U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,539,455 times

Advertisements

I think the walls of my apartment must be made out of pure steel or something - I can't hear anything my neighbors do on either side. I live right off of a busy street so I can hear traffic and construction through the windows. The walls are so thick that I don't even get cell-phone reception inside my apartment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 03:35 PM

614 posts, read 1,289,674 times
In west hollywood, I could hear EVERYTHING. I lived in a typical 60's construction apt you see everywhere in LA and weho. My bedroom and the unit next door's bedroom shared walls too which made it even worse. Plus when the unit above me moved out, the landlord installed laminate I believe with very minimal padding and the noise became unbearable. I swear the girl would walk around in her heels all day and night.

I've moved to Sherman Oaks since and now in my condo(80's construction)I don't hear a peep. It's a top floor corner unit with only one shared wall(kitchen to kitchen)which drastically helps too.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:42 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,455,304 times
This should be something the government should be concerned about...probably more of a real quality of life issue to a lot of people versus Lead Paint. Being stressed because of noises of lack of sleep can really have an effect on your quality of life.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:30 PM

601 posts, read 615,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
The best fool-proof thing to do if yer living in an apt with thin walls is to get you one of those portable fans. Then, turn it on before going to sleep. It blocks out all the noise around you with a nice, steady hum.

No neighbors disturbed & no sleep disturbed.
But what about fan death?! Haha.

Ironically, my husband and I briefly experienced the opposite effect last year - after living in noisy places for years, we finally moved somewhere quiet, and....it was too quiet. We couldn't sleep very well the first few nights cause we were used to all that background noise, and the quiet was off-putting.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:49 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,818,865 times
I recall a place when I was single. The typical 1950s place with the units on stilts above the parking, with a few studios on the ground floor facing the pool. Very, very thin walls.

Naturally, one night shortly after moving in ... I heard the repetitive squeaking ... and then the sounds of passion. That of course would become the norm on a few nights.

Classic! LOL!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:17 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,455,304 times
You lived in a dingbat !

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingbat_(building)

I did too !

Sounds of passion...ewww

Old 01-31-2014, 02:54 AM

9,715 posts, read 13,615,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I had no problem with the exterior walls, but my bedroom wall which was also the wall for the neighbor;s bedroom , was so thin, I could hear him banging his girlfriend almost every night.
You must have lived in the same building I lived in! As I was moving into one apartment building, I could hear someone clearing their throat. I thought it was coming from outside but when I looked out the window, there was no one there. Turned out, it was coming from the next-door-neighbors.

I could not only hear my neighbor banging his girlfriend, I could hear him whispering to her too. It was actually kind of funny.

I kind of miss hearing his computer say "You've got mail!" now that I've moved.

While I was living there, someone asked me what I would do if anyone ever broke into my apartment and threatened me (because I didn't own a gun). I told them I would tap on the wall and whisper "Could you come help me?" My neighbor was Russian and I don't believe there was much that he was afraid of.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:52 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,392,706 times
I'm in Santa Monica in a first floor apartment in a 50's or 60's building. It's not that the walls are thin but the cheapo landlord hasn't replaced noisy cabinet doors on a common wall (they make a "thud" every time you close them that comes right through the wall.) My previous neighbors had a small child and would be up at all hours closing the darn things. My bedroom is right below my upstairs neighbors kitchen. If she is up there walking around late (which she likes to do) I can't sleep. The hardwood floors transmit noise very effectively

So yeah, lesson learned, I plan to move to a place with nobody above me. I'm not in a big hurry though being month-to-month and absolutely hating moving. My new next door neighbor is quiet as a mouse and I asked the upstairs neighbor if she could keep it down late at night!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:03 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,818,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You lived in a dingbat !

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingbat_(building)

I did too !

Sounds of passion...ewww
I actually lived in more than one Dingbat. The one in question was only a 2 story job. Once I was in a 4 story one (and wondered how it would do in a big shaker ... never got to find out!).

Old 06-28-2018, 10:48 PM

119 posts, read 107,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueSoCal View Post
I've been living at this apartment for about 2 months, and thus far it seems like a great place. The neighbors and apartment managers are very friendly, and it's very reasonably priced. However, there is one thing that I'm having a tough time getting used to: Very thin walls. I actually heard somebody in another apartment snoring a few times. When somebody nearby is watching a movie, my apartment gets blasted pretty heavily. I can hear people talking on the phone, so I assume they probably hear my phone conversations too. I already use headphones to listen to the radio and/or to music, and also to block out other music/TV sounds that I don't want to hear.

My question: This is the first apartment I have rented. How common is this level of wall thinness? If and when I move next time, I want to take wall thickness into consideration when I choose an apartment. And for those who have experienced paper thin walls, do you have any advice for a thin wall newbie? Thanks!

Edit: In the title, it should be "experienced" not "experience"
Anything wood-framed without cement floors and/or double-studded walls is probably going to invade your sound privacy. I assume that it's either not cost effective to soundproof apartments (as much as possible) or the builders just don't care because they know renters have limited options.

If the word apartment was literal, noise would not escape each unit into other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles