U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:12 AM

128 posts, read 196,910 times

Advertisements

the port of long beach area has the worst air because the 710 is a truck highway. i worked over there and the particulate level is horrid due to the billions of trucks going to and from the port.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 11:14 AM

5,242 posts, read 11,723,570 times
You get that black soot on everything in San Francisco which has very clean air (mainly because it juts out into the ocean and all the pollution gets blown inland). Maybe it's tire dust but I always assumed it was particulates from car/truck exhaust. I don't really get any similar soot in Oakland where I live about a mile from a highway, in SF I didn't live anywhere near any highways but my windowsills and anything near my open windows would get coated in dust pretty quickly.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,652,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMurphy64 View Post
the port of long beach area has the worst air because the 710 is a truck highway. i worked over there and the particulate level is horrid due to the billions of trucks going to and from the port.
Most of the particulate pollution is attributable to the burning of bunker fuel on the ships themselves. Hooray for globalism.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:33 PM

401 posts, read 656,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Most of the particulate pollution is attributable to the burning of bunker fuel on the ships themselves. Hooray for globalism.
could you kindly point to a source for the info? Most of what I've read points to big rig diesel emissions at the largest source of particulates.

There is a huge Caltech study happening now where they are taking air samples at different altitudes trying to determine exactly what's floating around up there.

Also, on the big rig diesel dust issue... Hope is on the horizon:
GreenPort - Zero-Emission Hydrogen Fuel Cell Truck

Old 12-16-2011, 03:04 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,652,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
could you kindly point to a source for the info? Most of what I've read points to big rig diesel emissions at the largest source of particulates.

There is a huge Caltech study happening now where they are taking air samples at different altitudes trying to determine exactly what's floating around up there.

Also, on the big rig diesel dust issue... Hope is on the horizon:
GreenPort - Zero-Emission Hydrogen Fuel Cell Truck
Unpleasant stuff:

Ships calling on the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach are responsible for more than 30 tons per day of sulfur oxide emissions – roughly half of the total emitted by all sources in the region. Sulfur oxide emissions contribute to the formation of fine particulate (PM2.5) pollution. Southern California cannot achieve the federal health-based standard for PM2.5 by a federally mandated 2015 deadline unless sulfur emissions from ships are greatly reduced.
Ship Emission Reduction Legislation

I know its only Wiki but:

Heavy pollution sources at the ports include the ships themselves, which burn high-sulfur, high-soot-producing bunker fuel to maintain internal electrical power while docked, as well as heavy diesel pollution from drayage trucks at the ports, and short-haul tractor-trailer trucks ferrying cargo from the ports to inland warehousing, rail yards, and shipping centers.
Long Beach, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Around page 35-36, ship fuel identified as one source.
http://www.lbds.info/civica/filebank...sp?BlobID=2437

Also:
Clean Air Awards 2006

As a LB resident, the smell of bunker fuel is very specific and very noxious. If the soot it belches is commensurate to its stench, it must be significant.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:33 PM

401 posts, read 656,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Unpleasant stuff:

Ships calling on the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach are responsible for more than 30 tons per day of sulfur oxide emissions – roughly half of the total emitted by all sources in the region. Sulfur oxide emissions contribute to the formation of fine particulate (PM2.5) pollution. Southern California cannot achieve the federal health-based standard for PM2.5 by a federally mandated 2015 deadline unless sulfur emissions from ships are greatly reduced.
Ship Emission Reduction Legislation

I know its only Wiki but:

Heavy pollution sources at the ports include the ships themselves, which burn high-sulfur, high-soot-producing bunker fuel to maintain internal electrical power while docked, as well as heavy diesel pollution from drayage trucks at the ports, and short-haul tractor-trailer trucks ferrying cargo from the ports to inland warehousing, rail yards, and shipping centers.
Long Beach, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Around page 35-36, ship fuel identified as one source.
http://www.lbds.info/civica/filebank...sp?BlobID=2437

Also:
Clean Air Awards 2006

As a LB resident, the smell of bunker fuel is very specific and very noxious. If the soot it belches is commensurate to its stench, it must be significant.
Thanks for the info! I learn something new everyday. Reppie sent.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:23 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,444,807 times
Ever since electronic injections replaced the carburetor, smog has been getting less.. Drive in LA and it doesn't take long to notice all the Prius on the roads..

Old 08-13-2013, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,219 times
Default It's haze, not smog

I grew up in northern Wisconsin and I've never noticed smog in LA, no worse than any other large city. I've been living here since 2006 but I didn't notice it when I arrived either. I remember visiting here when I was a child and the air quality was bad then, but due to fairly strict regulations the air quality is fine now (again, no worse than any other city). I hike, cycle, and participate in many outdoor activities, even though I've had allergies all my life, and I've never had a problem. I don't think you can "get used" to smog completely if it's particularly bad. I think some people simply have preconceived notions based on old data and they see/experience what they want to see/experience. It's hard to get past old stereotypes, whether they pertain to people or cities. It's like when Europeans insist on taking photos the poverty striken areas of the country, or of particularly overweight Americans when they visit, so they can show the photos to others in Europe and they can collectively hold on to their preconceived stereotypes of America/Americans. People see what they what the want to see.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:35 PM

514 posts, read 704,871 times
Depends on where you are. One can't say it's the same ALL over L.A Obviously, areas near the ocean have cleaner air, like the Westside. Even Downtown L.A is not bad at all, only when Santa Anas blow. During winter the air is crisp and clean.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:46 PM

77 posts, read 105,674 times
I know this is mostly an old thread, but for anyone seeing it now, there is a web site where you can look at detailed AQI (air quality index) data both for the present and historically:

AIRNow

If you explore LA, you will find that by and large the AQI is relatively fine most of the time in most of the main populated areas. Be sure to compare to other cities around the country for context. You'll see that LA is on average not really worse and some parts are quite a bit better. There are exceptions as you get out deep into inland pockets where air quality suffers more. For comparison, keep in mind that the famously bad air in places like China routinely runs at numbers over 300 on the AQI scale -- levels that LA does not even come close to even on a bad day.

I used to live in a rural area in the northeast where air pollution was a non-issue. The AQI numbers where I live now in LA are really not qualitatively worse, relative to the whole AQI spectrum. I certainly don't perceive any difference.

I agree with dbax that what people often still see in LA is haze, a natural phenomenon. This does seem to vary widely by location and time of year, but in general, yes LA is a hazier region than average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles