U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:43 AM

13,456 posts, read 25,361,602 times

Advertisements

I was born in Long Beach, Los Angeles County ldo.

We lived in Anaheim at the time, and moved over to the IE when I was 2.

I have never lived in LA County, was only born there and I never claim to be from there. I did grow up a Lakers/Kings (NHL) fan though.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:49 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,830,230 times
I grew up in Van Nuys. We were within the city limits of Los Angeles. Our mailing address was Van Nuys, not Los Angeles, though I am sure Los Angeles would have worked, especially with the zip code. As with others, we told locals we were from Van Nuys, and those from far away (e.g., relatives in the Midwest) we were from Los Angeles. one point I rented an apartment in west Los Angeles on a street virtually surrounded by Culver City. My mailing address was, as I recall, Culver City, though I was technically in the City of L.A. To many people, especially tourists, "Los Angeles" may be used to encompass not just the City of Los Angeles, but also the much larger County of Los Angeles, and even adjoining counties (e.g., Orange County, site of Disneyland), hence it's tough to respond when someone says something like "I'm going to go to Los Angeles for 4 days. Where should I stay?" They could actually be staying in Anaheim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 03:25 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,258,716 times
To Angelenos and SoCal residents in general, I would totally refer to Van Nuys as "Van Nuys" and not Los Angeles.

When I was growing up, I told people I lived in "Hollywood" and "Chinatown."

Never "Los Angeles"--because that would have been way too vague.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:25 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,285,228 times
I grew up on the border of LA and Orange county, but on the LA side.

The answer changes depending on who I'm talking to. With people who aren't familiar with the area I say LA, if they have some understanding then I say the city.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:59 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,882,388 times
You kinda go by what other people understand. Outside of LA County I say "LA", but when in LA County I say "Carson" even though half the people don't seem to have heard of us.

Even OC people could say "LA" around most of the country, but they prefer not to.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:17 PM

Yeah, the only time I ever mention "LA" in telling people where I'm from (outside of CA), is that Corona is 40ish miles SE of LA.

I have a friend that grew up in South OC. She doesn't even seem to know where Corona is.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 PM

16,613 posts, read 34,664,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

I have a friend that grew up in South OC. She doesn't even seem to know where Corona is.
Went down to my nephew's house in San Clemente last year for a short visit. I got there ~6pm. His roommate, another locally-raised 27-year-old, asked if I was spending the night rather than "drive all the way back to Fontana." He was somewhat shocked to learn that not only was I not spending the night, at the time of night I'd be heading back (11pm) the whole trip would take me less than an hour.

That's what I call the "South OC insularity."

Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Went down to my nephew's house in San Clemente last year for a short visit. I got there ~6pm. His roommate, another locally-raised 27-year-old, asked if I was spending the night rather than "drive all the way back to Fontana." He was somewhat shocked to learn that not only was I not spending the night, at the time of night I'd be heading back (11pm) the whole trip would take me less than an hour.

That's what I call the "South OC insularity."
Hahahahahahahahaha.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 PM

376 posts, read 614,960 times
Whenever people ask me where I grew up, no matter where they are I first say Lawndale. Half the time even people from LA would give me a blank stare. (I always called it a one offramp city). If I get a blank stare, I say near Manhattan Beach. Usually they know then. If not I throw out LA.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:01 PM

237 posts, read 595,573 times
"I'm from California."

They ask where in CA

"I live in [add the suburb or out of LA city limits place]".

Where is that, they ask.

"Well, it's in the [greater] Los Angeles area," or " . . .suburb of Los Angeles."

That's usually how my answers go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or