Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:50 PM

147 posts, read 311,981 times

Advertisements

So I finished my trip to SoCal and LA, and I just keep getting amazed every single time I go.

The "ghetto" areas of LA were not that apparent this time around, as we just focused on more of the touristy sites as well as some local areas around the LA and San Francisco neighbourhood.

The atmosphere was incredible! Coming from Canada and seeing all the lush greenery paired with the blue skies and subtle breeze made it feel like it was July in December. The palm trees just added to that tropical feeling while maintaining the metropolitan feel especially in down town.

We only had one day to spend in the city of Angels so we decided to drive through Hollywood, and check out one of the joints I went to last time (The Griddle), followed by some photos around The Screen Actors Guild and just a stroll around Sunset Boulevard. I spotted some amazing cars including my personal favourite, the Ferrari California. However, we didn't spot any celebrities but it was alright, as the surroundings more than made up for it.

After visiting Hollywood, we went to Beverly Hills for a drive around to see the absolutely magnificent houses and the posh neighbourhoods with beautiful and tidy streets lined with palm trees as tall as apartment buildings. We drove all the way to the top and spent about 30 minutes at the Mulholland Scenic Overlook to take some pictures with the family in the surroundings, and then proceeded to Griffith Observatory (pointed out by a fellow City-Data member *thanks by the way*). The observatory was breath taking, we parked about 15 minutes away and walked up the hill taking pictures of the Hollywood sign, the panoramic views of Los Angeles as well as the observatory itself. We then drove back down and turned onto Los Feliz Boulevard which was very clean and I liked it so much that I intend to purchase a Condo there pretty soon. After all the sightseeing, we paid our respects to the Vermont Gurudwara before heading back to our hotel for the night.

Overall, the experience was brilliant and I wish that we had more time to explore the surroundings. There are just a couple things that I didn't like in the area (I may have just run into some bad circumstances so I won't generalize) the biggest thing that really bugged me was the customer service in the retail stores. We went to a Wal-Mart (albeit in Oakland .. I know) and the girl that rang our things through didn't say hi or make eye contact for that matter, she just kept her head down and started scanning the items (at a snail pace) and then just asked for the money once it was all done. I encountered the same type of service at a few other retail chains but whatever, it didn't deter my interest so it's okay. I have been back in Canada for about 24 hours now, but find myself continually looking through my pictures to recreate such an amazing city and state.

Last edited by LAHopeful; 12-26-2011 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 01:56 PM

12 posts, read 48,697 times
My experience, now living in a small southern town with only Walmart as major shopping is that I think that Walmarts are like that all over. I am originally from CA and remember many good things about it.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:44 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Some people think they are robots, it's okay, you'll get used to it.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:04 AM

147 posts, read 311,981 times
It was ok, it's just that we are VERY accustomed to very polite customer service and I guess the old adage about Canadians being uber polite is true!

Old 12-27-2011, 12:13 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAHopeful View Post
We only had one day to spend in the city of Angels so we decided to drive through Hollywood, and check out one of the joints I went to last time (The Griddle),
How was The Griddle? I always see a long line so I have never tried it.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:03 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,631 times
I know how you feel, what you experienced is the LA Vibe .. It really is special to LA.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:25 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
It was ok, it's just that we are VERY accustomed to very polite customer service and I guess the old adage about Canadians being uber polite is true!
Yes it is. When I was a kid, I was at the wave pool inside the water park at West Edmonton Mall. I fell right at the shore, and immediately, there was like 5 people to help me up.

Most Americans would point at laugh.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:05 AM

129 posts, read 316,825 times
I think I recommended the Griffith - one of my favorite places in LA. It's just magical, isn't it? So glad you loved it and had a great trip!

Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yes it is. When I was a kid, I was at the wave pool inside the water park at West Edmonton Mall. I fell right at the shore, and immediately, there was like 5 people to help me up.

Most Americans would point at laugh.
Proof that L.A. isnt the cold, hard, fearful place that outsiders and the media love to portray it as. I really do appreciate reading about LAHopeful's wonderful experience in my hometown. My love has run deep since the day I first realized what spectacular city I was born in. There are so many more things to do and fascinating places to see there and it breaks my heart that so many people from overseas dont respect it the way I do but instead are just greedily exploiting it like a dirty feeding trough. Smh...

Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,786 times
Quote:
Try visiting the northeastern United States and that Walmart robot in Oakland might seem quite pleasant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles