U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 04:19 PM

15 posts, read 28,998 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd get everyone's opinions on the happenin' spots in LA. We're based in Santa Monica just now but all votes for the LA area are welcome of course What do you guys like to do on the weekends?

What are your favorite -

Music venues
Museums and galleries
Parks
Playhouses
Bars/Restaurants

Or anything else you love

And also, if anyone knows awesome deals - like happy hours or daily specials or whatnot - that's much appreciated too.

(Just found out how much MORE expensive car insurance is in CA compared to SC. Whoooo boy!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 04:58 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,553,714 times
Music venues - The Echo, Music Box, Troubadour
Museums and galleries - Getty, LACMA,
Parks - Hollywood Forever Cemetery, Runyon Canyon
Playhouses - Just been to a few plays since I moved here, I'm no expert

Also I recommend you check out the Upright Citizens Brigade theatre in Hollywood, on Franklin Ave. Most shows range from 1-10 bucks and every time I have gone there has been someone famous (gone about 10 times in the last year or so) ; some shows are clunkers but it doesn't matter, you only paid 5 bucks!

Unfortunately most of my knowledge is in Hollywood / Central LA, but if you are ever in the area I would definitely recommend all of these.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:35 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,557,141 times
I am not much of a going out person; my weekends consist of posting on different forums and watching Netflix. I have plenty of money though; just feel weird going out alone (no friends).

Old 12-10-2011, 01:59 AM

129 posts, read 286,577 times
One of my favorite places in LA is the Griffith Park Observatory, and it's freeeeeeeee!

Old 12-11-2011, 01:19 PM

munchitup, thanks so much for all the tips! We're still apartment hunting (grr) so not partying hard or anything (which for us involves hitting up a lot of museums and art galleries and whatnot xD), but we're definitely going to Upright Citizens Brigade. SO sad that Sarah Silverman dancing is sold out though

Griffith Observatory and the whole park seems tres cool, bet we'll be there a good bit. I also wanna check out Lake Balboa in Sherman Oaks, and there are so many national parks nearby, gotta go to those whenever we have long weekends

Also FREE is the Museum of Contemporary Arts in Hollywood. If anyone's ever in the Santa Monica area, we went to Bergamot Station yesterday - tons of art galleries to stroll, and the art museum there is just a $5 donation.

Very very nice

jackie, I can sympathize lots You know, I think a lot of people make friends through the internet and through their "nerdy" hobbies more than 'going out.' If you're lonely at all you should try to branch out some - just think of it as rude to withhold your cool self from others' company. People won't bite usually - they're too busy feeling insecure about themselves or thinking about their grocery list to be judging you. I'm generally pretty terrible with people - very shy and always seem to say something extremely awkward or inappropriate or offensive. But I'm trying to work on it. Having said that, nothin' wrong with PJing it up with Netflix and snacks, one of my favorite pasttimes

Old 12-11-2011, 07:30 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,531,341 times
The Thrilling Adventure Hour at Largo is really fun & the tickets are only $12

Old 12-12-2011, 03:07 PM

I'd love to make it to a performance or two of the Moth: Events | The Moth. Been listening to their podcast for about a year, I bet.

We were walking around the Chinese Theater in Hollywood over the weekend. The guy(s) that stand nearby offering free tickets to shows - are they usually legit or are there scammers to look out for? Apparently we could have gotten into Craig Ferguson or Dr. Phil

I haven't looked into all of that stuff yet, being part of a studio audience, but this looks like a good place to start: Los Angeles Area TV Studios and Show Tickets

I KNOW this is kind of cheesy. Usually when I travel I try my hardest to not come off as a tourist - but now that we're living here so suddenly, and it's such a big place, I figured I didn't stand a chance convincing anyone I know what's going on, so I ought as well embrace it

Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,547,137 times
i've taken out of town friends to hollywood and we signed up to be audience members for a tv show through a guy on the street. it ended up working out, but you usually end up waiting in line at the studio for quite a while, so only do it if you have a day to waste.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:30 PM

6,333 posts, read 15,794,318 times
In the summer there are lots of free concerts all over the city, including the Santa Monica Pier.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,495,274 times
Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Much to learn about the history of Hollywood and L.A. there, plus it's right next to Paramount Studios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles