U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 PM

13,450 posts, read 25,355,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
ragnarkar: Don't entirely agree, but okay. Then again, if you tell some Frenchman you're from LA, they'll ask all about Hollywood, Beverly Hills, movie stars, Santa Monica, Lakers, LA culture and history etc. which you have minimal experience with being from OC (unless you lived in LA before and moved to OC)
I talk to Europeans every now and then, and generally their understanding of Los Angeles and California is a lot more pedestrian than you mention above.

I've heard everything from "I hear they have good volleyball there", to the ubiquitous "So you live where it's like Baywatch?"

Old 12-27-2011, 08:19 PM

29,100 posts, read 22,737,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i think the context matters more. where you are and who you are talking to really inform how you speak about your home region.
lets say i live in huntington park, ca. if im talking to LA folks, some of them will know where this is at (its about 4mi. southeast of DTLA, very close) but not always. i consider HP, LA. its not LA proper, but its closer to the center of LA (defined by its historic core) than most other places in LA itself. so outside of LA a person from HP might say: im from LA. but in LA they will most likely say HP. if the persons gives them a bewildered look. they can then say, "HP, 10 minutes east of south central. no? slauson? pacific blvd? anything?"

now lets say someone lives in fontana, riverside, pomona etc. anyone in LA would not consider that LA. its too far. but it is understandable when someone from those places says they are from LA when speaking to people who dont know the area.

what about cypress park, boyle heights or el sereno? in LA those people would say LA (maybe even east LA). and anywhere else they might also just say LA. saying el sereno means almost nothing to most people[outside of LA].

anyhow, once you are in OC, you cant say you are from LA. i think even once you go west of the 605 you are no longer tied to LA. but everyone has their own definitions.
@ The One, you are absolutely correct. I can identify with disgruntled's definition of LA (and disgruntled - that was VERY well said - it even made me question if I can call myself an Angeleno in good conscience)! However , I think much more thought has to be put into what is "LA". I would certainly call Huntington Park "LA" - plus unincorporated adjacent areas like Walnut Park, Florence-Graham - and further south - Willowbrook. Simply because a city incorparated and became it's own entity does not mean that is entirely separate from the idea of LA. When you look at the history of Los Angeles - the above areas were most certainly an integral part of the City's makeup - especially if you focus on the 1930's - 1940's - with the redlined areas preventing Negroes from living east of Alameda - and the formation of white gangs to keep the status quo and the black gangs to protect their families and hoods from attacks.

Someone mentioned Northridge and much of the SFV being part of "LA" while poo-poohing Huntington Park and Southgate, presumably because the SFV is part of the city of Los Angeles and SG and HP are independent cities. A few years a go there was a movement for the SFV to secede from the city of Los Angeles. Doesn't this fact seem to indicate that the residents of the SFV (regardless of the fact that the seccession failed) don't neccesarily feel that they are part of LA? Plenty of people from HP and SG will say they are "from LA" however - and they don't need to de- incorporate (if that is even possible or even a word) and be annexed to Los Angeles to prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:39 AM

6,823 posts, read 12,243,580 times
Quote:
ragnarkar: Don't entirely agree, but okay. Then again, if you tell some Frenchman you're from LA, they'll ask all about Hollywood, Beverly Hills, movie stars, Santa Monica, Lakers, LA culture and history etc. which you have minimal experience with being from OC (unless you lived in LA before and moved to OC)
Well, I live within walking distance of the LA County boundary and crossed it on foot countless times.. the city in OC where I live is actually closer to Downtown LA than Newport Beach and almost equal-distant to Santa Monica. So I guess I kinda identify with both "cultures" (if you can call it that) a bit.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:58 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,257,641 times
I've never felt any area in the SFV is really Los Angeles. I grew up in Los Angeles proper (area code 213)--so this is not an "outsider" point of view.

SFV is so culturally different from LA--Many Angelenos can't really relate to the heat, the cold, and the commute... not to mention there's an actual physical barrier between Los Angeles and SFV.

Places like Northridge and Van Nuys aren't really "LA."

Old 12-28-2011, 12:25 PM

397 posts, read 824,273 times
This is just stupid.

If you live in Los Angeles county you're technically from LA! Anyone local is going to understand the neighborhood system we use. And if you're talking to someone local you're going to say your neighborhood/city. If you're talking to someone who isn't local saying you're from LA is fine. Los Angeles = SoCal except for San Diego.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:30 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,472,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I've never felt any area in the SFV is really Los Angeles.
Would it be considered moreso if one considers how many of it's residents work in L.A.?

Old 12-28-2011, 01:34 PM

74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
I started a similar thread in Chicago (where I live now)... but there have been a couple of instances where I've been asked by people I've just met if I'm really from L.A. (and I guess, not from The O.C. or something). I've even been asked if my former address says "Los Angeles". The strange part is two of these were people from S.F. and Malibu.

I've lived all around the South Bay (L.A., not S.F.) growing up, so I'm wondering what's your opinion on the boundaries of saying you're from L.A.? City proper? L.A. county? Does it matter?
To me, if you are talking to people from out of the state saying you are from Los Angeles can mean anything from the city limits, to OC, down in the So Bay area, San Fernando Valley and/or San Gabriel valley. If you tell someone you are from Glendora Ca, they would have no clue where that is, but if you say, Los Angeles they would have an idea. Then, if they ask questions you can explain you lived in a suburb of the big city.

Nita

Old 12-28-2011, 01:40 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,472,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
To me, if you are talking to people from out of the state saying you are from Los Angeles can mean anything from the city limits, to OC, down in the So Bay area, San Fernando Valley and/or San Gabriel valley. If you tell someone you are from Glendora Ca, they would have no clue where that is, but if you say, Los Angeles they would have an idea. Then, if they ask questions you can explain you lived in a suburb of the big city.
People from outside the area only know of the Big City; to speak of smaller enclaves within the area may lead to the bewildered listener becoming...disgruntled.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:41 PM

74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times
Quote:
Here's the only correct answer:

To say you are really from LA, you must be from:
-The city of LA
-Santa Monica
-Culver City
-Beverly Hills
-West Hollywood
-San Fernando
-Certain unincorporated parts of LA county like MDR and Ladera Heights
-Glendale (pushing it)
-Burbank (pushing it)

But city of LA, Beverly Hills, Culver City, WeHo, and Santa Monica are pretty much synonymous with each other. The four small cities above are pretty much completely surrounded with LA and are filled with traditional LA culture that the South Bay and SGV does not have. Santa Monica barely differs from Venice or Brentwood. Culver City is just like Mar Vista and West LA. Beverly Hills is like Westwood or Century City. WeHo is like Miracle Mile or Hollywood. Glendale/Burbank are much like the rest of the SFV. The culture and neighborhoods do not change as a result of city limits.

If you are from the South Bay or SGV, the appropriate answer within LA county is to say you are from Pasadena, TOrrance, etc. To outsiders, you are from the suburbs of LA, or "near LA". However if you live in SGV and South Bay and claim to be form LA, it's much more excusable than being from Ventura, Long Beach, or OC and claiming you're from LA.

Nothing makes my blood boil more than some idiot from Anaheim or Thousand Oaks saying they are from "here." No, you have nothing to do with LA. You have more in common with Ohio.

If youre from OC, LB, Ventura, or the outer reaches of LA county (Claremont?), even saying you're in the suburbs of LA is a stretch.
sorry, that is a matter of opinion. Like I mentioned, bot people from outside of Ca saying I lived in such and such city means nothing so saying I was raised in Los Angeles is perfectly acceptable. It is like saying I am from Dallas when you are from one of the burbs or I lived in Albuquerque when you lived in a small town 20 miles south.

Nita

Old 12-30-2011, 01:28 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,679,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I've never felt any area in the SFV is really Los Angeles. I grew up in Los Angeles proper (area code 213)--so this is not an "outsider" point of view.

SFV is so culturally different from LA--Many Angelenos can't really relate to the heat, the cold, and the commute... not to mention there's an actual physical barrier between Los Angeles and SFV.

Places like Northridge and Van Nuys aren't really "LA."
Then let the SFV go like they wanted to in 2002. It was the rest of "LA" that kept the SFV part of the city of LA. It is like the basin considers the SFV as LA when it is convienient for them (ie. $$$tax$$$), but otherwise they shun it and don't consider it "LA".

Lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or