Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,643 times

Advertisements

My family is transferring to LA due to my husband's job. He will be working in downtown LA. Are there any apts./home for rent that are decent, in a low-crime, safe area of town, no more than $1400 a month for a three bedroom? If so, what is the best, most affordable place to raise a family near LA where my husband would not have to be in the car commuting for hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:53 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
No there aren't and thats no joke. You'll be hard pressed to find a 2 bedroom place in a safe neighborhood for $1400. And I'd be VERY cautious of ads proclaiming that price on a 3 bedroom place. For instance this one:

Very Clean in Quiet Neighborhood (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2744895141.html - broken link)

states that its in West Hollywood, which IS a nice area. But Western/Santa Monica is not anywhere near West Hollywood, and its is a bad neighborhood.

If you can bump your budget up to $1900-2200/mo you can rent a house in Lakewood, Whittier, Covina areas that are safe and have better than average schools. 1 hour rush hour commute to downtown from any of those places.

Or take the train in from Lancaster/Palmdale.

You MAYBE can find something in Santa Clarita....apartment or townhome. Theres a train stop there also, as well as a bus line too that goes directly to downtown. Again an hour commute. TBH, this is probably your best option as its a nice place with good schools for the most part.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:26 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Metrolink :: Welcome live near a stop out in riverside or san bernardino counties and maybe you'll be able to find a house for under $1500/month.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:05 AM

128 posts, read 220,561 times
I wouldnt want to live in downtown los angeles. uk. find something north or south. I live in lakewood and use to drive to santamonic, which is about the same, and it was bout 1.5 hours. if you lived north of it, i think traffic would maybe be better.

i think it would be hard to get a 3 bdrm in a nice area for 1400. maybe a 2 bdrm in a medium area. dont know why rent is so high when the econonmy sucks so bad, there are soooo many places for rent but no one can afford them!!!!

Old 12-16-2011, 11:10 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayymms View Post
My family is transferring to LA due to my husband's job. He will be working in downtown LA. Are there any apts./home for rent that are decent, in a low-crime, safe area of town, no more than $1400 a month for a three bedroom? If so, what is the best, most affordable place to raise a family near LA where my husband would not have to be in the car commuting for hours?
Oh man.

-affordable in LA.
-$1400 budget for a HOUSE

This is a mess.

In many areas of LA that fit your criteria (low crime, safe, good for a family), $1400 is barely an adequate budget for a 1 bedroom.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:24 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
Have you looked at Koreatown? True, some parts of K-town is downright sketchy, particularly south of Wilshire, but some areas are okay and it's just minutes from DTLA

Old 12-18-2011, 12:39 AM

237 posts, read 668,614 times
Many people confuse Downtown LA for other parts of the city, since they look and feel like a downtown. I can't tell you how many out-of-towners think Wilshire Center or Miracle Mile or Century City or even Westwood is "downtown" Please be more specific, such as the address of the building your husband will be working. This makes a huge difference in housing and transportation options.

It sounds like the burbs are the best bet for you, but far out burbs. Your best hope is to find something not too far from a Metrolink train station, and you hubby's commute to LA will be a breeze whilst you and your family are in suburbia. The problem is, you may find your price-point and what you want in places that are BEYOND a Metolink trains last station. Examine all the points along all the lines. Antelope Valley may be your only real hope, but it is DESERT out there. Same for hard-hit (but good for you) Riverside. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles