U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:08 PM

5 posts, read 14,915 times

Advertisements

Sooo im planning to move to LA after College graduation in May 2013 and have a few questions....

1. How much should I save up?
2. Good location to move for actors?
3. Jobs that will hire upon or prior to moving there?
4. Are the people in LA/Hollywood friendly?

As of now I will be moving there alone and want to network/meet as many people as possible to know before I get there.....

Anything else you think I should know, please feel free to share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:43 PM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Actor View Post
Sooo im planning to move to LA after College graduation in May 2013 and have a few questions....

A bazillion dollars!

Quote:
I hear Pacoima is a hotbed of thespian activity.

Quote:
Ummmm...try these guys:

World Modeling Agency - Sherman Oaks - Sherman Oaks, CA

Quote:
You would think so with the Cali sun and weather and all, but no! No! They are not. Kinda antisocial actually...see this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-hot-spot.html

Old 12-21-2011, 04:01 AM

Uhhh thanks...................................

can someone give me some genuine, realistic feedback please

Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 AM

128 posts, read 196,502 times
Quote:

As of now I will be moving there alone and want to network/meet as many people as possible to know before I get there.....

Anything else you think I should know, please feel free to share!
lol, dont let this thread be your guide to peoples friendliness. people are cool here. u get what u put in. so if your nice and friendly so will people be. i dont hang in hollywood, i find it fake and dirty. some parts are ok but super pricey. be realistic and live outside the hollywood area and drive in for any acting related things. los angeles is a huge metro area.

its pretty pricey here...id not come with less than 10k. i hear of people getting jobs through phone interview. if your young and attractive you should land a job. (non acting i mean like waiter or something) or get a roommate that will help with costs. good luck to ya!!!

Old 12-21-2011, 11:55 AM

4,100 posts, read 7,811,918 times
Are you working now? If you don't have a job that will transfer, try to get one as soon as possible. You still need to save a lot of money, but even with money in the bank you will need a job. Landlords will want to see that you are employed before renting to you. Also, you will have living expenses to pay while you look for acting work.

How much should you save? All that you can. If you end up saving more than you need, you'll end up with money in the bank - and that's a good thing.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:52 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,829,715 times
NO place is good to move to to look for acting jobs. I assume you mean professional jobs, not community theatre. Unless you have lots of experience and/or super talented/good looking, your odds are one in a gazillion. Have you gone to acting school? Performed in local theatrre productions? Gotten involved in the techncial aspects of film production? Appeared in commercial advertisements? I thought that people stopped moving to L.A. hoping for acting jobs back in the 1940s. If you take courses in theatre arts (UCLA,USC and California Institute of the Arts are among the many schools with good programs, and I'm sure there are also some near where you live now), you might get a better feel for what you could pursue. I'd take a trip to L.A., visit theater arts schools, visit communjity theater groups (talk to people who have tried to break into acting, etc.), go to restaurants and bars in Hollywood, etc. and talk to people who have been waiting for years and years for that big break. If getting into the entertainment industry is important, broadern your scope as to the types of jobs you'd be interested in. And realistically consider the possibility that acting may end up just being an avocation, as it has been for many aspiring actors.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Are you working now? If you don't have a job that will transfer, try to get one as soon as possible. You still need to save a lot of money, but even with money in the bank you will need a job. Landlords will want to see that you are employed before renting to you. Also, you will have living expenses to pay while you look for acting work.

How much should you save? All that you can. If you end up saving more than you need, you'll end up with money in the bank - and that's a good thing.
valuable information! Thanks so much!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:57 PM

31,471 posts, read 34,718,140 times
Depending on the kind of work you will be doing you might have to wait until you get there so you can go on a personal interview, and sometimes it's just a matter of walkiing in at the right time or meeting someone who knows of an opening.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
NO place is good to move to to look for acting jobs. I assume you mean professional jobs, not community theatre. Unless you have lots of experience and/or super talented/good looking, your odds are one in a gazillion. Have you gone to acting school? Performed in local theatrre productions? Gotten involved in the techncial aspects of film production? Appeared in commercial advertisements? I thought that people stopped moving to L.A. hoping for acting jobs back in the 1940s. If you take courses in theatre arts (UCLA,USC and California Institute of the Arts are among the many schools with good programs, and I'm sure there are also some near where you live now), you might get a better feel for what you could pursue. I'd take a trip to L.A., visit theater arts schools, visit communjity theater groups (talk to people who have tried to break into acting, etc.), go to restaurants and bars in Hollywood, etc. and talk to people who have been waiting for years and years for that big break. If getting into the entertainment industry is important, broadern your scope as to the types of jobs you'd be interested in. And realistically consider the possibility that acting may end up just being an avocation, as it has been for many aspiring actors.

Trust I am NOT one of those with plans to move to LA to become a star overnight! I am aware that it takes time, a long time at that and I am willing to put in the hardwork and dedication until then. I am currently pursuing my BFA in Theatre-Performance and have taken a lot of technical classes in the process aware that its difficult to dive straight into acting and become this hollywood superstar that I DO NOT want to be, I'm NOT coming to Los Angeles to chase that! In my longterm goal I just want to become a successful actor/director/screenwriter and if it takes starting from the bottom to get there, I'm DOWN......there? Lol but yeah I have also been in several community theatre and school productions involved in both technical and performance, I am very well knowledgeable and always open to gaining more experience in both for a career, but of course as I stated my long term goal is to be an actor/director/screenwriter creating my own projects not having to worry about an audition....Long term meaning in the next 5-10 years! I thought about graduate school at USC, UCLA or other colleges getting my MFA in Acting or Film but I hate undergrad as it is so I prefer to just take classes solely related to theatre, acting and film. I have browsed this forum and saw the stories of individuals with aspirations to be a model and act making their way to be this big hollywood star....NOT ME! I could care less about fame or bright lights, I just know Hollywood and Los Angeles is the place to be most successful in what I want to pursue!

You have provided great feedback as well and I will very much consider it! Thank You!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 PM

16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times
Quote:
At least 20k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or