U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 07:14 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,950,991 times

Advertisements

The Fares could be lower along the NEC , if Congress would allow them to be....they don't because there afraid Amtrak will destroy the Airliner Industry in this region. Which is what is happening , Amtrak now carries 60% of the travel market along the NEC ever since Amtrak lower advanced booked trains by 70% in some cases. People have no choice but to drive , given the opportunity to take the train or bus they take it....which is what happens in this region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 11:19 PM

457 posts, read 669,238 times
I am probably in the minority, but I welcome the HSR. Remember, airline industry is rapidly consolidating and it is on its way to becoming and oligopoly. The prices will almost always be set in collusion going forward. I need to fly from LA to PHX tomorrow for an urgent need and just googled the prices. It is the exactly the same (~ $350 round trip) for ALL airlines. I can't afford it. But also I just don't feel like driving 6+ hours during the day and waste my entire day on the road, but I have to do it. An HSR would have been an ideal solution. I understand the public funding concerns, but we have to remember all forms of transportation are already heavily subsidized (e.g., air traffic control and airports)

Old 12-28-2011, 11:42 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,650,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
I am probably in the minority, but I welcome the HSR. Remember, airline industry is rapidly consolidating and it is on its way to becoming and oligopoly. The prices will almost always be set in collusion going forward. I need to fly from LA to PHX tomorrow for an urgent need and just googled the prices. It is the exactly the same (~ $350 round trip) for ALL airlines. I can't afford it. But also I just don't feel like driving 6+ hours during the day and waste my entire day on the road, but I have to do it. An HSR would have been an ideal solution. I understand the public funding concerns, but we have to remember all forms of transportation are already heavily subsidized (e.g., air traffic control and airports)
Exactly. The cost of not building HSR is not nothing. But the ideological opposition to this project simply cannot come to grips with this. We continue to subsidize highways and airports with hundreds of billions of tax dollars, yet these same folks remain silent. But watch the squishy middle swing back in favor of HSR once once gas tops $4.00 pr gallon. Again. For good.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:47 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,692,295 times
Where does all the gas tax money go? I'm sure not seeing it in the roads.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:57 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,846,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Exactly. The cost of not building HSR is not nothing. But the ideological opposition to this project simply cannot come to grips with this. We continue to subsidize highways and airports with hundreds of billions of tax dollars, yet these same folks remain silent. But watch the squishy middle swing back in favor of HSR once once gas tops $4.00 pr gallon. Again. For good.
The opposition is not "ideological" - it's LOGICAL.

It's called, the business model did not work as advertised. It's not about ideology. In fact, at this point, those clinging to it ... AS CURRENTLY CONCEIVED - are the true ideologues.

Maybe someone brilliant will come up with a real good plan for intercity rail here. In the meantime, there are a boatload of transit projects within the metro areas in need of URGENT ATTENTION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles