U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 05:24 PM

1,542 posts, read 5,395,502 times

Advertisements

what a crazy day in southern california sports:

first albert pujols signs with the angels, and now chris paul gets traded to the lakers.

Los Angeles Lakers agree to trade Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom for Chris Paul, sources say - ESPN Los Angeles

the lakers will be parting ways with pau gasol and lamar odom, while the rockets' luis scola, kevin martin, and goran dragic are also involved in the deal and headed to new orleans.

now that CP3 has been traded, is it inevitable that dwight howard ends up with the lakers, too? if so, andrew bynum's a goner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 05:33 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,756,882 times
What are the Lakers going to do for front court offense?

Was Fisher (who will know be replaced by CP) a bigger weakness than Gasol and Odom were effective on offense?

At least I know CP gives it 100% every play, every game. I can't say the same for Odom.

I trust Mitch Kupchak though I wonder how that front court (whatever it turns out to be) offense will perform. Can they get Dwight with the new salary cap rules?

Last edited by Charles; 12-08-2011 at 05:46 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 06:02 PM

this is based on nothing more than a hunch, but my gut tells me that the lakers wouldn't have parted with two big men (gasol and odom) in one fell swoop unless they felt pretty confident about acquiring dwight howard (presumably for andrew bynum, draft picks, and spare parts to even out the salaries). if so, a trade for the big man would likely happen within the next week or so now that CP3 is on board.

you're right, though: as of now, the lakers have to pick up a big man who can score.

i don't have too much of a grasp of the new CBA, but i'm assuming that it is indeed possible for the lakers to fit paul, howard, and kobe's salaries under the salary cap - otherwise, it wouldn't have been discussed so often by the media.

as for derek fisher, it's true that he probably hasn't been the liability that gasol and odom were, since those two would disappear for long stretches at a time during crucial games. but mitch kupchak must've figured that this is a once-a-decade opportunity to get a franchise-type player, and so he had to pull the trigger. i mean, CP3 automatically becomes the best point guard the franchise has had in 20 years and potentially could end up as the second best PG in laker history.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
this is based on nothing more than a hunch, but my gut tells me that the lakers wouldn't have parted with two big men (gasol and odom) in one fell swoop unless they felt pretty confident about acquiring dwight howard (presumably for andrew bynum, draft picks, and spare parts to even out the salaries). if so, a trade for the big man would likely happen within the next week or so now that CP3 is on board.

you're right, though: as of now, the lakers have to pick up a big man who can score.

i don't have too much of a grasp of the new CBA, but i'm assuming that it is indeed possible for the lakers to fit paul, howard, and kobe's salaries under the salary cap - otherwise, it wouldn't have been discussed so often by the media.

as for derek fisher, it's true that he probably hasn't been the liability that gasol and odom were at times, since those two would disappear for long stretches at a time during crucial games. but mitch kupchak must've figured that this is a once-a-decade opportunity to get a franchise-type player, and so he had to pull the trigger. i mean, CP3 automatically becomes the best point guard the franchise has had in 20 years.
Kupchak was right about Bynum. Remember when they picked him up? The feeling was there was a 1 in a 100 chance he'd amount to anything but what the hell, they took him and he turned out pretty good so far (injuries still a question mark, maturity a question mark).

I think we're in for a fun year here in LA. I am really looking forward to watching the Clippers too.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Kupchak was right about Bynum. Remember when they picked him up? The feeling was there was a 1 in a 100 chance he'd amount to anything but what the hell, they took him and he turned out pretty good so far (injuries still a question mark, maturity a question mark).
yeah, those high school big men are always a roll of the dice - you're basically banking on their size and potential and hoping that they develop some semblance of a scoring touch down the road.

all things considered, bynum was a solid pick, even with his injuries and inconsistency - especially when you consider how many big men have been total busts in the nba despite previous success at the collegiate level or in european leagues.

and if bynum plus draft picks and spare parts are enough to land dwight howard, then kupchak looks like even more of a genius.

at this point, i'm pretty much expecting dwight howard to end up as a laker. he's basically forced orlando's hand and the lakers have a compatible trade chip in bynum, so it makes sense.

Quote:
I think we're in for a fun year here in LA. I am really looking forward to watching the Clippers too.
agreed.

now imagine if the sacramento kings end up moving to anaheim next year?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:33 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,356,893 times
Sick to my stomach. This is what happens when the NBA owns your team. He's a great player. We get that d-bag Odom, hopefully Khloe will keep her mouth shut and stay in your part of the world.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Sick to my stomach. This is what happens when the NBA owns your team. He's a great player. We get that d-bag Odom, hopefully Khloe will keep her mouth shut and stay in your part of the world.

I'm not from new orleans. Who's Khloe?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I'm not from new orleans. Who's Khloe?
Kardashian.

Reports on my local hornets board are saying that deal is on hold.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:20 PM

Dwight Howard & Chris Paul Traded to Los Angeles Lakers

Old 12-08-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
That story is a few hours old.
NBA on Yahoo! Sports - News, Scores, Standings, Rumors, Fantasy Games

Headline: No Deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles