U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:25 AM

347 posts, read 809,708 times

Advertisements

Just checking in quick if anyone has noticed any improvement? I'm pretty much done with my sabbatical of living in my Midwest hometown (which I hate) and well...loathe moving, and won't dig the traffic, but usually I have had decent luck with work there, compared to here.

I am in the commercial lines/excess & surplus lines insurance world as an account manager (not the salesperson, but assistant).

If anyone knows how that is looking, please drop a reply. I have connections out there and they say it is so-so but there are a lot of people looking, so I am thinking that since I have active relationships with professionals in my industry, I should have a better shot.

Any insight, please add. I lived there 91-99 and 06-07...each time I moved to the Midwest, it was a relationship (I know, I know) which I wouldn't fall prey to again because I know how hard it is to find work here.

I want this move to be my last and I want to time it for Spring of 2012. The niche I am in doesn't exist here; though after 3 years of looking, I found a job that was good enough, but it is ending because they are a hot mess and will probably close this upcoming year, for reasons you can read under my post in the Employment thread.

Last question to add, is if apartment prices have dropped or gone up at all (1 bd is ideal). I used to live in Studio City, jr 1 bd at $1060 but this time I am looking at Los Feliz, Silverlake or Pasadena. Realize now I never was a Valley girl

Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 03:06 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,680,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
Just checking in quick if anyone has noticed any improvement?
I have not. Furthermore, this is probably as good as it gets in a post-American America. Next stop: more of the same...

Old 12-15-2011, 08:36 AM

129 posts, read 286,577 times
Hey there - I went to college in Milwaukee (family lives in Chicago area now) and I hate the Midwest with a passion, too. We keep going back and forth from Florida to LA, hoping that the job situation will improve, but I don't think it has. We just left LA for New Orleans so that my husband can finally find some construction work.

I don't know the job situation in your field, but I think that rents have gone up due to high demand. In the recent past, we've rented a 1 bedroom apt. in Van Nuys for $1250 and one in Encino for $1300. You could probably find a studio in your desired areas for those prices now. I'm hoping that we get more bang for our buck here in New Orleans because I'm sick of the high LA rents and tiny apartments.

Best of luck on your move!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:42 AM

347 posts, read 809,708 times
Default Thanks for the quick replies...

I think that it is a new America - there probably won't be a massive imporovement. That being said, I do think that I am ready to go. Financially I need a few months - hoping Feb/March even if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Once I have polished up the resume and spoken to headhunters, I will report back to what they say. I have enough experience to hopefully grab something in the upper 40's-low 50's which is plenty for me for a start.

Too bad my hometown couldn't have been just one state over This 3,000 mile move is definitely my last though, barring any uber-rich multi-location husband, however ...

I appreciate the feedback and I really am going to keep my mind focused on this so it happens.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:32 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,182,585 times
California is still among the highest in the nation in unemployment.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:59 PM

215 posts, read 434,312 times
Depends on the industry, tech and accounting is booming, but they weren't all that badly affected in the first place. Other industries are hit or miss.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:36 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,706,795 times
There are still no jobs. Nothing's improved.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:30 PM

223 posts, read 394,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
Depends on the industry, tech and accounting is booming, but they weren't all that badly affected in the first place. Other industries are hit or miss.
Working in IT I've found this to be true. There are plenty of tech jobs to be found in Los Angeles.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:38 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,688,456 times
If you're from anywhere else, burning bridges back east and putting all your eggs in the basket that is California seems like a very foolish notion right now.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:03 AM

215 posts, read 434,312 times
Well it worked for me, and a lot of other people. Like I said it all depends on the industry and your ability to network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles