U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:33 PM

7 posts, read 47,249 times

Advertisements

I'm currently planning a move to California and am having the absolute worst luck with apartments hunting. One of the issues I'm having is that there aren't any decently priced apartments in Irvine. Everything I've looked at is so expensive. I understand that California has a higher cost of living, but I didn't expect this.
I will be transferring to California with my job and I had hopes of living in Los Angeles and commuting to Irvine. I visited LA last year and really loved the downtown area. When looking up directions, it says it'll be about an hour drive. This obviously doesn't include traffic. What are the roads like mid-morning? Is there even a difference in what time I'd be traveling?
Although I would love to live closer to work, I can tell I would enjoy myself more living in LA. Then again, the gas I'd use for my commute might just be enough to make me just find a place in Irvine.
I'm not even sure what a good median would be for a city so that there is equal distance to both cities.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 06:38 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,782,649 times
I have a friend that commutes from Pasadena to Irvine. 90-120minutes each way. Don't do it.

As far as expense, look at Costa Mesa, particularly around Orange Coast College if you're looking for a studio/1bd

Old 12-14-2011, 09:12 PM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
I was going to try to answer this question, but OP has to be going on a false premise.

A loft in Downtown LA is not less expensive than a 1 bedroom apartment in Irvine except the $700-900 places at the Alexandria and maybe the $500 rooms at the Huntington. And anyway youd spend more in gas than you'd save in rent.

Fork over the $1100-1200/mo it costs to rent a 1 bedroom in Costa Mesa or get a roommate.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:04 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,707,857 times
downtown to about anaheim should be brake light city, but after that it should be clear sailing all the way...for another 45 minutes

Old 12-15-2011, 09:28 AM

2,209 posts, read 3,705,518 times
First of all, don't do it. Not just Gas but car maintenance is also something you have to consider.

Look into downtown areas of Santa Ana, Orange, and Fullerton. If you're willing to, try downtown Long Beach.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:35 AM

31,391 posts, read 17,541,469 times
The general rule of thumb when living in SoCal is to live as close as possible to your workplace, precisely because of our crazy (and sometimes unpredictable) traffic patterns on the freeways. If you're going to be working in Irvine, try looking in Costa Mesa, Tustin or Orange for more affordable housing options. Also, getting a roommate might help.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:00 AM

128 posts, read 196,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
First of all, don't do it. Not just Gas but car maintenance is also something you have to consider.

Look into downtown areas of Santa Ana, Orange, and Fullerton. If you're willing to, try downtown Long Beach.
i agree with bvitamin, the drive from LA to Irvine would be BRUTAL!!! you would want to hang yourself after a week....Downtown Long Beach, by the beach is really pretty cheap as far as ca prices go...irvine is super expensive. plus snobby. lol. My boyfriend works in Irvine and lives in downtown LB and he has a 45 min commute. but he doesnt seem to complain that much. or as someone else said costa mesa, but that is still higher than DT LB. My bf has a 2 bdrm with an upstairs for 1300 and i have seen one bedrooms all over for like 900 to 1100. he is one street from ocean(the beach) and its actually not that bad there.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:30 PM

75 posts, read 177,204 times
Yer dreamin, bro. I stayed in LA for a week to visit business schools back in October. I was staying at the Hollywood hostel with is basically in North Hollywood. When I drove down to Irvine to visit UCI, my drive down from Hollywood to Irvine was like an hour & ten minutes with not too much traffic. The drive back was like an hour & 20 min.

Not the best commute in the world. Now factor in having to drive at high traffic hours...nah, forget about it bro. Even Long Island would be too much of a commute. Take advantage of living in the OC and get a place in Newport Beach or somethin. That is about as far a commute as you SHOULD be making.

You can always visit LA on the weekends.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:43 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,936,811 times
Don't do it. You'll burn all your money on the commute, and you won't have time to enjoy downtown living, anyway, as you'll be spending all your time in the car. You could take commuter rail to Irvine (leaves from Union Station), but that would add up fast, too.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:16 AM

237 posts, read 595,405 times
If you really must chose to live in LA, than your ONLY real option for commuting to Irvine is Metrolink, the commuter rail service. What others have said about the drive is SPOT ON, and it can be red-lights and brake city all the PAST Irvine.

From Union Station trains stop at Tustin, which is a bit north of the western end of Irivne, and also stop at the Irvine Transportation Center at Spectrum, which has a lot of the large corporate offices nearby. There are shuttles serving the Irvine TC @ Spectrum to take commuters to their buildings, but you will have to research this.

However, keep in mind that you would be commuting OPPOSITE the mass commute. In other words, the vast majority of trains are coming INTO LA in the morning and you would be heading out. There are trains (including Amtrak Pacific Surfliner trains free for Metrolink MONTHLY Pass holders) serving Union Station and Irvine TC, but very few in your desired direction. And your return commute in the afternoon would also be just a few trains. However, there are people who do the opposite commute and LOVE it, and it works very well for them.

Please consider other cities along the Metrolink routes on either side of Irvine, as well. For example, Fullerton has a nice little walkable village with nightlife. You could consider Oceanside, with more trains heading up to Irvine in the morning than from Los Angeles.

Please research at metrolinktrains-dot-com and Amtrak Pacific Surfliners for details. You can also check MTA-dot-net, for connections to Union Station.

I know both areas extremely well, and I understand the stiffing homogenous feel of much of Irvine and it's total hatred of pedestrians (I refer to design). If money were no object, I would suggest Newport Beach, but money is an object. The area around UCI and Turtle Rock are very nice, but not so much the rest, at least the rest seems so lego land.

Consider other cities not too far a drive away. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles