U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:01 PM

372 posts, read 678,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I"ve met many people in social settings and I ask where they're from, they reply with "LA" or "here". So I say, what part? More often than not the answer is something like Newport Beach, Valencia, Corona, etc. You are not from LA.You are from a suburb, or a whole other city and county.
I thought I would chime in as an life-long OC resident. Maybe there is split between people who moved from other parts to OC, and people who were born and raised in OC -- but I don't think I know anyone who would consider themselves as being "from LA." It's not that LA isn't great, but I think the vast majority of people who have lived in OC for awhile see themselves as being from OC, and don't have a desire to be associated with LA.

Also, being a Newport Beach native, who has spent my whole life here, it's hard to imagine any legit Newport Beach resident saying they were "from LA." If anything, Newport Beach residents think they are hot stuff and would bend over backwards to fit it into the conversation that they are from Newport Beach (like i'm doing right now), and would not want to divert attention from that by saying they are "from LA."

The same can probably be said about most people that live in the interesting areas of OC (Newport, Laguna, Huntington, San Clemente etc...). I have only personal, anecdotal evidence, but I think the vast majority of people from those areas have strong pride in where they are from and would not want to be associated with LA (every Angels fan I know is still disgusted by having "Los Angeles" in our team's name). It's not like we don't like LA, or don't think its a great place, its just that we have pride from where we are from, and think its also a great place.

Most of the people I know, however, were born and raised in this area, so I can't really speak about people who move from elsewhere. I wouldn't be suprised, however, to hear someone who moved from Iowa to OC, and then represent as being "from LA," especially when out of state. Whether this is because they just don't know any better, or they think it sounds better to be from LA, or they just don't have OC pride like us natives to... I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 11:37 PM

571 posts, read 1,752,277 times
To me personally when I refer to L.A. I count everything from Riverside to Pomona to Santa Clarita to Simi Valley to the O.C. I know most people don't though.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 PM

174 posts, read 482,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
If I'm talking to a local, I say I'm from Pasadena (my current home).

Otherwise, I say I'm from L.A. Pasadena is close enough to DTLA that the term "the L.A. area" isn't necessary, but I would certainly use it if I lived further out. It's annoying when you ask someone where they're from and they tell you name some obscure neighborhood or incorporated area of a larger metro. Just get to the point. Certain burbs in L.A. are well-known on their own, but most aren't. The guy from DC has probably never heard of Chatsworth or Bell Gardens or Santa Fe Springs, so save it.
I'm the exact opposite. As a proponent of geographic diversity, I prefer when people say where they actually live. If someone is from Norwalk, for example, they could follow it up by adding "in Los Angeles County, California" to appease the geographically illiterate. I cant stand it when people say that Kings Island is in "Cincinnati" (Mason,) Disney World is in "Orlando" (Lake Buena Vista,) Stone Mountain is in "Atlanta" (it's a town of it's own,) or Disneyland is in "L.A." (or worse yet LA/La which would suggest Louisiana.) The names of metropolitan centers are severely overused on all fronts IMHO.

Pasadena is well known across the USA, has a long history of it's own, and is several miles from Downtown Los Angeles.

I'm from east of the Mississippi BTW.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,749,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu7 View Post
I'm the exact opposite. As a proponent of geographic diversity, I prefer when people say where they actually live. If someone is from Norwalk, for example, they could follow it up by adding "in Los Angeles County, California" to appease the geographically illiterate. I cant stand it when people say that Kings Island is in "Cincinnati" (Mason,) Disney World is in "Orlando" (Lake Buena Vista,) Stone Mountain is in "Atlanta" (it's a town of it's own,) or Disneyland is in "L.A." (or worse yet LA/La which would suggest Louisiana.) The names of metropolitan centers are severely overused on all fronts IMHO.

Pasadena is well known across the USA, has a long history of it's own, and is several miles from Downtown Los Angeles.

I'm from east of the Mississippi BTW.
Gotcha

Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 AM

1,368 posts, read 2,991,540 times
For me if I go to the Inland Empire or Orange County or (certainly!) Ventura County they are significantly different from LA County.

But how much different is Pomona from a Hispanic region within the SF Valley? To me they don't seem a lot different. But maybe we are just talking about LA for white people here...

As someone who lives in Pasadena, we are kind of on the bridge between being "from LA" and not being "from LA." Pasadenans certainly view their culture and lifestyle as being somewhat distinct from LA and to me are proud and happy with the differences. Many work and/or play in LA very regularly though, the distance is actually quite small and unless someone is pretty darn familiar with the LA area, they aren't going to have any idea what the difference is.

But my experience is the vast majority of people in California are at least somewhat familiar with Pasadena so if I am within the state or in some place like Las Vegas I will just tell people I am from Pasadena and they will usually know where that is. Even many people on the east coast/midwest, especially those in Big 10 country, are familiar with Pasadena so if they have Big 10 association, I will similarly tell them I am from Pasadena.

Thing that some in this thread have to understand is that to someone who is not at all familiar with Southern California, San Diego, Irvine, Riverside, Santa Monica, Los Angeles, etc...there is no difference to them. They have no idea. So the default is to play to the level of the audience's understanding, which often means oversimplifying some pretty distinct differences to those who actually understand. But that's a necessary evil when informing people in a few sentences about something that could easily take an hour more to make people understand.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM

5,857 posts, read 11,336,024 times
20 years ago when I first move out here, I was "moving to LA". Now I identify myself as either from Huntington Beach or Orange County. LA is the City of Los Angeles.

Although they are in LA County, cities such as Burbank, Long Beach, Pasadena (et al) are their own jurisdictions.

I even consider Hollywood (part of LA city) and West Hollywood (separate city) as a Separate area.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:56 PM

571 posts, read 1,047,620 times
Now people can say they're from OC without having to explain themselves where exactly it's located. That's really the only good thing that came out of that tv show. At one time I used to say soCal or LA for geographic simplification. Contrary to what some Angelenos think, it's NOT because we think being associated with LA is some badge of coolness. For most people it's probably the opposite what with the stigma people have with LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or