U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 03:45 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,111,749 times

Advertisements

Before everyone flames me, I am a mid-twenties professional who is looking for a next move after living in DC, Baltimore and NYC.

I have a few interviews in LA and I was just browsing through craigslist for apartments and looking at other COL measures and was surprised how cheap LA was compared to DC, NYC, and SF for comparable housing and wages aren't that much different, atleast for me.

Is there any particular reason? I can understand the bay and NYC being more expensive, but was thoroughly shocked that it just seems that DC is way more expensive than LA (minus the ultra ultra high-end 100 million dollar market).

Is there something I am missing or not taking into account for LA COL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 04:07 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Where in LA are you looking?

It's a huge city / area... some places are very expensive, some are relatively inexpensive. But you typically get what you pay for when it comes to QOL.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,111,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Where in LA are you looking?

It's a huge city / area... some places are very expensive, some are relatively inexpensive. But you typically get what you pay for when it comes to QOL.
Downtown, Loz Feliz, culver city, and santa monica.

I will admit, I have really no feel for LA. I would be most probably working near the US Bank tower area/pershing square metro.

I know LA is totally different but I enjoyed living in the Dupont Circle (DC), East Village (NYC) areas.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:09 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,707,857 times
ooh if you liked living in dupont circle, you will probably like living in west hollywood

Old 12-14-2011, 07:19 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
Downtown, Loz Feliz, culver city, and santa monica.

I will admit, I have really no feel for LA. I would be most probably working near the US Bank tower area/pershing square metro.

I know LA is totally different but I enjoyed living in the Dupont Circle (DC), East Village (NYC) areas.
Los Feliz is nice, a little less urban but still has all the amenities and is really walkable. Plus the Red line will zip you downtown in a matter of minutes. Close to freeways if driving is your thing.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:08 AM

1,368 posts, read 2,989,923 times
LA rental prices aren't bad at all, it's purchasing that's still out of whack.

But DC has had a much stronger economy in the last few years so that's limited its downside.

LA is more comparable to Chicago and Boston in terms of rental prices than DC/SF.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:03 PM

725 posts, read 2,664,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
LA is more comparable to Chicago and Boston in terms of rental prices than DC/SF.
Disagree. Chicago is still more affordable than L.A.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:55 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,851,375 times
if you are strictly talking about rental prices, you may be correct. Except:

-LA has most expensive gas in the country (except some places in AK, HI and NYC), but no one drives in NYC.
-LA has some of the highest sales taxes in the country.

The fact that you'll pay +0.5%-1% higher sales tax on nearly everything you buy, and spending money on fuel, etc to drive all other the place, raises LA's cost of living higher than NYC.

When i lived in The City, i spent significantly less money on a monthly basis (no car, no insurance, no gas, etc etc) than in LA

Old 12-15-2011, 04:31 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,179,900 times
LA aint cheap!!

You call a $5,000,000 house in Malibu or Beverly Hills cheap?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:02 PM

215 posts, read 433,808 times
The Beverly Hills of any city in America is expensive. LA also doesn't have the most expensive gas prices in the country on average Chicago and San Fran are usually quite a bit higher. When I was in Chicago in May, gas was at 4.99 a gallon, here it was 4.25. Which caused me to look up the averages and Chicago does indeed tend to top the nation in gas prices with SF close behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or