U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2012, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 14,477,291 times
Reputation: 6333

Advertisements

Lots of super-secret aircraft being built and tested there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 PM
 
Location: California
2,830 posts, read 2,024,637 times
Reputation: 2692
I realize this is a somewhat old thread, but I figure I'll give my 2 cents. Despite the rumors, the antelope valley is actually quite beautiful. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I find the high desert very pretty. As for some of the things to like about Palmdale:

- High desert climate (90-100 degree dry summers, nearly flawless fall/spring weather, and mild winters)
- Unique aerospace history
- Low congestion
- Comfortable pace, not too fast and not too sleepy
- Poppy festival and poppy reserve (springtime is arguably the best time of year here!)
- Relatively inexpensive housing with desirable areas to live (i.e. quartz hill, southwest palmdale)
- Good shopping/dining options (especially near the Palmdale mall... all of the good places are in close proximity to eachother)
- Close to LA

Really, as long as you choose the right area of Palmdale to live in (avoid east of the 14), the quality of life is actually quite good. It's a surprisingly comfortable place to live.

Last edited by ryanst530; 09-06-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 13,541,002 times
Reputation: 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Really, as long as you choose the right area of Palmdale to live in (avoid east of the 14), the quality of life is actually quite good. It's a surprisingly comfortable place to live.
I could be wrong but according to Google Maps it seems like most of the developed land in Palmdale east of the 14?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 03:36 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,416 posts, read 10,986,429 times
Reputation: 5615
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Lots of super-secret aircraft being built and tested there.
Well, obviously it is not that "super secret"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM
 
11 posts, read 37,952 times
Reputation: 22
I'm actually moving to an apartment in the 93550 zip code next week, and even tho the apartment isn't in the best part of Palmdale, it's neither the worst either, It's a really well and nice taken care of apartment complex and I love the view of the mountains where I'm at...And I'm only 3 miles away from the Antelope valley mall and all the shopping and restaurants....

As far as living in the Antelope valley... Coming from the San Fernando valley, and the short time I've been there so far, I already love it...There's no smog from the city, I love that there's always a breeze...Not as crowded, more wide open space and not as tight and cramped as city life in the San Fernando valley....

So just my input thus far...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 05:49 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,675 times
Reputation: 10
Nothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2012, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,965 posts, read 3,311,143 times
Reputation: 5582
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I realize this is a somewhat old thread, but I figure I'll give my 2 cents. Despite the rumors, the antelope valley is actually quite beautiful. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I find the high desert very pretty. As for some of the things to like about Palmdale:

- High desert climate (90-100 degree dry summers, nearly flawless fall/spring weather, and mild winters)
- Unique aerospace history
- Low congestion
- Comfortable pace, not too fast and not too sleepy
- Poppy festival and poppy reserve (springtime is arguably the best time of year here!)
- Relatively inexpensive housing with desirable areas to live (i.e. quartz hill, southwest palmdale)
- Good shopping/dining options (especially near the Palmdale mall... all of the good places are in close proximity to eachother)
- Close to LA

Really, as long as you choose the right area of Palmdale to live in (avoid east of the 14), the quality of life is actually quite good. It's a surprisingly comfortable place to live.
Those are things that I noticed about it as well. One neat thing about the Antelope Valley is that they get the monsoonal flow in the summertime and the accompanying thunderstorms, which are a spectacular sight! We don't get those dont here in the LA Basin anywhere west of Riverside or south of Santa Clarita. As I type this, I see the thunderstorms building up over the mountains around Palmdale.

Quote:
Really, as long as you choose the right area of Palmdale to live in (avoid east of the 14), the quality of life is actually quite good. It's a surprisingly comfortable place to live.
I especially agree with that! The AV is great on the west side!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 10:44 AM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
14,232 posts, read 16,086,294 times
Reputation: 13698
I knew a friend that commuted from Palmdale to Burbank. He gave it up and moved to Burbank after commuting for 3 years. He told me that on the worse days, the commute could take 2-3 hours, one way. Of course, this is an exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 06:10 PM
 
11 posts, read 24,611 times
Reputation: 31
AV has affordable housing (you can buy a nice 4 bedroom, newer home for under $200k!!! Can't do that in Santa Clarita!!!)
more spread out...extreem heat (high desert), minor league baseball team, Antelope Valley Fair, AV mall is pretty decent and has some nice restaurants, hiking, motocross trails, KPoppy Festival, great Moonsoonal weather with thunderstorms that you don't get closer to LA... and it's on the way to VEGAS!...don't go east of the 14 - high crime areas! Lots of gang activity in certain areas... Check out the FBI site for crime stats...overall it's good if you can't afford to live in the Santa Clarita valley...however the commute is a KILLER for anyone working in LA and beyond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Dallas
490 posts, read 590,240 times
Reputation: 251
Spent a couple days there a few years ago on business. Parts of Palmdale were very nice and others looked crime ridden and dangerous. We took a drive about 100 miles north and I loved the scenery.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top