U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:05 PM

215 posts, read 433,808 times

Advertisements

Here is a link: Chicago gas price highest of any major continental U.S. city - Apr. 27, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,851,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
the big difference here is the size of the area. LA metro area is at least twice the size of Chi metro area - i drive 20k miles a year and it seems like i barely go anywhere. People in LA drive A LOT. I've never heard of people in Chicago spending miles and miles and miles per year in their cars. While gas may be $.10 higher in Chicago, i highly doubt the average annual mileage will be anywhere close to the average person in LA.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:40 PM

215 posts, read 433,808 times
That is probably true however to an extent you choose where you live. I choose to live 3.5 miles from work, so gas is cheaper for me here than it would be in Chicago, although in Chicago I wouldn't own a car.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
That is probably true however to an extent you choose where you live. I choose to live 3.5 miles from work, so gas is cheaper for me here than it would be in Chicago, although in Chicago I wouldn't own a car.
exactly my point. all the things in mentioned combined make LA expensive.

*expensive gas (maybe not the MOST expensive, but within 10 cents (minuscule - for me this would be 2.5 more per fillup.))
*owing a car and everything that goes with it - insurance, gas, maintenance, car washes, AAA, etc etc.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:23 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,180,932 times
Get a Prius or live close to work if you are worried about gas prices. It's not like it's an insurmountable problem, especially if you are working downtown which is one of the few places with effective public transportation here.

I don't find food, clothing, or other things more expensive in L.A. than in most other areas of the country.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:27 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Rent here is almost exactly equal to my rent in Boston.

1300 for a one bedroom here vs. 1250 for a one bedroom there; my building here is 100x nicer and better maintained with an on-site management. I also live in a more desirable neighborhood than in Boston.

I didn't own a car in Boston and though my wife and I have one car (she has to have it for work) we don't need it for everyday items. It rarely moves on weekends.

Everyday items are not any more expensive here than in Boston, as far as I could tell and for cheap entertainment and food, the options in LA are far greater.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Get a Prius or live close to work if you are worried about gas prices. It's not like it's an insurmountable problem, especially if you are working downtown which is one of the few places with effective public transportation here.

I don't find food, clothing, or other things more expensive in L.A. than in most other areas of the country.
I dont mean this as rude by any means, but you live in Glendale. Housing prices in your area are much more in line with the rest of the country. I personally do not care about gas prices, and no one said it was a 'problem'. Also, no - food, clothes, whatever - are not more expensive here, but TAXES are, as I said above. The home I live in would cost 3-4 times less in Glendale, and 8-10 times less in AZ, NV, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup
Rent here is almost exactly equal to my rent in Boston.

1300 for a one bedroom here vs. 1250 for a one bedroom there; my building here is 100x nicer and better maintained with an on-site management. I also live in a more desirable neighborhood than in Boston.

I didn't own a car in Boston and though my wife and I have one car (she has to have it for work) we don't need it for everyday items. It rarely moves on weekends.

Everyday items are not any more expensive here than in Boston, as far as I could tell and for cheap entertainment and food, the options in LA are far greater.
1300 is an extremely low monthly rent for a one bedroom in most desirable areas of LA. I don't really agree with this comparison. Normal rents around West LA are in the 1600 range for a 'normal' 1 bedroom. You'll push 1800-2000 for a nice 1 bedroom, newer construction with a w/d in unit. These prices are less than NYC, but again - there are less other expenses in NYC than LA.

As far as 'normal goods' costing the same as elsewhere - as i mentioned above - i agree with this. But remember, sales tax is LA is close to 9% (and over 9% in some areas), so you'll PAY MORE for same priced item in LA than Boston (with their ~6% sales tax). That extra 3% adds up.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:39 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,936,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
Downtown, Loz Feliz, culver city, and santa monica.

I will admit, I have really no feel for LA. I would be most probably working near the US Bank tower area/pershing square metro.

I know LA is totally different but I enjoyed living in the Dupont Circle (DC), East Village (NYC) areas.
Consider Hollywood. We lived in Woodley Park (but would have lived in Dupont Circle if we could have quickly found a place -- spent a LOT of time in Dupont Circle) and recently signed a lease in the East Village. When we moved to LA from DC we had initially focused on Los Feliz, but by fluke ended up checking out Hollywood. I'd highly recommend taking a look. Great public transportation, highly walkable, eclectic mix of residents. It's a weird neighborhood, but if you enjoy a little weirdness coupled with urban living, Hollywood is where it's at. Lots of beautiful older historic buildings, too, if you're into that.

My move to LA it a bit obsolete now (we arrived in the city six years ago), but FWIW, our place in Hollywood was about the same price as we paid in DC. Public transportation was cheaper in LA, as was food. Utilities were cheaper, although that's because we didn't have a/c (wouldn't recommend that; you'll want one in the summer!) And as for driving, unless you like to drive or have a job that requires it, there's no reason you need to be driving all over the place all the time. Just like in Dupont Circle you presumably don't spend your days driving all over the metro area, at least not if you can avoid it. And since you're working downtown, all you would need to do is to hop on the Red Line and you'll be there in no time. I never drove while in LA, and while I think having access to a car is nice -- there are a lot of great weekend or daytrips that you'll want to enjoy at some point or another -- it's a surprisingly good city as far as getting around without a car, assuming you pick your location right. And working downtown will make it that much easier, as there's going to be good public transit options there from many different locations.

We later moved to San Francisco and then more recently did the NYC apartment hunt, and both are definitely FAR more expensive than LA. Thought we were moving to Chicago, which seemed to be about the same or maybe a bit less. I would never go so far as to call LA "cheap," but it is more affordable than some of the other big American cities. And it's the best city we've ever lived in as far as inexpensive food. Think year-round fresh produce and cheap, good ethnic restaurants in particular. I miss LA!

Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
1300 is an extremely low monthly rent for a one bedroom in most desirable areas of LA. I don't really agree with this comparison. Normal rents around West LA are in the 1600 range for a 'normal' 1 bedroom. You'll push 1800-2000 for a nice 1 bedroom, newer construction with a w/d in unit. These prices are less than NYC, but again - there are less other expenses in NYC than LA.

As far as 'normal goods' costing the same as elsewhere - as i mentioned above - i agree with this. But remember, sales tax is LA is close to 9% (and over 9% in some areas), so you'll PAY MORE for same priced item in LA than Boston (with their ~6% sales tax). That extra 3% adds up.
Yeah I live in Hollywood. I would say it is fairly desirable (extremely walkable, transit friendly), and my building is absolutely gorgeous (part of the reason our rent is so cheap is we moved in pre-renovation).

I guess west side rents are a little more expensive but I think you are exaggerating a bit on your numbers. 1600 is way high for a 'normal' apartment. There are plenty for about how much I pay in lots of very nice neighborhoods on the westside. Personally I wouldn't want to live there anyways.

And I don't care about the tax; I am glad to pay it because some of it funds new transportation projects and other important projects. I have no problem with the taxes here.

I like uptown urbanist's mention of the cheap produce. Every neighborhood it seems has its own farmers market, some have multiple markets, and all are top-notch IMO

Old 12-17-2011, 03:53 AM

313 posts, read 675,978 times
I agree. The idea of "desirable part of town" seems to be upper class areas with 10 cafes to every 7-11 to people here. I just moved here and haven't found it to be outrageous. I recieved a cist of living adjustment to my salary that leaves me better off even if my apartment is a few hundred more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or