Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,902 times

Advertisements

I put down a $600 deposit 2 weeks ago on a rental unit. I now cannot move in and have requested my deposit to be refunded, I did not sign any agreement with them. Am I entitled to get my deposit back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 07:03 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times
Technically no since you didn't sign an agreement. All real estate contracts are required to be in writing. Had you signed an agreement you would be bound by its terms and most likely would forfeit your deposit unless they were able to rent the space. For example, if they have a waiting list you wouldn't lose any money.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:07 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,055 times
What would be the point of a deposit if it were 100% refundable? More importantly, you said you have requested your deposit back but you don't say what the response was. You also don't say what was said, in the way of an oral agreement, when the deposit was given. Unless you're willing to go to small claims court, and face a "he said, he said" situation, you may be out of uck. I imagine the landlord will say they held the apartment off the market, and potentially lost rent, at your request. What is your interpretation?

Old 12-23-2011, 01:17 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,149 times
Look at this thread. If I were you I would write a request to receive your deposit back and if you don't proceed in small claims court or hire an attorney.

Non-refundable deposits appear to be illegal in the state of CA, even if there is an agreement in place saying it's nonrefundable, which in this case there is not. There is no reason to think that a deposit would be non-refundable by "default" as one poster in this thread seems to imply.

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...ation-fee.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles