U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,925,558 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be there for about 8 hours, from 10am to 6pm, flying to LA, visiting, then taking a bus to vegas at 6.

can you guys tell me which subway or light rail station is the "hollywood" area where the attractions are at? such as the celeb names on the sidewalk and stuff.

and the famous beaches too, which station on rail.

also is there anywhere else that is worthwhile, by rail, no need for taxi to go to? I'm not a museum kind of person, more of just famous areas kind of person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 07:00 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,713,757 times
you have to take a shuttle from "LAX" to the nearest subway station that will take you to the "hollywood" area with the celeb names on the sidewalk and stuff, there's a station right there at the place with all the giant elephants and stuff and the theater named after a camera and a country in asia and stuff

Old 12-24-2011, 03:40 PM

anyone who can help?

Old 12-24-2011, 08:15 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,681,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
anyone who can help?
8 hours? Not a lot of time. Pick ONE thing and that is it.

If you go to hollywood (Grauman's Chinese Theatre) is located along a subway stop (Red Line: Hollywood Blvd & Highland).

If you are coming in via LAX you would take one of the shuttle buses to the GREEN LINE (Light Rail), transfer from the GREEN to the BLUE line (towards downtown la), transfer from the BLUE line to the RED line once you reach downtown la.

That is a lot of transfers, esp. if you are carrying a lot of luggage.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
8 hours? Not a lot of time. Pick ONE thing and that is it.

If you go to hollywood (Grauman's Chinese Theatre) is located along a subway stop (Red Line: Hollywood Blvd & Highland).

If you are coming in via LAX you would take one of the shuttle buses to the GREEN LINE (Light Rail), transfer from the GREEN to the BLUE line (towards downtown la), transfer from the BLUE line to the RED line once you reach downtown la.

That is a lot of transfers, esp. if you are carrying a lot of luggage.

I will just have a backpack, for 2 days worth of clothing. I think 8 hours would be enough, do you know if theres a station for a beach? Thanks for the info on hollywood. Most likely I will stop by a beach, hollywood, and chinatown/downtown before catching the vegas bus.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I will just have a backpack, for 2 days worth of clothing. I think 8 hours would be enough, do you know if theres a station for a beach? Thanks for the info on hollywood. Most likely I will stop by a beach, hollywood, and chinatown/downtown before catching the vegas bus.

The beach is a tough one. There are ZERO rail stops that will get you there (one is under construction to Santa Monica but that won't open until 2015).

Where are you catching the bus to Vegas? Downtown LA?

If that is the case you can easily do Hollywood, Downtown, etc. I would suggest doing Little Tokyo over Chinatown. Easier to get to it and more walkable and interesting. Little Tokyo is located in downtown LA, Chinatown immediately north of downtown LA.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
The beach is a tough one. There are ZERO rail stops that will get you there (one is under construction to Santa Monica but that won't open until 2015).

Where are you catching the bus to Vegas? Downtown LA?

If that is the case you can easily do Hollywood, Downtown, etc. I would suggest doing Little Tokyo over Chinatown. Easier to get to it and more walkable and interesting. Little Tokyo is located in downtown LA, Chinatown immediately north of downtown LA.

Other than the 2 areas, is there anything that i should go to as a visitor?

so the easiest/less time consuming route is airport to hollywood, then hollywood to chinatown, walk to downtown/japantown, then leave downtown on bus?

Old 12-24-2011, 10:23 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,261,294 times
I used to live in Chinatown--for almost 7 years.

Little Tokyo is great for a weekend afternoon, but it has nothing on Chinatown in terms of walkability and convenience.

Chinatown literally has everything you need EVERYDAY at an affordable price within walking distance. Little Tokyo is more or less a tourist destination with some hip and cool amenities.

There are many older Chinese immigrants who hardly ever leave Chinatown (because they don't know English and/or don't know how to drive) and are able to survive just fine and dandy for decades. That's a testament of how awesome Chinatown is--despite its horrible odor.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I used to live in Chinatown--for almost 7 years.

Little Tokyo is great for a weekend afternoon, but it has nothing on Chinatown in terms of walkability and convenience.

Chinatown literally has everything you need EVERYDAY at an affordable price within walking distance. Little Tokyo is more or less a tourist destination with some hip and cool amenities.

There are many older Chinese immigrants who hardly ever leave Chinatown (because they don't know English and/or don't know how to drive) and are able to survive just fine and dandy for decades. That's a testament of how awesome Chinatown is--despite its horrible odor.

I'm a american born chinese, so yea every city i visit first thing i do is check their chinatown if they have it. I think thats what every chinese always do, see it, and ask those who are there which part of china are the from

Old 12-25-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
I'm a american born chinese, so yea every city i visit first thing i do is check their chinatown if they have it. I think thats what every chinese always do, see it, and ask those who are there which part of china are the from
I had no idea...then by all means make a visit to Chinatown. You can catch the GOLD line to the Chinatown stop from Union Station in Downtown LA. Here's the map.

Gold Line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles