U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 10:43 AM

10 posts, read 30,877 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a friend looking for an apartment (studio or one bedroom). She wants to live in a complex type place with amenities (possibly a gym, security, covered parking, an option for furnished units, that sort of thing). She's not too familiar with L.A. and isn't here yet to be able to drive around and look. I'd like to help her so she has a list of places to look at when she does arrive.

She likes the west side. She loves Westwood, but the only place I can think of off the top of my head is the Palazzo, which I heard bad things about. Anywhere else? She also likes Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Rancho Park area, etc. I think she's looking for a community type feel, where she can walk to get groceries/restaurants since she doesn't plan on driving out of the area much. Her budget is up to $1400/$1500.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 12:19 PM

15 posts, read 28,998 times
Hey Flowergirl,

I can't help much with the specifics because we just moved out here last week, but my husband's job is in Santa Monica so I've done some looking around at the Westside. I imagine with her price range she'll have a lot of options; it seems like tons of places out here come with a pool and gym whether you like it or not

I can say that Culver City, which I heard tons about as being "hip" and awesome, kind of disappointed me at least :\ And in searching through listings, there don't seem to be as many options for as cheap as you'd think. Brentwood I've heard tons about so I would start there, yes. What about Studio City? It's nice and more affordable than I would have thought.

I've just started looking at places in Santa Monica and there's actually more to choose from in our price range ($1000-$1200) than there is in Culver City, so that blows my mind o_O For $1500, I think she could find a place here and avoid having to drive all the time. Definitely if she's willing to take a studio (and all of them aren't tiny, it seems!)

I'd recommend westsiderentals.com which is what we're using. Free listings online are pretty meh, and I've got ahold of some apartment guides and newspapers here that are also kind of unhelpful, at least to us.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:43 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,682,032 times
Here are some newer (large) apartment buildings in the West LA area with some of the amenities you described.

By "new" I mean generally 5 to 10 years old (unless otherwise noted).

The Legacy at Westwood (on Wilshire, east of Westwood Blvd)
The Legacy at Westwood

The Archstone Westside in Mar Vista (3165 Sawtelle)
Archstone Westside Apartments in Los Angeles |Archstone Apartments

The Crescent in Beverly Hills (155 Crescent Drive at Wilshire)
Beverly Hills Apartment, Luxury Apartment Homes at the Crescent Beverly Hills

The Victor on Venice (Venice Blvd in Palms)
Victor on Venice Apartments - 10001 Venice Blvd. - Los Angeles - EquityApartments.com

The Plaza at Arboretum in Santa Monica (2200 Colorado)
The Plaza At Arboretum Apartments, Santa Monica, CA 90404

Hillcreste Apartments on Pico (in Rancho Park) Note: This complex is like 20 years old.
HillCreste Apartments | Century City, CA | Home

Old 12-08-2011, 02:11 PM

We're actually at the Plaza for 30 days' temporary, just now. It's VERY nice where we are, but keep in mind I don't have a basis of comparison and I don't know the usual rent. I've heard/read people complain about this complex so I'd say be careful if you look into it, though in a week I haven't had any negative experiences. It seems like there are kind of like...sections to the building, people say, so some areas are better than others maybe. Our side (with the pool and the jacuzzi) is very quiet, whereas the other side of the complex (with the 2nd pool) seems to have a lot more families.

There's garage parking, gym, little business center, but I don't know how much people socialize because we're kind of catty-cornered off and don't have neighbors. It's right next door to Ralph's but it's a couple miles from the beach. I bet your friend can get an apartment in a livelier area for her price.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:24 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,553,714 times
Palms is pretty much all apartments, is really close to the neighborhoods you stated, and I believe is pretty walkable as well.

I found my apartment through PadMapper.com, we were in the Bay area and found a pretty great place in Hollywood with it.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyKN View Post
We're actually at the Plaza for 30 days' temporary, just now. It's VERY nice where we are, but keep in mind I don't have a basis of comparison and I don't know the usual rent. I've heard/read people complain about this complex so I'd say be careful if you look into it, though in a week I haven't had any negative experiences. It seems like there are kind of like...sections to the building, people say, so some areas are better than others maybe. Our side (with the pool and the jacuzzi) is very quiet, whereas the other side of the complex (with the 2nd pool) seems to have a lot more families.

There's garage parking, gym, little business center, but I don't know how much people socialize because we're kind of catty-cornered off and don't have neighbors. It's right next door to Ralph's but it's a couple miles from the beach. I bet your friend can get an apartment in a livelier area for her price.
Thanks for the info.! How is the rent there?

Old 12-10-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Here are some newer (large) apartment buildings in the West LA area with some of the amenities you described.

By "new" I mean generally 5 to 10 years old (unless otherwise noted).

The Legacy at Westwood (on Wilshire, east of Westwood Blvd)
The Legacy at Westwood

The Archstone Westside in Mar Vista (3165 Sawtelle)
Archstone Westside Apartments in Los Angeles |Archstone Apartments

The Crescent in Beverly Hills (155 Crescent Drive at Wilshire)
Beverly Hills Apartment, Luxury Apartment Homes at the Crescent Beverly Hills

The Victor on Venice (Venice Blvd in Palms)
Victor on Venice Apartments - 10001 Venice Blvd. - Los Angeles - EquityApartments.com

The Plaza at Arboretum in Santa Monica (2200 Colorado)
The Plaza At Arboretum Apartments, Santa Monica, CA 90404

Hillcreste Apartments on Pico (in Rancho Park) Note: This complex is like 20 years old.
HillCreste Apartments | Century City, CA | Home
Wow, thanks for all these!

If you or anyone else thinks of anything more, please keep adding to the list!

Old 12-11-2011, 01:00 PM

I have no idea how the rent is, we're here 30 days as part of a relocation package :\ I'm thinking it's gonna be in the $1400 - $1500 range, but it's a couple miles from the beach so maybe that's not true. Great amenities though imo, right next to Ralph's and the Water Garden and the Yahoo Center's park (Water Garden's gorgeous), and there are shops - Starbucks, Quiznos, couple more things built right onto the complex.

I've read that a third of the building is Section 8 so maybe that means there's a tiered price range? I can say our 2 bedroom is HUGE and extremely clean and new.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:31 PM

497 posts, read 1,334,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowergirl247 View Post
Hi,

I have a friend looking for an apartment (studio or one bedroom). She wants to live in a complex type place with amenities (possibly a gym, security, covered parking, an option for furnished units, that sort of thing). She's not too familiar with L.A. and isn't here yet to be able to drive around and look. I'd like to help her so she has a list of places to look at when she does arrive.

She likes the west side. She loves Westwood, but the only place I can think of off the top of my head is the Palazzo, which I heard bad things about. Anywhere else? She also likes Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Rancho Park area, etc. I think she's looking for a community type feel, where she can walk to get groceries/restaurants since she doesn't plan on driving out of the area much. Her budget is up to $1400/$1500.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You can probably find a condo in westwood for rent by the owner within your budget. There is also a gym within a few blocks. These bldgs will have covered parking, secure entry and small/uncrowded gyms. Search Veteran Ave for a few that fits your bill both the larger apts & condos have gyms. Check craigslist. Just checked and found 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles