U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:15 PM

725 posts, read 2,664,616 times

Advertisements

I started a similar thread in Chicago (where I live now)... but there have been a couple of instances where I've been asked by people I've just met if I'm really from L.A. (and I guess, not from The O.C. or something). I've even been asked if my former address says "Los Angeles". The strange part is two of these were people from S.F. and Malibu.

I've lived all around the South Bay (L.A., not S.F.) growing up, so I'm wondering what's your opinion on the boundaries of saying you're from L.A.? City proper? L.A. county? Does it matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 02:29 PM

2,300 posts, read 4,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
I started a similar thread in Chicago (where I live now)... but there have been a couple of instances where I've been asked by people I've just met if I'm really from L.A. (and I guess, not from The O.C. or something). I've even been asked if my former address says "Los Angeles". The strange part is two of these were people from S.F. and Malibu.

I've lived all around the South Bay (L.A., not S.F.) growing up, so I'm wondering what's your opinion on the boundaries of saying you're from L.A.? City proper? L.A. county? Does it matter?
How interesting! I would think if you were from Los Angeles City (like myself) or Los Angeles County, you could still claim the L.A. moniker. My sons live in NoHo, but they claim L.A. as home when asked by folks from other areas.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:32 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,527,516 times
if i'm talking to someone from LA county i will say i live in encino.

if i'm talking to someone from outisde of LA county i tell them that i live in LA. if this person is familiar with LA, i'll mention the valley if they are looking for a more specific location.

LA is a weird place in this regard. i lived a few years in santa monica and marina del rey, which aren't a part of LA city proper. however, these places feel much more like 'the city' if you know what i mean. now that i live in the valley, it's practically an endless suburb that just happens to also be in LA city proper. strange stuff.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,472,526 times
For people outside the area, L.A. is the region, not just the city. Which kind of makes sense, since cities fade into each other without notice. One has to judge the sophistication of the questioning party. You can say you're from Century City, Encino, Redondo Beach, Venice, Torrance, Compton, etc., and you would just gain a confused stare. So prepare to back it up with "In the L.A. area."

Going down to San Juan Capistrano to visit family, I have to always say "In the OC" before people get it.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:18 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,936,811 times
I'm not a native (and am not currently living in LA), but I think it really depends. While living within LA city limits we lived in Hollywood, and when talking to someone else local I said I lived in Hollywood. When talking to people outside of the LA area I said "LA." Later lived in South Pasadena and again, when talking to people not in the area said "LA." If someone is familiar with LA (city/county/whatever) they can always ask you where in LA if they're interested. I think, outside of a few official contexts, city limits are even more irrelevant in L.A. than they are in most cities. (and since I wasn't a native, I obviously wasn't trying to say that I was "originally from" LA, but rather where we were living at the time.)

Old 12-21-2011, 08:49 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,813,588 times
Eastern Ventura County, Southern LA County, Western Riverside and San Bernardino Counties, Orange County.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:41 PM

13,450 posts, read 25,355,178 times
Once you're beyond the San Gabriel/San Bernardino/San Jacinto Mountains/Santa Susana Mountains, everything in Southern California sans San Diego is "LA".

Old 12-21-2011, 10:18 PM

2,431 posts, read 2,940,602 times
I was born and raised in Los Angeles, which appears much larger than it's 460 square metropolitan miles, due to all the suburbs and smaller cities that cluster it's perimeter. But not all are actual cities, but rather large municipal districts like Hollywood, Watts, Van Nuys and San Pedro. And yes, you should actually have lived within L.A County to claim you're from there. And also, visiting Disneyland doesn't qualify you to comment on life in Los Angeles. Lol

Old 12-21-2011, 11:56 PM

29,100 posts, read 22,737,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
For people outside the area, L.A. is the region, not just the city. Which kind of makes sense, since cities fade into each other without notice. One has to judge the sophistication of the questioning party. You can say you're from Century City, Encino, Redondo Beach, Venice, Torrance, Compton, etc., and you would just gain a confused stare. So prepare to back it up with "In the L.A. area."

Going down to San Juan Capistrano to visit family, I have to always say "In the OC" before people get it.
I was born in Orange County - live in Los Angeles County - I bleed Dodger Blue - I work and study in Orange County but those and my accident of birth doesn't make me an Orange County person - BUT - I do get annoyed with those who call it "the OC", just as I am annoyed with those who call California "Cali "- i can only justify this by imagining my reaction if someone started calling it "the LA" - think apocalypse!!!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:51 AM

9,197 posts, read 14,472,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I do get annoyed with those who call it "the OC", just as I am annoyed with those who call California "Cali "- i can only justify this by imagining my reaction if someone started calling it "the LA" - think apocalypse!!!
It's because of the TV show (lots of people think you're talking about Florida when you say Orange County anyway), and it's fun to otherwise annoy anybody who likes the place with something silly like saying "The OC." Just like it's fun to annoy any SF people with "Frisco" or "San Fran." It's just so easy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or