Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:30 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times

Advertisements

Definitely would consider San Diego...You're absolutely right could commute to LA to cop the fix.....Even thought about Phoenix, AZ....About a 5hr. drive...which is really not bad...and Phoenix is way more affordable than California. Just something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 03:32 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,981 times
I wouldn't opt for Phoenix unless you love extreme heat.. it is really extreme and not comparable to LA heat. The drive is very boring, along the bare desert mostly, and will get old fast...and if you want "exciting" city, this is certainly not Phoenix, you'd be better off in Las Vegas, with the same distance from LA.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:59 PM

121 posts, read 353,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
I wouldn't opt for Phoenix unless you love extreme heat.. it is really extreme and not comparable to LA heat. The drive is very boring, along the bare desert mostly, and will get old fast...and if you want "exciting" city, this is certainly not Phoenix, you'd be better off in Las Vegas, with the same distance from LA.
Forget Phoenix and most definitely forget LV..I've been to Pheonix many times and I just don't see the appeal of that city. In LV I lived in Henderson (8miles from the strip) and it was the longest 4 months of my life. Stripmalls Galore! BORING! The strip is awful and sleezy and the only form of entertainment anywhere in the area. My reason for moving to LV was only to escape another brutal Chicago winter while waiting for my work transfer to go through to Denver..which unfort never happened. I sublet the remaining part of my lease and got the heck out of there..Living in LV and visiting are two totally different things. Don't waste your time on these mid-sized cities esp if you're wanting to make a big move and real life change. Go somewhere vibrant, exciting and different. I say go to L.A!

Last edited by jld13072; 12-12-2011 at 09:34 PM..

Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwriter View Post
Why LA? There are no jobs there and the cost of living is ridiculous. There are PLENTY of other cities that will give you a change of scenery and a better quality of life.
Of course there are jobs there. What nonsense are you chatting? Do you not see people commuting to their jobs every day? I get jobs all the time.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:53 AM

129 posts, read 316,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Of course there are jobs there. What nonsense are you chatting? Do you not see people commuting to their jobs every day? I get jobs all the time.
What kind of nonsense are YOU chatting? Have you not seen the unemployment statistics for the state of California? Sure I see the people commuting to their minimum wage jobs everyday - but does that really pay the bills? A lot of people are struggling to make it in LA, and why would you want to do that if you don't work in entertainment? LA is a wonderful city, but it will be even better when the economy improves. Now is not the time to just up and move to California unless you are rich, have a huge savings or have a good-paying job lined up.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:09 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
I heard Phoenix was nice compared to Charlotte....Affordable/lots more to do/and just plain fun.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:10 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I heard Phoenix was nice compared to Charlotte....Affordable/lots more to do/and just plain fun.
It depends on what you like to do for fun. I love California's mountains, and even though I rarely went to the beach when I lived there, I loved that the ocean was so close. (I've never been to Phoenix, but I don't know what kind of fun you would find there that you couldn't find in Charlotte.)

Someone said your pay in Los Angeles would only be a little higher than in Charlotte; that might not be true. I know that in some fields pay is much higher in California. For example, the average teacher's salary in CA is about $60,000. In NC it's just under $44,000. For an RN, it's $85,000 in CA and $58,000 in NC. The biggest difference in cost of living will be your housing. Gasoline is a little higher in CA (a lot higher if you've been getting yours in SC). Utilities are lower. Food is about the same, except that in CA you can usually find less expensive produce. There is no sales tax on food.

When/if your house sells, do you expect to get much from it? Enough that you won't have to have a job immediately? If not, get the job first. Even if the house sells quickly, you might need to stay in NC and rent for a while until you have more savings or until a job is lined up. Sell the house first, and as soon as it is under contract start applying to jobs in Los Angeles, San Diego, and Phoenix. If you don't get one before the house deal closes, stay and rent until you get one.

Congratulations on getting your credit card paid off!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:21 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwriter View Post
Why LA? There are no jobs there and the cost of living is ridiculous. There are PLENTY of other cities that will give you a change of scenery and a better quality of life.
Yes, because the quality of living in Los Angeles is barely worth mentioning. All of that sunshine and ocean, great restaurants, endless array of art, music and things to do. Blech! Take me to Toledo, please!

Last edited by Lorielicious; 12-13-2011 at 09:54 AM..

Old 12-13-2011, 05:41 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Wait, What??? Ah, NO!!!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:21 PM

129 posts, read 316,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Yes, because the quality of living in Los Angeles is barely worth mentioning. All of that sunshine and ocean, great restaurants, endless array of art, music and things to do. Blech! Take me to Toledo, please!
Um, excuse me, I never said that Toledo can compare to LA, but there are several cities that can that have a lower cost of living/better quality if life. LA isn't the only city that has warm weather, sunshine, an ocean, great restaurants, music venues and art galleries, you know. It's a big country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles