U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 08:48 AM

5 posts, read 3,416 times

Advertisements

Ask the neighbors if they want to build a barrier.....

It's can be worth it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 07:33 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,110,818 times
I live in a condo on Santa Monica's Ocean Avenue. Very expensive condos, and very thin walls.

Over the years I've heard a woman's high heels clacking on the floors, babies crying, dogs barking, people arguing, having sex, playing music, typing, and exercising.

Lately, it's been very quiet. Haven't heard anything. It all depends on the neighbors. I have two quiet ones, for now.

I've long considered moving because of the thin walls.

Don't imagine that just because a building is expensive that the walls aren't very thin.

I normally wear ear plugs whenever I'm at home. Awake or asleep. I can still hear my radio despite the ear plugs. When I watch TV, I wear noise canceling headphones.

I haven't found white noise machines too helpful.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:38 PM

BTW, an aspiring actress lived next door to me in the early 2000s. She spend $2,000 on headshots.

I know this, because she was living with a Fox executive, who was apparently supporting her. I heard them fighting, and he screamed, "Two thousand dollars on headshots!"

This was over 15 years ago, when $2,000 was real money.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:45 PM

5,968 posts, read 3,891,349 times
We're in San Diego and thin walls and flooring are the norm in an area where 800k condo prices and 500 dollar or more monthly HOA fees are the norm. I thought I would have it made living on the highest floor of our condo unit.

Wrong. I still hear people downstairs and they hear me. I've actually been berated by downstairs neighbors who complain that I am walking too loud. This despite the fact that most of our floors are carpeted. And also that in fact that we don't wear shoes when we are home.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:13 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,024,106 times
Quote:
How common are very thin walls in apartments, and if you've experienced them how do you deal with them?
Unfortunately, very common, especially with stick-built construction (which comprises the vast majority of apartment buildings in LA area).

Until renters demand better quality, this is what you're stuck with. Solution? Move out of LA to somewhere less expensive and buy a single-family home.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:27 PM

126 posts, read 56,640 times
Before we bought the first of 9 houses in our second year of marriage, we lived in apartments. Some of the more notable occurrences were newlyweds spending their first night in their new apartment. We even heard the phone call to the bride's mother later on. Another was a couple into spanking. We heard the spanking or whipping and the girl squealing. The last major one was a girl yelling out, "do not stick it in there". This is besides their arguments and loud phone calls, music and TV. As soon as our lease was up we moved into a house and no going back after you have experienced your own house.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:34 AM

There are some expensive townhouses that have what are variously called "party walls" or "double walls." (Depending on the market.)

These "common" walls have a gap of several inches between them. Essentially, two walls separated by empty space. Ideally, the floors between units should likewise not connect. You should have only space between the walls.

From the outside, it looks like one common wall. But really, it's two walls very close together. The gap within the walls prevents sound from passing through. Sound causes walls to vibrate, but this vibration (unless the sound is very loud) doesn't pass over the gap.

I've found a couple of townhouses in Santa Monica that are so built. Such townhouses are usually no more than ten years old, and sell for well over $2 million.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:17 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,292,079 times
don't know if we had thin walls but one previous tenant had to buy stethoscope so that he can hear better if his neighbors are having sex

Old 07-05-2018, 03:34 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,024,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
don't know if we had thin walls but one previous tenant had to buy stethoscope so that he can hear better if his neighbors are having sex
your "tenant" huh?

Old 07-05-2018, 03:40 PM

247 posts, read 122,513 times
Sadly, this is the upshot of skyrocketing real estate values. The basic, el cheapo construction of the past, when rents were low, and you got what you paid for. Now, you gotta pay millions for the same coziness with your random neighbors that the lowlives used to have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles