Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 01:50 PM

22 posts, read 35,704 times

Advertisements

I've accepted a job transfer in Woodland Hills and it's fast approaching (only 1 month away). Here's my issue, I'm going to be leaving behind everyone and everything I know - my friends, family and partner. Why you ask? I've always wanted to move to LA and feel like if I don't do it now, I'll regret it, but I can't help but think about everything I'm 'giving up' to make the move.

I'm from MN where it's cold and would love to escape the weather and explore a new, large US city.

Any advice for a young man like myself grappling with such a move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 02:49 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,283 times
I'm also from MN and went through a simliar thing about 2 years ago. I had been wanting to get out of Minneapolis for years, and finally had a chance to leave when I got a job offer in LA.

LA has been a truly unique experience that I would never trade for anything. I met some great people out here, learned a lot, and have seen a lot of things that I had never dreamed of in Minneapolis, such as learning how to surf, hiking mountains on a weekly basis, and occasionally bumping into celebrities.

With that being said, after 2 years out here, I still battle off and on with homesickness and nostalgia of seeing friends facebook photos without me.

My advice to you: move out to LA. Get out of your comfort zone. Meet some new people. Learn a new area. Minnesota will always be there for you. And, let’s be honest, most people in Minnesota aren’t leaving anytime soon. After two years of being in LA, every time I head back home, I feel like everything is exactly the same as it was when I left it.

Feel free to PM if you need any other advice, from one Minnesotan to another.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:15 PM

33 posts, read 109,864 times
You're young? I would move!

As the last poster mentions, your experience in LA will be most unique. I'm an Angelino and comparing all my family from different small towns & walks of life, the ones that venture into the large cities seem most satisfied and fulfilled as they go through life. I find the ones who never make the move are less open minded than the others who have witnessed lifestyles and experiences different from their own.

Friends I've met from smaller cities sometimes hate it at first as LA is beyond busy and at times you feel lonely in the crowd. However, when they go back to visit home, they say something within them changed and they realize how much the larger city has to offer & can't wait to get back. It's at that point they realize how much they have grown.

Family and home are in ones mind. With technology and a few trips back throughout the year, it would not take much to touch home base. Besides, if you end up loving it, your partner can be talked into moving out some day. If not, you can always move back. Good Luck!

Old 03-20-2012, 09:33 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,730 times
Go for it. If you don't, you'll always wonder "what if..."

It isn't like you can't leave if things don't work out. You can always move back to MN.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,099,754 times
the advice of yoyo is spot on. i made a move out to LA last year for a job and had the time of my life. i myself missed home a little since i didn't have any family or friends out there either. you're going to make a lot of new friends though and the people there are nice.

although i was starting to get a lot of opportunities out there, i decided to head back home for the time being to save up more, and hang with friends and family since i was traveling the country and living in LA the past few years. you won't regret it. as others say too, you can just move back if you want to. that's what i did, and still have in mind to return there one day.

*i think i asked a similar questions like around feb of last year so you can look that up and see the replies too. unless you're coming here with no money saved, you'll have a great time transitioning to LA.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,067 times
you don't need your friends and family, you can go to LA and get new friends

Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,326 times
Do it and get it out of your system while you're young and (presumably) childless.

If you don't, you'll regret it.

Do yourself a favor, though, and forget everything you know or even think about LA or else you'll be one of those people posting a gripe thread about LA because it didn't match your pre/misconceptions.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 PM

14 posts, read 17,907 times
Why not? You're young, you can move back relatively easy if you don't like LA. You only live once.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:44 AM

339 posts, read 777,575 times
Go West, young man, Go West!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,646 times
Only a month away, and you don't have a place to live? If you give your budget and what kind of housing you expect, and what kind of commute you can tolerate, that could help people in giving responses. Woodland Hills, is, of course, in the suburban San Fernando Valley. Your experience will be quite different if you live there vs., say, living further out, or closer to downtown, or even Studio City, Burbank, etc.

I assume you visited the area. It's such an individual thing as to whether you will enjoy it. You're having second thoughts. Natural. If you have a good-paying job, with openings in many places (eg., you could move if Woodland Hills doesn't turn out to be your cup of tea), that would seem to make the decision easier. I assume you have, or will have, a car.

Check air fares to Minneapolis from LAX and Burbank (latter will be closer to you but has fewer flights, especially long flights).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles