to you.

not for nothing, but you'd probably love the roads in the midwest. it's flat as a pancake out there, so there aren't any steep, twisting roads like you see in california.

on an unrelated note, i always used to roll my eyes whenever someone would make a bad joke about asian women being poor drivers. but at least in this case, maybe that stereotype has some merit.

(kidding!)

Old 12-08-2011, 09:53 AM

4,261 posts, read 9,011,313 times
For once I agree with Jackie. Laurel Canyon drivers are jerks. I drive a performance car that DOES handle curves well and I'm NOT a slow driver. But there are so many type A hot head in the Hollywood industries that no matter how fast you drive, some *****@# wants to go faster.

Its even worse in some of the other nearby canyon roads liking Hollywood or Westside to SFV:

Breaking News: “Road Rage” Dr. Christopher Thompson Gets Five Years | Streetsblog Los Angeles

Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 AM

199 posts, read 431,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7elephant7 View Post
Not really dangerous. The danger lies in the LA drivers actually, and that goes for all roads here, not just the one you mention..
I agree with this. I used to love driving Laurel Canyon, sunny day, windows open. Now, Coldwater Canyon always seemed to have a higher pushier driver count than Laurel, and I would avoid it.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,539,455 times
Tailgaters just make me drive drive even slower. I'm an A-hole like that.

I've driven over Laurel Canyon once, and I though everyone driving in front of me was going way too slow... So no, I don't find it particularly dangerous. Especially compared to something like Highway 1 between San Luis Obispo and Monterey.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:37 AM

614 posts, read 1,289,674 times
Theres usually so much traffic on Laurel Canyon throughout the day, it's hard to go anything but near or below speed limit. Sundays/late nights is when I usually see the speeders & crazy drivers. The absolute worst is when you happen to get stuck behind a bus going over the hill and you're literally crawling up the hill.

I don't particularly find the road itself dangerous, but all the cracked uneven pavements and potholes can take a toll on your car if you don't watch out for them.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:00 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,083,570 times
Funny story (well maybe not so much funny as apropos), anyhoo, we like to "summer" on the west coast and last year we spent most of our time in and about Los Angeles (we use vacation rentals, not hotels). One of the things I enjoy is to use the convenient Hertz rental near LAX and rent a fun car for a couple of days (waste of time in NYC). So, last year I rented the Hertz Mustang GT. It is the sporty model with the V8 engine. Took it up to Santa Barbara one day and the next day we drove around the West Hollywood area. Did a quick run north on Laurel Canyon taking it easy. On the way back, the wife suggested I push it a little bit as the road was not that crowded (yeah, surprised the heck out of me). Sooooo, I speeded up a bit and pushed some of the turns to see what the car could do (still no more than 5 mph over the speed limit). Mind you, I stayed in my lane, did not tailgate anyone, and obeyed all traffic signals.
As we came around a turn, some clown in a Land Rover must have drifted into our lane because he didn't realize that he couldn't take that tight a turn in an SUV and hold the road. It is a testament to the design of the Mustang that I was able to stop that quickly and we literally came nose to nose. Being from NYC, my first reaction was, of course, confrontational. I put the car in park and jumped out. To his credit the other other driver was very apologetic, taking full responsibility for being in the wrong lane. I realized that I was not in NYC and got my butt back in the car. Needless to say, I behaved VERY properly for the rest of the ride.
Any road is as safe as the drivers on it. Driving is a full time activity and does not allow for ANY distraction including phone calls, texting, or ever turning your head away from the road. Also, we cannot create every road to be flat and wide in violation of natural geography and financial limitations.
Oh, and we REALLY love the roads in and about the LA area. Truly some of the most beautiful and interesting driving we have ever done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles