U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM

185 posts, read 439,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
they are close to LA, but they are not LA. they are more suburban. but still within the scope of greater LA. its all run together. but with very distinct characteristics.
zoom in and check the maps below. it will give you a better idea of the difference in landscape and architecture (as well as lot size).

chinatown:
715 yale st los angeles ca - Google Maps

Boyle Heights:
euclid avenue los angeles - Google Maps

Montebello
701 south 5th st montebello ca - Google Maps

SFS
santa fe springs - Google Maps

Pico
pico rivera - Google Maps

Whittier
pico rivera - Google Maps
Thanks a lot for the links mate I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 06:06 PM

532 posts, read 936,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
SFS is mostly industrial so not a lot of people actually live there. Its surrounded by plenty of residential cities but many of them are pretty ghetto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Recommended for the thread starter before moving to one of the cities surrounding SFS:

Amazon.com: Spanish For Dummies Audio Set (9780470095850): Jessica Langemeier: Books

It'll keep you occupied on the drive out.
By "pretty ghetto," we have to assume that EscapeCalifornia means that the surrounding residential cities have high concentrations of Hispanics.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
By "pretty ghetto," we have to assume that EscapeCalifornia means that the surrounding residential cities have high concentrations of Hispanics.
I don't think ghetto has anything to do with Hispanics.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:00 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,480,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertin75 View Post
I don't think ghetto has anything to do with Hispanics.
He's thinking that someone else thinks so.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
He's thinking that someone else thinks so.
okidoki

Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 PM

4 posts, read 5,716 times
I've worked in SFS for 7 years and it's really not that bad, if your working there. Drive time from Whittier is about 15 min, from Cerritos it's about 20 min and from La Mirada is about 30, but this one is tricky cuz you'll be going same direction as traffic, so those accidents can hit your travel time hard. I would honestly consider Whittier. It's a little expensive but if you do the math on the time spent in traffic vs enjoying a nice place, you even out.

I live in east la so I always go opposite traffic in the morning and evening. Hope this has helped you...

Old 01-06-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocruz25 View Post
I've worked in SFS for 7 years and it's really not that bad, if your working there. Drive time from Whittier is about 15 min, from Cerritos it's about 20 min and from La Mirada is about 30, but this one is tricky cuz you'll be going same direction as traffic, so those accidents can hit your travel time hard. I would honestly consider Whittier. It's a little expensive but if you do the math on the time spent in traffic vs enjoying a nice place, you even out.

I live in east la so I always go opposite traffic in the morning and evening. Hope this has helped you...
Thanks for the info.

How about the beach? How far is the closest one?

How's the weather in that area specifically in winter?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:27 AM

4,262 posts, read 9,014,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertin75 View Post
Thanks for the info.

How about the beach? How far is the closest one?

How's the weather in that area specifically in winter?
Closest beaches to Santa Fe Springs/Whittier are Seal Beach and Belmont shores. Drive with no traffic is around 25-30 minutes.

Weather is typical LA. Not beach weather most of the time though the past few weeks have been an exception....

Old 01-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Closest beaches to Santa Fe Springs/Whittier are Seal Beach and Belmont shores. Drive with no traffic is around 25-30 minutes.

Weather is typical LA. Not beach weather most of the time though the past few weeks have been an exception....
So sunny most of the time and the weather is typically dry?

Thanks

Old 01-06-2012, 11:23 AM

29,100 posts, read 22,773,486 times
Weather varies - LA has a rainy season usually from late January - late March. However it can rain anytime. Los Angeles has a weather pattern known as "persistence" - the weather wil mostly like stay the same for a period of time. In June it is cloudy and cool during the morning to early afternoon - the sun comes out in afternoon but it doesn't get terribly hot. July - September are the hot months. Santa Ana winds start in October and November. During the winter months it can be very cold at night (35 degrees and sometimes below freezing).

There is a bicycle trail along the San Gabriel River which you can pick up in the Whittier/Santa Fe Springs area. It is about 20 mile ride to the beach (Seal Beach/Long Beach) and 15-20 miles north to the San Gabriel Mountains near Azusa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or