U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:50 AM

2,174 posts, read 4,516,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepchic View Post
Whenever people ask me where I grew up, no matter where they are I first say Lawndale. Half the time even people from LA would give me a blank stare. (I always called it a one offramp city). If I get a blank stare, I say near Manhattan Beach. Usually they know then. If not I throw out LA.
I'm old enough to remember that if someone said Lawndale, the first thing I'd think of is the rock band :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawndale_(band))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 07:17 PM

4,100 posts, read 7,813,937 times
I lived in the San Gabriel Valley. My answer depends on who asks. I start with Pasadena if I think the person might be familiar with the Rose Bowl or the parade. Otherwise, I say, "near Los Angeles" (not "L.A.").

Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 PM

8,205 posts, read 22,792,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
I started a similar thread in Chicago (where I live now)... but there have been a couple of instances where I've been asked by people I've just met if I'm really from L.A. (and I guess, not from The O.C. or something). I've even been asked if my former address says "Los Angeles". The strange part is two of these were people from S.F. and Malibu.

I've lived all around the South Bay (L.A., not S.F.) growing up, so I'm wondering what's your opinion on the boundaries of saying you're from L.A.? City proper? L.A. county? Does it matter?
I didn't know that people from LA referred to Orange County as "The O.C."? I thought it was something only out-of-staters said. And S.F. is West Bay, San Jose is South Bay.

I briefly lived in Santa Monica as well as on the border of Venice/Marina Del Rey. I also have family that live in Riverside/Inland Empire. I find that most people across the country have heard of Santa Monica, Venice, and Riverside. And when I mention the Inland Empire, I follow up with "It's near LA".

Occasionally I will just say LA to reference the above, though.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:33 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,985,091 times
Here's the only correct answer:

To say you are really from LA, you must be from:
-The city of LA
-Santa Monica
-Culver City
-Beverly Hills
-West Hollywood
-San Fernando
-Certain unincorporated parts of LA county like MDR and Ladera Heights
-Glendale (pushing it)
-Burbank (pushing it)

But city of LA, Beverly Hills, Culver City, WeHo, and Santa Monica are pretty much synonymous with each other. The four small cities above are pretty much completely surrounded with LA and are filled with traditional LA culture that the South Bay and SGV does not have. Santa Monica barely differs from Venice or Brentwood. Culver City is just like Mar Vista and West LA. Beverly Hills is like Westwood or Century City. WeHo is like Miracle Mile or Hollywood. Glendale/Burbank are much like the rest of the SFV. The culture and neighborhoods do not change as a result of city limits.

If you are from the South Bay or SGV, the appropriate answer within LA county is to say you are from Pasadena, TOrrance, etc. To outsiders, you are from the suburbs of LA, or "near LA". However if you live in SGV and South Bay and claim to be form LA, it's much more excusable than being from Ventura, Long Beach, or OC and claiming you're from LA.

Nothing makes my blood boil more than some idiot from Anaheim or Thousand Oaks saying they are from "here." No, you have nothing to do with LA. You have more in common with Ohio.

If youre from OC, LB, Ventura, or the outer reaches of LA county (Claremont?), even saying you're in the suburbs of LA is a stretch.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:45 AM

10 posts, read 58,424 times
I kinda stick with the rule of thumb that if you're from LA LA (inside the boundary of LA) then you're from LA. But then I'm born here so.. it's the local thing.

All I know is, not to be mean or anything, but people who's moved here, who hasn't grown up on Chick Hearn and Fatburger. should never say they're "from" LA.

It throws off our reputation. ;P

Old 12-24-2011, 11:01 AM

10 posts, read 58,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post

Nothing makes my blood boil more than some idiot from Anaheim or Thousand Oaks saying they are from "here." No, you have nothing to do with LA. You have more in common with Ohio.
I know some of those. I won't say they're an idiot and I love em but, it's darn annoying.

What's worse, is all their friends really ARE from Ohio and are like, omg, you're from LA! So you know all the stuff.. tell me, what is...

Stop tryin to represent!! You are from ventura. What they have TWO gangs. That's about how "LA" it is.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:43 AM

6,298 posts, read 15,776,414 times
I grew up in La Crescenta, which even most Angelenos have never heard of. If I got the blank stare, I'd clarify: "North of Burbank" (okay, La Crescenta is actually north of Glendale, but more people have heard of Burbank due to The Tonight Show, etc.).

When talking to someone out of town, I say I live in L.A., and then clarify further with "San Fernando Valley" and if they ask for more detail, "Sherman Oaks".

I'd feel comfortable saying I live in L.A. if I lived anywhere in L.A. County, but that's still a bit weird because L.A. County extends way out into the Mojave Desert to the north, and no way is that area anything like the L.A. that most people think of!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:50 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,882,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Here's the only correct answer:

To say you are really from LA, you must be from:
-The city of LA
-Santa Monica
-Culver City
-Beverly Hills
-West Hollywood
-San Fernando
-Certain unincorporated parts of LA county like MDR and Ladera Heights
-Glendale (pushing it)
-Burbank (pushing it)

But city of LA, Beverly Hills, Culver City, WeHo, and Santa Monica are pretty much synonymous with each other. The four small cities above are pretty much completely surrounded with LA and are filled with traditional LA culture that the South Bay and SGV does not have. Santa Monica barely differs from Venice or Brentwood. Culver City is just like Mar Vista and West LA. Beverly Hills is like Westwood or Century City. WeHo is like Miracle Mile or Hollywood. Glendale/Burbank are much like the rest of the SFV. The culture and neighborhoods do not change as a result of city limits.

If you are from the South Bay or SGV, the appropriate answer within LA county is to say you are from Pasadena, TOrrance, etc. To outsiders, you are from the suburbs of LA, or "near LA". However if you live in SGV and South Bay and claim to be form LA, it's much more excusable than being from Ventura, Long Beach, or OC and claiming you're from LA.

If youre from OC, LB, Ventura, or the outer reaches of LA county (Claremont?), even saying you're in the suburbs of LA is a stretch.
What about Compton, Inglewood, Huntington Park, Hawthorne, East LA, Athens, Maywood,...? And you do realize that Long Beach is in LA County? How could it possibly be in the same category as OC and Ventura??

Old 12-24-2011, 12:14 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,965,388 times
If I'm talking to a local, I say I'm from Pasadena (my current home).

Otherwise, I say I'm from L.A. Pasadena is close enough to DTLA that the term "the L.A. area" isn't necessary, but I would certainly use it if I lived further out. It's annoying when you ask someone where they're from and they tell you name some obscure neighborhood or incorporated area of a larger metro. Just get to the point. Certain burbs in L.A. are well-known on their own, but most aren't. The guy from DC has probably never heard of Chatsworth or Bell Gardens or Santa Fe Springs, so save it.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:50 PM

29,100 posts, read 22,743,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadao View Post
I know some of those. I won't say they're an idiot and I love em but, it's darn annoying.

What's worse, is all their friends really ARE from Ohio and are like, omg, you're from LA! So you know all the stuff.. tell me, what is...

Stop tryin to represent!! You are from ventura. What they have TWO gangs. That's about how "LA" it is.
So ... the definition of what LA "is" - is that there are 41,000 gang members who are active in the city limits? Hmnnn - silly me - I always thought there was more to it then that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or