U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:09 AM

883 posts, read 971,461 times

Advertisements

I live in north orange county, so irvine is only about 20 miles away. I had a training class that started at 8:00 in the morning, and it took me over an hour each way to get to class. on Friday it was more like 90 minutes. Granted it's all in the timing, but I would absolutely not live in LA and work in Irvine. If Irvine is out of your budget, I suggest you look in Costa Mesa, or maybe Tustin. You might find something there. The suggestion up thread to look in Fullerton was good, too. Or maybe orange, near old town. I can't believe an apartment in downtown LA is significantly cheaper than a 1 bedroom in Irvine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 12:55 AM

2,209 posts, read 3,705,518 times
... as we curiously await his reappearance.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 PM

347 posts, read 538,512 times
Metrolink is the way to go! If you live in downtown, you just have to take the train from Union station to the Tustin Metro stop, or the Irvine stop. EASY PEASY! I do it all the time from the Tustin stop to Union station and back. No car, no gas, no waiting in traffic! The earliest train from Union Station to Irvine is at 6:45am and you arrive at 7:45am in Irvine. In the afternoon to get back home the latest train is at 5:10pm, you get to union station around 6:20pm. Amtrak has even LATER times, but I think its a bit more expensive. In my opinion, its a great idea since you would live in Downtown, and use the train to get to work. If you don't want to use the train, then no, don't commute. kIn Orange County, you could find cool condos, apartments or even lofts a lot cheaper than Irvine in Santa Ana, Fullerton, Costa Mesa, Orange etc.. You just have to look for them.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:33 PM

12 posts, read 20,168 times
Ya, I'm afraid the commute gets old, REALLY fast. We tried it for a year, and had to move closer. The commute was turning my mild-mannered husband into a crazed yelling lunatic.

I'd agree that Long Beach could be a good solution. Huntington beach prices are decent too, but you'll see more high-rises in Long Beach. Ooh, check out old-town Orange. The city of Orange, that is. It's very cool, and would be an easy 15 min commute to Irvine!

Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM

14,217 posts, read 16,075,278 times
The traffic will literally "kill" you. Find a place in OC.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:20 PM

369 posts, read 467,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I have a friend that commutes from Pasadena to Irvine. 90-120minutes each way. Don't do it.
Agree with this! I did the very same drive for one year, and though I loved my place down in the OC, I had to move up to Pasadena because the commute was just unbearable and exhausting.

There are lots of places for rent down closer to Irvine. Costa Mesa, the nicer neighborhoods of Huntington Beach, Fullerton, Fountain Valley, Laguna Beach and Dana Point are also options. Live in the OC...don't try to make that crazy commute, or you'll find yourself moving to Orange County within a year anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles