U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:41 PM

31,500 posts, read 34,751,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
this is even worse than the time in the 70's when the SM government passed a law that stated anybody who had an unused bedroom in their home had to rent it out.
Tell me more. I like learning about weird laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 12:56 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,854,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
The only problem is, that many idiot drivers consider the "bike lane" to be literally an extra turning lane.
Actually, if you notice, most bike lanes turn into a common use lane within the approach to a controlled intersection. This is designated by a broken white line (whereas the normal bike lane is a solid white line).These lanes can be shared with cars making a right turn, as long as they do so within the designation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
as i cyclist, i find it annoying to have to wait for a car to change a light. i don't like running red lights, but sometimes there's no way around it. i do find it strange though that the new sensors are in the car lanes. they should have just placed them gratuitous number in the bike lanes in the city.
I see bicyclists run light and stop signs ALL the time in an extremely dangerous fashion. I live in an area surrounded by all-way stop signs, and for some reason, bikes think the CVC doesnt apply to them. It appears (to me) that the worst offenders are the ones who are decked out in full racing garb like they are about to challenge Lance for the 'Tour. They always run stop signs, and give nice glares when you don't yield for them (while they are breaking traffic laws). I notice a majority of these idiots congregate at Petes on Montana, not far from my house. They also leave their bikes laying down on the pavement, blocking the sidewalk while they enjoy their morning coffee.

My biggest gripe of support of local bicyclists is the major 'sh*t don't stink' attitude. I'm far from a believer that this mentality is shared with everyone who rides a bicycle, but in my experience, many do.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:02 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,709,059 times
It depends on your city's laws but generally it's illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk (and very dangerous to yourself and others if you're speeding along not paying attention to pedestrians). If there's no designated separate bike lane, then bicyclists can generally ride in the street, sharing the road with traffic. At least that's how it is in the Bay Area. If a street is a designated bike path but it doesn't have a separate bike lane to the right it will have a bike symbol here and there in the right lane, I think mainly as a reminder to car drivers to try not to run over bikers.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:07 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,854,850 times
Illegal in sm per 3.12.540(a) mc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-19-2011, 02:10 PM

671 posts, read 1,915,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
It depends on your city's laws but generally it's illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk (and very dangerous to yourself and others if you're speeding along not paying attention to pedestrians).
In Santa Monica, it is illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk.

In Los Angeles, it is illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk in a manner that is dangerous to people or property. Basically pedestrians have the right of way on sidewalks, which makes sense.

More info here

LA County Sidewalk Riding: Part1 « LADOT Bike Blog

Old 12-20-2011, 01:44 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,677,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Tell me more. I like learning about weird laws.
I cannot remember much of it, I was just a small child at the time, but I do remember my aunt and other SM residents attending hearings to oppose having to rent out unused rooms -- perhaps it never made it into law and was only a proposal but I do remember my aunt attending hearings on the matter.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:49 AM

298 posts, read 346,040 times
Most people around here (including myself) ride bikes on the sidewalk. Then again, it's Santa Ana where laws are merely suggestions.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:42 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,710,985 times
hey, that's why they call Santa Monica "the people's republic" :lol:

Old 12-21-2011, 05:34 PM

401 posts, read 655,337 times
Many cities have adopted a Bike Plan as part of the "Mobility Element" of the state required "General Plan" which every city must have.

As part of the Bike Plan, certain roads are designated as preferred bike routes. Some routes will simply get a sign saying "Share the Road". The next level up will get a painted bike lane. Some roads will get "sharrows" which are arrows with a bike painted in the middle of a lane. This designates that cars and bikes share the lane.. meaning bikes may ride in the middle of the lane (which is already legal on roads too narrow to accomodate a car and bike simultaneously).

The next level up are "Enhanced Bike Routes" which are non-major roads that have intersections every-so-often that force cars to turn left or right while allowing bikes to continue straight on.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:44 PM

29,100 posts, read 22,764,415 times
Bicyclists and motorists have to learn how to get along - the bicyclists don't seem to understand they have to follow the same rules the motorists do and the motorists think think the bicyclists don't belong on the road. I think it is good that the bicyclists can trigger the sensor. I am both a motorist and a bicyclist and it annoys me when bicyclists act as they are exempt from vehicle laws when I am driving and riding - I stop at lights and use turn signals when I am riding a bike. When I am driving - I try to give bicyclists room but they often hog the lane. Seriously, it is up to the bicyclists to start obeying the law - drivers act pissed off at my fellow biking brethren- and sisters - because you behave like maniacs. Let's realize that drivers are the primary users of the road - ride safely and legally and there will be room on the road for both of us. Drivers - be patient - there are many bicyclists who are not maniacs and just want to share the road. Remember, we are allowed in the left turn lane - so don't crowd us out. I think both drivers and bicyclists will learn to share the road safely and amiably if we both chillout and understand both points of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles