U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 AM

7,141 posts, read 19,547,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertin75 View Post
mmm that's disappointing. Seems like I should look somewhere else to live.

Looks like I will be dealing with all the noise from heavy traffic, people, etc. even if I live in any of those small towns.

Not the best place to live for someone like me who practices daily yoga and meditation and who is looking for a quiet place to live.
LA's urban environment differs from cities further east. sure the sprawl seems to go on forever, but it's also usually not that difficult to find some peace and quiet in the suburbs. Not many places in LA have the hustle and bustle of people walking around the streets like in NYC. the bigger issue is everyone trying to drive themselves where they need to be at the same time. hence, we have serious congestion problems. finding a place to live that is a little ways from a busy boulevard or freeway shouldn't be that difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 01:16 PM

1,648 posts, read 1,874,580 times
Quote:

Looks like I will be dealing with all the noise from heavy traffic, people, etc. even if I live in any of those small towns.

Not the best place to live for someone like me who practices daily yoga and meditation and who is looking for a quiet place to live.
If you are looking for tranquil living here it will take more effort on your part.

I am self employed, so it's great during the day because most people are at work.

BUT I have to adjust my activities like going to the market or doing any kind of shopping before 3 o'clock because I know I am going to hit traffic.

The first wave of traffic is from the kids getting out of school and then an hour later with people starting to come home from work.

It's congested, people are always rushing you and you can feel stressed out just from driving across town.

It really all depends on where you live and how much you can afford. You'd have to know the area and choose something that is convenient for you.

Once you get settled in, you could possibly purchase a condo in a gated community, near a gym, shopping, etc and be more in a quiet, peaceful place.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 PM

13,457 posts, read 25,390,889 times
Quote:

I'd suggest you go out for a visit first. Indiana it is not.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:24 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,495,274 times
Quote:

Good hiking in the Whittier hills, with great views. This area, La Habra Heights, and Hacienda Heights (other side of the hill) might have something that fits.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:40 PM

185 posts, read 439,485 times
Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I wanted to ask you how are california girls? are they down to earth, laid back, easy to become friends with, etc.

Indiana girls are pretty though to become friends with. It has taken me almost a year for the girls at the gym that I almost see daily to say a simple hello.

Before that I could see them on the supermarket (yes, very likely as I live in a 10,000 population small town) and they never returned a simple hello.

Thanks

Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 PM

29,100 posts, read 22,786,187 times
I have found women here to be rather friendly - if you are looking for friendship - or a more involved relationship - it helps to be active in a group that engages in your interests. Don't be pushy - simply enjoy your time with the ladies in your group - and something will eventually develop.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I have found women here to be rather friendly - if you are looking for friendship - or a more involved relationship - it helps to be active in a group that engages in your interests. Don't be pushy - simply enjoy your time with the ladies in your group - and something will eventually develop.
Like what types of groups?

Thanks

Old 12-29-2011, 03:56 PM

29,100 posts, read 22,786,187 times
Quote:
Like what types of groups?

Thanks
What are you interested in?

Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What are you interested in?
Maybe church groups? Yoga? Meditation?

I am not sure what other groups can a single guy join.

Thanks

Old 01-04-2012, 05:19 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,550,785 times
they are close to LA, but they are not LA. they are more suburban. but still within the scope of greater LA. its all run together. but with very distinct characteristics.
zoom in and check the maps below. it will give you a better idea of the difference in landscape and architecture (as well as lot size).

chinatown:
715 yale st los angeles ca - Google Maps

Boyle Heights:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cp...ed=0CCQQ8gEwAA

Montebello
701 south 5th st montebello ca - Google Maps

SFS
santa fe springs - Google Maps

Pico
pico rivera - Google Maps

Whittier
pico rivera - Google Maps
Quote:
I have been reading that most of these towns are pretty close to Los Angeles.

I for sure would not like to live in LA that has a huge population (more than 3 million ).

Is the traffic and population in these towns expected to be equal or similar to LA?

Or even though they are very close to LA they are considered separate towns?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or