Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:14 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
I think many people that hate SUV's don't have kids or haul anything around. I could see how you would think an SUV is impracticable. But my wife drives an SUV because there aren't many cars out there that will allow her to: drive our three children around (plus the twice weekly carpool), the kids friends, their backpacks, the dog, soccer equipment, the mountain of Costco food, an Easy Up canopy (for our kids soccer games and cross country meets), that new table we bought, etc. So if there is another type of vehicle that can fit stuff like that in it, the please make me aware. I think the Costco food alone makes a regular sedan impossible. My car can't fit the Costco stuff without it overflowing over into the passenger seats, but my wife's SUV can. Until then, I think my family needs at least our one SUV. Are there people who don't need SUV's- definitely. But many people need a vehicle this size.
Well if your carpooling more than 3 kids, then from a seating standpoint you will need something that has a 2nd back seat, especially with a dog. I grew up with 3 other siblings and we always had 4 door cars. dog stayed at home and kids at home during shopping trips.

Now i have a convertible that I use if I need to haul lumber or bulky or odd shaped items.

I too may very well end up buying an suv, but its going to be used exclusively to haul a trailer. Have no choice, but would like to get a smaller sized one if it can pull a load decently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 08:47 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
On occasions, due to the variable nature of moving and stopped traffic.

I do split lanes (lane sharing), and it is not illegal to do so as per the vehicle code.
I mean this completely seriously, if it weren't for motorcyclists....I'd hate to guess how many fewer organs there would be out there for donation. Please take the time to sign the back of your license etc.

This is anti-cyclist....this is just the reality of riding a bike and coming across the occasional bad or distracted driver.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:32 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
That scared me to death when I moved here! I'd never seen it before, so I had no idea to watch for it. There's still times motorcycle drivers go too fast -- if traffic's stopped, go 20, not 60, as we can't see you until the very last second otherwise (especially between carpool lanes and regular lanes, as it's often required to get out of the carpool lane to exit).

I don't agree with it being legal, but it is. I do my best to watch, but I had a motorcycle nearly hit me the other day when I was completely stopped. Now, what can I do about that?
I smoked when I was younger, and whilst in my car I'd ash my cigarette out the window. A few times in slow freeway traffic I nearly had my arm taken off by a motorcycle rider.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch View Post
I've been driving trucks and SUV's my whole life (since 16), which is about 30 years and I'm female. What I hate about the people that now drive large trucks and SUV's don't know how to drive them. They think they can drive them like a sports car, it doesn't work that way. What I really don't appreaciate is the little girls driving big trucks/SUV's who are on the phone and think there in a little sports car and think they own the road. Someone needs to teach them how to drive a Truck/SUV. I've never been in an accident and that's not bad condsidering I've been driving for 30 years, and I'm a female driving an SUV. The SUV came in handy with 3 boys, being a single mom, and going camping, fishing, surfing and diving with my sons. Now they are all grown-up and on their own and I still drive an SUV. After so many years in a Truck/SUV, I tried driving a car felt like I was sitting on the asfault. Just my opinion ....
Sadly, I'd estimate 98% of all current SUV drivers do not even know the difference between independent suspension and a solid axle, or the difference between coil and leaf springs. And, forget trying to explain to them that four wheel drive doesn't equate to superior handling to all two wheel drive passenger cars.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
I think many people that hate SUV's don't have kids or haul anything around. I could see how you would think an SUV is impracticable. But my wife drives an SUV because there aren't many cars out there that will allow her to: drive our three children around (plus the twice weekly carpool), the kids friends, their backpacks, the dog, soccer equipment, the mountain of Costco food, an Easy Up canopy (for our kids soccer games and cross country meets), that new table we bought, etc. So if there is another type of vehicle that can fit stuff like that in it, the please make me aware. I think the Costco food alone makes a regular sedan impossible. My car can't fit the Costco stuff without it overflowing over into the passenger seats, but my wife's SUV can. Until then, I think my family needs at least our one SUV. Are there people who don't need SUV's- definitely. But many people need a vehicle this size.
My neighbor handles her kids and their friends just fine with a wagon.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:59 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Whoops, my post above is supposed to say "Isn't" anti-cyclist.

Stay safe.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:54 AM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,086,066 times
It's a family car alternative to the minivan. Plus, they are safer than a smaller car if you get in an accident. We were T-boned in an SUV and the car barely budged. A friend's mom in a similar accident driving a sedan had major surgery and car was totaled. She is lucky to be alive. If you get hit by one and you are in a little car be careful. Plus, there are many big rigs on the road. If you can't beat them, join them. I agree they should be more fuel effiecient and they will be soon. I read somewhere the bigger SUV's are going green in 2008. I don't think people should get one if they don't need one but it is the best choice for our family.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:50 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
James T,
What is the type of wagon that seats seven people? I'm curious because I would prefer a wagon if it had the seats.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:25 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I mean this completely seriously, if it weren't for motorcyclists....I'd hate to guess how many fewer organs there would be out there for donation. Please take the time to sign the back of your license etc.

This is anti-cyclist....this is just the reality of riding a bike and coming across the occasional bad or distracted driver.
I'm an organ donor.

And I was before I rode as well.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
James T,
What is the type of wagon that seats seven people? I'm curious because I would prefer a wagon if it had the seats.
I can hear Boss Radio 93 KHJ playing when I look at this, cruising to Zuma through Malibu Canyon...

"She was black as the night
Louie was whiter than white
Danger, danger when you taste brown sugar..."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles