U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,950,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
UH...........isn't Amtrak supposedly a private business, roadways are state/federal property?????

And who is forcing these OBSOLETE TRAINS on this private business..............can't they buy those things on the open market?????
Because we have wacky rules in the Railroad Industry , that prevent Freight and Amtrak from upgrading properly without stupid rules. We could have a private National Passenger service like alot of countries... But Politics and old 1950 rules are preventing this , same is happening in the Airline Industry and roads to a lesser extent. Amtrak isn't a private business otherwise it wouldn't be subject to Congress which is the reason for the lack of funding. Even with Amtrak breaking ridership records Congress hasn't increased funded to replaced trains and tracks. Although there Pet Projects have been funded and Private Freight has gotten billions over the past decade. Highways and Roads are also funded by Congress and the state , and revice 5x the amount of $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 12:58 AM

9,197 posts, read 14,495,274 times
Quote:
UH...........isn't Amtrak supposedly a private business, roadways are state/federal property?????

And who is forcing these OBSOLETE TRAINS on this private business..............can't they buy those things on the open market?????
Can't the private sector just buy and redo these obsolete roadways and keep the potholes filled? (Dare - submit the idea to any of your favorite House Republicans, and see how quickly a bill will be drawn up...)
We want to be able to compare the Coke Highway with Bud 101.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:48 AM

13,457 posts, read 25,390,889 times
Quote:
No, completely public, almost a la USPS.

I too enjoy riding the train, I was so jealous that my wife/kids got to ride it a few weeks ago (through places I've never been at that!).

Old 12-22-2011, 06:04 AM

4,122 posts, read 10,726,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Other than holiday weekends, the congestion BETWEEN SF and LA is unremarkable. Whereas, WITHIN each metro the congestion is grinding and ongoing. THEREFORE ... spend money on INTRAURBAN transit, not INTERURBAN transit.
But on holiday weekends, and there are about 10 of those a year, the traffic on the I-5 is terrible for a 8 or 10 or 12 hour drive, depending on your destination. And on non-holiday time periods the congestion caused by the truck freight is a real nuisance. You're cruising along at a certain speed that I won't post on a publicly accessible forum , and then BAM! Truck A decides to pass Truck B and everyone has to slow down to 62 MPH while Truck A driving at 62 MPH crawls pass Truck B driving at 60 MPH. And it takes those two trucks about 5 minutes or so to complete their axle dance before you can get back up to speed.

You go through that about a dozen times on a typical trip, and you begin to see the need for something different from what we've got. So, ok if we aren't going to build HSR, we still need to spend some money doubling the capacity of the I-5 between the Grapevine and Stockton from 4 lanes to 8 lanes.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:47 AM

12,825 posts, read 20,846,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
But on holiday weekends, and there are about 10 of those a year, the traffic on the I-5 is terrible for a 8 or 10 or 12 hour drive, depending on your destination. And on non-holiday time periods the congestion caused by the truck freight is a real nuisance. You're cruising along at a certain speed that I won't post on a publicly accessible forum , and then BAM! Truck A decides to pass Truck B and everyone has to slow down to 62 MPH while Truck A driving at 62 MPH crawls pass Truck B driving at 60 MPH. And it takes those two trucks about 5 minutes or so to complete their axle dance before you can get back up to speed.

You go through that about a dozen times on a typical trip, and you begin to see the need for something different from what we've got. So, ok if we aren't going to build HSR, we still need to spend some money doubling the capacity of the I-5 between the Grapevine and Stockton from 4 lanes to 8 lanes.
And this is different from a 4 lane autobahn how? Nothing is perfect. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 PM

17,681 posts, read 17,749,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
No, completely public, almost a la USPS.

I too enjoy riding the train, I was so jealous that my wife/kids got to ride it a few weeks ago (through places I've never been at that!).

Yeah, I think I am going to try to get a cheap ticket on Amtrak......Spokane to Seattle...........that would be a reall nice ride. I have done the Kennewick to Portland.....really beautiful territory.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:50 PM

17,681 posts, read 17,749,595 times
Well, I really missed the boat on this one. I had no idea that Amtrak was REALLY owned by the Federal Government. I do not agree with the Government owning Amtrak.......but they do........another flub for me

If Amtrak operates the HSR in Ca.............well, heap some more debt onto the 15 TRILLION.

Amtrak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The National Railroad Passenger Corporation, doing business as Amtrak (reporting mark AMTK), is a government-owned corporation[1] that was organized on May 1, 1971, to provide intercity passenger train service in the United States. "Amtrak" is a portmanteau of the words "America" and "track".[2] It is headquartered at Union Station in Washington, D.C.[3]

Old 12-22-2011, 06:11 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,495,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
B Highways and Roads are also funded by Congress and the state , and revice 5x the amount of $$$.
The funding priorities have been dominated by automobile-related concerns for many decades.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:50 PM

13,457 posts, read 25,390,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The funding priorities have been dominated by automobile-related concerns for many decades.
Wonder if car/oil companies are behind all of the funding going to roads.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:30 PM

6,195 posts, read 8,017,170 times
The HSR will never be a part of the California landscape for a couple of reasons, and the major reason can be found in the history of the rail system known as the red cars.
They traveled to Long Beach, and plans were in the works to extend the system into Pasadena.
Well, One company,odly enough, a car manufacturer,(General Motors) felt Los Angeles needed a freeway system instead of a rail system, so they had a huge market for their cars, and poured big bucks, and political influence to construct the first freeway in the state.(Arroyo Seco Parkway).
You can bet the farm, many auto manufactures were in on the meetings when the HSR plans were being discussed.
No one could be so dense as to think the auto manufacturing companies would just stand by , and allow their sales to disappear because the population would switch to rail.
Californians will never be weaned away from their cars, and HSR will go the way of the red cars.
Local rail service like the gold line and metro link will stay around, and be successful because they fill a need for daily commute too and from work, but a long distance rail system isn't a strong enough magnet to lure drivers from their current means of transportation.
Bob.

Last edited by CALGUY; 12-22-2011 at 09:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles